SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 11-02-08, 09:22 AM   #11
Baph

Default Re: Big Thanks To Luckypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
Despite what everyone says bout not worrying bout the pace of the rideouts i can`t help it Pete, its not just the pace its everything! however i`m feeling a lot better now and actually looking forward to joining you all
Claire, your feelings are pretty usual for someone without a lot of experience. Hell, the first rideout I went on, I think I'd done approx 8000 miles on my bike, and I was still nervous! For me, it was more the proximity to other bikes & not knowing what they were going to do.

Confidence only comes with experience, so as/when you feel comfortable riding in a group, I (and probably many others on the org) will happily tag along. Maybe it would help to slowly build the numbers up (NW3 is something like 20 bikes IIRC).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
We went to Ruthin (cos I knew there was no fog there) Then TT road, Frongoch, A4212 towards Trawsfynedd, B-road to Blaenau (view was stunning, it was SO clear), Ysbyty Ifan, A5 to BYC, A470 to Bleanau, a few wiggles and then back via A494 to Bala, then A5104 back.
You probably passed me whlist you were out then. But there were so many bikes around the A5 it was frankly silly. Most of them were miserable tw*ts too, no nodding/waving etc (and that includes at least 3 blue curvy's!!).
Old 11-02-08, 11:09 AM   #12
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
For me, it was more the proximity to other bikes & not knowing what they were going to do.

Confidence only comes with experience, so as/when you feel comfortable riding in a group, I (and probably many others on the org) will happily tag along. Maybe it would help to slowly build the numbers up (NW3 is something like 20 bikes IIRC).

Yep thats a lot to do with it..... on a couple of occasions yesterday whilst approaching a bend a few bikes came screaming up alongside, obv wanting to get past. I pulled over but they were there right alongside me. Was difficult when you`re trying to concentrate on the bend coming up and plotting your line thru it then also having to look next to you and guess what he`s gonna do!

Oh an i acknowledged every bike i saw so if i saw you i said hi
Old 11-02-08, 11:56 AM   #13
Baph

Quote:
Yep thats a lot to do with it..... on a couple of occasions yesterday whilst approaching a bend a few bikes came screaming up alongside, obv wanting to get past. I pulled over but they were there right alongside me. Was difficult when you`re trying to concentrate on the bend coming up and plotting your line thru it then also having to look next to you and guess what he`s gonna do!
Sounds like what you need is a decent rear guard. Let me know if/when we meet & I'll gladly show you what I mean.

Basically, there's 2 ways to go about getting experience around other bikes. One is follow an experienced biker, so that you see the lines they use, when to brake etc etc. The other is to get the experienced biker to ride behind you & block anyone from doing anything naughty behind you (no puns intended!). A rear guard lets you concentrate on the lines you want to use, and the ride is obviously at your own pace as you're not having to follow anyone.

I've done similar with Melody, and from what she said, she prefered the latter (carefully wording things here!).

Each to their own, but it's something to think about (I dunno if Mike was leading or following yesterday).
Old 11-02-08, 12:07 PM   #14
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Sounds like what you need is a decent rear guard. Let me know if/when we meet & I'll gladly show you what I mean.

Basically, there's 2 ways to go about getting experience around other bikes. One is follow an experienced biker, so that you see the lines they use, when to brake etc etc. The other is to get the experienced biker to ride behind you & block anyone from doing anything naughty behind you (no puns intended!). A rear guard lets you concentrate on the lines you want to use, and the ride is obviously at your own pace as you're not having to follow anyone.

I've done similar with Melody, and from what she said, she prefered the latter (carefully wording things here!).

Each to their own, but it's something to think about (I dunno if Mike was leading or following yesterday).

Many thanks.. would appreciate any help and tips.

Mike did a bit of both yesterday an i did tend to follow his lines etc. when he was riding, the braking is something else i need to get to grips with. My bike is so loud that he was able to hear exactly what i was doing when i was behind him so there was no escape lmao
Old 11-02-08, 12:14 PM   #15
Pedro68

Claire and Mike ... you lucky lucky barstewards Wish I could have gotten out a bit more over the weekend ... still at least the weather looks good for the beginning of the week, so had some fun riding to work this morning

So Claire, you now going on the newbie's rideout next weekend?
Old 11-02-08, 12:18 PM   #16
Speedy Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro68 View Post
Claire and Mike ... you lucky lucky barstewards Wish I could have gotten out a bit more over the weekend ... still at least the weather looks good for the beginning of the week, so had some fun riding to work this morning

So Claire, you now going on the newbie's rideout next weekend?

Yep.. i`m off work next weekend and am still a newbie so weather permitting i`ll be there
Old 11-02-08, 12:25 PM   #17
Baph

Quote:
Yep.. i`m off work next weekend and am still a newbie so weather permitting i`ll be there
What's all this about weather? Sod the weather. A decent bit of waterproof gear with a sensible attitude to riding in the wet, and you're laughing.

Sooner or later, you'll be caught out by the weather (already out riding & the weather takes a turn for the worse). IMO, it's better to have the skills & be able to cope.

(NB, this may come across as a strong post, but it's mainly tounge in cheek)
Old 11-02-08, 01:20 PM   #18
Speedy Claire

Quote:
What's all this about weather? Sod the weather. A decent bit of waterproof gear with a sensible attitude to riding in the wet, and you're laughing.

Sooner or later, you'll be caught out by the weather (already out riding & the weather takes a turn for the worse). IMO, it's better to have the skills & be able to cope.

(NB, this may come across as a strong post, but it's mainly tounge in cheek)
Not strong at all... its a very good idea. I think my attitude has been more a case of i`m obv more at risk of having an off in the wet so rather than risk it and knock my confidence i`ve left the bike at home in wet weather. I have been caught out tho a couple of times and so far i`ve ridden in a tornedo, a tsunami and now the dense fog
Old 14-02-08, 03:53 PM   #19
plowsie

Well i missed this thread so sorry for the rebuilding from the dead of the thread...

Mike and me met up a while ago for the Inaugural BP meet and to tell you the truth, he bought my confidence back, before I had been posting about issues with my confidence etc, I went out in the morning up to Ponderosa with him, then out for an hour or so with him Pedro and Baph, was bloody good fun.

He should set his own company up. LP's Welsh Tours!

Nice one Mike!
Old 14-02-08, 08:44 PM   #20
Speedy Claire

lol.... and yes I agree. As the day wore on i started to feel more confident, I was still tense but he`s a patient bloke and a good teacher. I didn`t feel under any pressure and he let me set the pace, I felt better just for having him there an knowing he was keeping an eye on me.