SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-11-09, 10:31 PM   #11
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Neutral with engine running

Adjust clutch first, if problem stays or gets worse then you need to open clutch. Maybe basket notched or bent plates or something.
Old 17-11-09, 02:37 PM   #12
Alpinestarhero

Thought I might offer my experiance here, not necceserily a solution but worth thinking about. I had similar problems trying to engage neutral, particularly when the engine was hot after bieng in traffic. I adjusted the chain, cleaned and lubricated it, cleaned, lubricated and adjusted the clutch cable and worm drive bit, topped up the oil. Still kept getting the same problem (although it did get a bit better with all that attention). It wasnt until after an oil and oil filter change that the problem was cured. Its never happened to me before, and the only thing differant this time compared to the rest of the time I've had the bike was that it stood doing nothing for 8 weeks. I thought it was a sinister clutch problem, a couple of people suggested I may need a new clutch basket (as YC said up there, the notching problem)

Anyway, if your unsure of the service history of the bike, get a full service (If you have no evidence of the valve clearances being checked, get that done aswel) and start keeping the bike well serviced as per the schedule recommneded by suzuki
Old 17-11-09, 03:24 PM   #13
LK-SV

I was just about to say ......... where's Alpinestar and his worm-drive ......
Old 17-11-09, 06:30 PM   #14
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK-SV View Post
I was just about to say ......... where's Alpinestar and his worm-drive ......
poor little buggers always get forgotten about, hidden behind that cover and all exposed to grime and cack

poor likkle bugger
Old 17-11-09, 07:28 PM   #15
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Just if you do decide to take it apart to clean it make sure you do it somewhere where all the little ball bearings wont make a bid for freedom and run about the floor!

I suggest dismantling over a container or in a plastic bag.

Druid
Old 17-11-09, 08:57 PM   #16
beabert

Thanks guys all of the above will be done. As it goes into neutral fine when not running i can rule some of these things out?

Fixed my 125 today too, was the pilot screw, amazing how touchy it is. Runs better than ever now So now i can go get the oil and new filter.

Last edited by beabert; 17-11-09 at 08:58 PM.
Old 17-11-09, 09:07 PM   #17
beabert

I might as well rip the side of and check the condition of the clutch etc?
Old 17-11-09, 09:21 PM   #18
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No, first thing to do is adjust the clutch. If you can't get it adjusted right then something is knacked, if so the first place to look is the lifter.

Adjustment and lifter check requires no gaskets or removal of anything sealed - do it first.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-09, 09:33 PM   #19
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
Just if you do decide to take it apart to clean it make sure you do it somewhere where all the little ball bearings wont make a bid for freedom and run about the floor!

I suggest dismantling over a container or in a plastic bag.

Druid
see, my dad said the same thing...all the ball bearings will make a bid for freedom and head for the swiss border. I havnt had that problem
Old 17-11-09, 09:37 PM   #20
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beabert View Post
Thanks guys all of the above will be done. As it goes into neutral fine when not running
Prescisley what my SV did when I over filled it with oil.

Check the basics first

Oil Level
Chain Tension
Clutch adjustment

Its bound to be one of those and each one is a 5 minute piece of p*ss job to sort out.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote