SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-12-11, 08:04 AM   #11
andreis

Default Re: Quite Sobering

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
1659 KSI's not deaths.
Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that

Quote:
This is every bike accident in the UK for the last 10 years, compared against an estimate of the number of miles travelled by every biker in the UK for the last 10 years, used to create a KSI figure per billion miles travelled.

Bikes travel a billion miles they have 1659 KSI's, if they travel 5 billion they have 8295 KSI's

Cars travel a billion miles they have 27 KSI's, if they travel 5 billion they have 135 KSI's

The odds are still pretty low, and even lower in terms of the chance of dying, but the number of miles an average biker travels, or the fact there are more cars than bikes doing more miles, does absolutely nothing to change the statistic. It is measured as an average over a fixed number of miles, the same number for both types of vehicle.
I do agree with you, it is the same data and it does show that motorbikes are far more dangerous than cars.

I was just putting it into perspective a bit to show that it's not instant death if you so much as touch the bike. Further more, everyone dies (thus far). I'm just saying, before people start pointing out how reckless everyone is for riding a bike, we should worry more about how much cheese we eat (you know, heart attack & all) or better yet, what their dumping in the food (cancer is the leading cause of death for people under 85).
Old 06-12-11, 03:09 PM   #12
tweakedtay

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Probability of death = 1.

Too true. Live life while you can mates, and enjoy it for all it's worth.
Old 06-12-11, 06:38 PM   #13
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I think you need to be careful with statistics. How many of those riders were killed after riding at 150mph on the back wheel with their naked girlfriend on the back? Answer...none. See, that's got to be the safest way then.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 06:48 PM   #14
hongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I think you need to be careful with statistics. How many of those riders were killed after riding at 150mph on the back wheel with their naked girlfriend on the back? Answer...none. See, that's got to be the safest way then.
This logic is strangely compelling!
Old 06-12-11, 08:16 PM   #15
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreis View Post
Sorry, I didn't pay attention to that

I do agree with you, it is the same data and it does show that motorbikes are far more dangerous than cars.

I was just putting it into perspective a bit to show that it's not instant death if you so much as touch the bike. Further more, everyone dies (thus far). I'm just saying, before people start pointing out how reckless everyone is for riding a bike, we should worry more about how much cheese we eat (you know, heart attack & all) or better yet, what their dumping in the food (cancer is the leading cause of death for people under 85).
Agreed mate, it wasn't really your post I was replying to.
Old 07-12-11, 11:42 AM   #16
andreis

Quote:
Agreed mate, it wasn't really your post I was replying to.
Oh, sorry, I guess I was a bit extra-confrontational
Sometimes I need some
Old 07-12-11, 05:26 PM   #17
TC252

And just for another curved ball!!

It's all about statistics-like if I toss a coin i've a 50-50 chance of getting heads-The probability of getting heads never changes!

So it's the same when riding ya bike-you might get killed at mile number 1 or mile number 20,000!

Then again-given the option of dying in a care home while wrestling with one of the 'so called carers' or smashing oneself to bits in a bike crash-I know which one I prefer!!

Happy biking and riding!!