SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 07-01-07, 07:53 AM   #11
Demonz

Thanks Tim for starting off the day. A good set of miles in 6 days but you got in a heck of a lot of passes. I came through the Stelvio in September - (roadworks complete) awesome looking onto the hairpins. Also the Dolomites and Austrian passes same as you. Had to turn around at the bottom of the Gerlos twice - just to do it again Was a good read and brought back a hankering for another European trip. They dont market them as crash bungs but I think the pannier companies should add it - they have saved my can on a weekend trip too.
Old 08-01-07, 12:43 AM   #12
r4ce_e3nd

I went also for a trip in the Alpes in 2004 (I just gor my SV for 2 weeks...) and I enoyed it al lot!

here is a nice picture where you can NOT see the Mont Blanc

Old 08-01-07, 12:51 AM   #13
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

awesome Tim!

Certainly a to do.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 11:40 AM   #14
Helga

Thanks for that Tim - what a great read!!

Takes me back to my childhood when i lived in Switzerland (Geneva) for 9 years. Loved every minute of it - and have visited nearly every place you listed above.

Me and one of my mates are planning a trip to France/Switzerland this summer (may/june time) - i can't wait to get back to the Alps - only on a bike this time!!

I was worried about costs - but you've just reminded me that the scenery and freedom is worth every penny!
Old 08-01-07, 11:54 AM   #15
Helga

Tim - on your way to all the Cols did you visit Col Des Mosses?? (i used to go Skiing there every weekend in winter! Was about 2 hrs drive from where i lived & we had a caravan at the bottom of the Ski Piste! )
Old 08-01-07, 11:57 AM   #16
Warthog

Awesome trip, great photos, I really need to do that myself I reckon!
Old 08-01-07, 01:48 PM   #17
Jelster

Great pics Tim, have done the "Col Du Aravis" myself, and it's a nice bit of road.

The joys of motorcycle riding cannot really be explained unless you have done a trip like this. There is great scenery and some very good roads in the UK, but riding in Europe is just "better" some how. Less traffic and more respect for bikers are probably what makes it that way, but as Tim says, it doesn't have to be expensive.

Allow about £50 per day for hotel and foodl, and then just it's just fuel (and maybe some re-hydration - you drink lots of water in the Alps in the summer). Allow no more than 300 miles per day if it's twisties all the way, you'll be surprised how much hard work it really is.

Plan your routes thoughtfully - I tend to think of various bits of road I want to cover and then link them together, allowing me to be at my destination by about 4pm, because that means I'll be there by 5 Make sure you pass through a few towns though, as petrol can be a rare commodity in the Alps, especially on Sundays. Take a decent digital camera, you'll kick yourself otherwise, some of the views are really awesome - The Col du Vars comes to mind....

I've already planned my trip for this summer and I know I'm going to enjoy it.

Old 08-01-07, 01:52 PM   #18
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster

I've already planned my trip for this summer and I know I'm going to enjoy it.

Where ya goin'?
Old 08-01-07, 02:02 PM   #19
Tomcat

Last summer we went mountain biking in verbier, Switzerland. Would like to do both, but, unfortunately funds and all that so am thinking of biking over to alps and touring for abit .... have to see. Nice pics mate, very inspiring
Old 08-01-07, 06:10 PM   #20
Tim in Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helga
Tim - on your way to all the Cols did you visit Col Des Mosses?? (i used to go Skiing there every weekend in winter! Was about 2 hrs drive from where i lived & we had a caravan at the bottom of the Ski Piste! )
Didn't end up doing much in the way of Switzerland, guess I'll give it a go next time and limk up some of the passes I've still got left to do (there's a fair few!).

As for having a caravan at the bottom of the pistes, hard core, bet getting up in the morning was a chilly experience.

Thanks for the comments everyone else.