SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-16, 12:23 PM   #11
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650s to Street Triple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Thanks guys.
@Carelesschucca, when you say steering lock I take it you mean inability to turn as tightly? I do find I'd like my SV to be able to turn slightly more tightly than it can. And on bike storage as in under seat? There's not masses on the SV although the bit under the rear seat is useful for a few small bits I tend to use my Kriega 10 and or 20 bag fixed over it if I'm carrying anything bigger than sandwiches and a small U-Lock. I'm guessing the Kriega setup would work fine on a Striple.

@Scotty217. I do love the sound of my SV and my only experience of the Striple is hearing someone who lives down the road come home occaisionaly and it sounds very quiet and whirry, although by the looks of it it transforms into a great sound once moving
Yeah, steering lock as in when you are pushing the bike around it has a fairly substantial turning circle (same for slow speed maneuvering) I very quickly developed the bad habit of spinning the bike around on the side stand because the bike is tiny compared to anything else I've owned and its so easy to do...

Underseat storage on my R (2011 version) is almost non-existent, I can get a small disc lock in there or my wallet. Certainly not both, if I'm riding about I normally use a magnetic tank bag for my stuff.

The bike in general is the most practical sports bike I've had the pleasure of riding, it is really just a daytona with high bars and no fairings. I've done everything on mine from track days to 3,000 mile trips round Europe two up, I love the bike dearly and there is absolutely nothing out there that I want to change it for...

I've got an official Triumph screen for mine but I hardly ever use it I don't think the bike needs it unless I'm doing big marathon trips.

I've also got a set of Arrows for the bike which make a good difference to the noise, ironically it can make the bike really loud.

The extra power compared to the SV isn't huge but you will come to need it...

Trying to think about things I miss from my old bikes that the Street doesn't have, and the only thing I really miss from either of my suzuki's is that top end crazy bonkers rush of an IL4 600. the Street just doesn't do that crazy yeehaa let's go mental, but then again that was the reason I got rid of the gixer. The streets engine just smoothly goes about its business of pushing you along the road without having those crazy steps in power...

Honestly try one, you will love it... I still laugh at my first riding experience on a Street, I sat at the traffic lights outside the dealers and went to ride off like I would on the Gixer, gave it the same revs and dropped the clutch like I had been and away I went down Renfrew highstreet on the back wheel giggling and screaming in delight and fear, it didn't really matter either I just felt proud to be riding a British bike.

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )

Last edited by carelesschucca; 12-12-16 at 12:28 PM.
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 12:28 PM   #12
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Oh yeah there is a downside to all this, every old codger will want to warble on about how they used to ride a Triumph in the good old days and tell you how great it was compared to their mates BSA...

Oh God I'm gonna be that old codger one day...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 01:00 PM   #13
NTECUK
Mega Poster

I had a Daytona 675.
I had the Striple for a long test.(Aswell as a tiger 800).
Even the more powerful Daytona can be well behaved with a somewhat more peaky motor.
The reasons why I went for the tiger over the Striple was its foot pegs are father forward.
Im being honest and I should have gone with a Striple as they are lighter and have better ground clearance.
I did a low speeds skills day on the Daytona and the two striples on the same course were more agile.
The R is a better bet if you like to tailor the suspension.
The styling is a bit marmite.
I like the dame edna tbh.
When I did tec up north for an AR my Daytona went from my uesual 42 mpg to over 50mpg.
The motor is very flexible.
But its a 3 cyl and thats inherent in the makeup of a 3.
Old 12-12-16, 01:42 PM   #14
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm definitely tempted. Budget and saving will be the decider I think. I do love the SV though. For the couple of issues I have with it there's a lot that is right about it. I'm coming to appreciate that more the more I take the 250 I'm doing up out. It shows the SV to be a very smooth, planted and solid machine, compared to the twitchy plank that is the 1983 250!

Time for a trip to browse a couple of dealers nearby and plan for the future maybe : )
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 04:44 PM   #15
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Way out of budget but very near me! ... https://www.gumtree.com/p/triumph-mo...cle/1203887330
Old 12-12-16, 05:49 PM   #16
Heorot

If you didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a stripple, try test riding the new SV650. Also a naked with a nice upright riding position. I test rode one and loved it. A couple of orgers have bought one and love it.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 07:45 PM   #17
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
If you didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a stripple, try test riding the new SV650. Also a naked with a nice upright riding position. I test rode one and loved it. A couple of orgers have bought one and love it.
Have not ridden a stripple and although I had heard good things about them the looks and price put me off. I have been riding new AL7 since May and it is really nice bike with nice riding position, low seat height (a must for me) and a beaut engine and over 70 mpg not hanging about - also Euro4 emissions compliant. Seat could use a little more padding, but I have ridden for a couple of hours and still had some feeling in my cheeks

Have read triumph triple forum about vibrations from engine between 5 and 8 k revs that can make your hands numb that triumph have not been able to fix. The latest SV is smooth as silk throughout rev range. I have never noticed any vibration either through bars or in mirrors, either at tickover or moving - I am also becoming addicted to the V twin soundtrack (the sound was the thing that I first noticed about the SV, and I just had to go over and find out which bike was making that lovely noise).

A 90degree V twin is the most naturally very well balanced of all configurations and does not need all the fancy balance shafts to smooth out vibrations (with varying degrees of success). Unfortunately the 45 and 60 degree V twins found in cruisers are the worst balanced and render your rear view mirrors useless.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-12-16 at 10:08 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-16, 08:54 PM   #18
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The new SV did cross my mind. I imagined they'd all be expensive and new or very nearly new still, but looking at the Striple prices it may not be that much different. Cheers. Will try and get a look at one if I go dealer visiting in the coming weeks.
Old 13-12-16, 09:28 AM   #19
macamxthe1st

I had a Street Triple a couple of years ago but have also been riding a new SV since May. For me it would be the SV every time for lots of reasons not least the very unpleasant vibration patch on the Triple. It would be my view that if you rode both back to back for half an hour you may well come down on the side of the Triumph but if you lived with both and racked up the miles then it would be the L7 SV.

Geoff.
Old 13-12-16, 10:33 AM   #20
Heorot

I was offered £1000 trade-in against my k3 which brought the price down to £4000 net for the non-abs version or £4500 with abs. Still thinking about it. The only thing I didn't like was the digital display but I could learn to live with it.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote