SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in science lessons?
Yes, it's as equally valid as evolution and children should decide which they believe 3 6.67%
Don't discuss it unless a child brings it up, compare it's scientific merit to evolution 6 13.33%
No, it should be left in the religious education classes, it has no place in science 35 77.78%
Keith D / Parrot sausages 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-07, 09:16 AM   #11
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Teaching creationism in science lessons...

Yet more proof......... what a load rubbish.

I think Dr Hilary Leevers has got it right.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 09:17 AM   #12
Bluewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Otherwise, I can put in my exams "because god made it so" and still get marks.
Old 05-10-07, 09:23 AM   #13
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post

I think Dr Hilary Leevers has got it right.

Ben
Old 05-10-07, 09:25 AM   #14
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
an other example of how we are bowing down to the muslims in this country!!

Evolution has proof, so should be in the sience curiculum full stop, if the stupid muslims are to dumb to accept that F*** them!!
Just becaue the article is written in a sensationalist way doesn't make it true...

While I'm sure this has had an impact I saw nothing in the article suggesting that we should teach it as a valid theory just to please those with diferent views, quite the opposite... Still people do like to get up on a soap box.
Old 05-10-07, 09:25 AM   #15
Mousetrapper

Any science should be hypothesis based, if a hypothesis has no chance of being disproved (as in creationism) then it has no place in science.
Old 05-10-07, 09:33 AM   #16
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I think yes, early on in school life before it gets all exam focused. It would be interesting to examine the theory from a scientific point of view. Not to rubbish it, but just to give the chance to let the kids make up their own mind.
If the science teacher teaches them about fossils, & how creatures have evolved over time to adapt to their changing environment and Darwin's theories, and then also teaches them that there is a different POV that one day man was created and everything was good, then woman was created & man never heard the end of it
IMHO it could be confusing for children for their science teacher to teach them one theory as fact and their RE teacher to teach them the alternative also as fact, and the 2 completely different theories can not be reconciled leading to confusion rather than an understanding of both with a preference based on belief.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 09:34 AM   #17
metalmonkey

I saw a program a while can't what/when but they where teaching that in place of real of science, what total crap.......I remember when i was doing my a-level a mad god person chased me down in the street to try to convert me, I was I'm a science student you can't force that crap on me....he got message and left me alone.....

I hate the way the relgions try to convert you, I went to my cousion chriteining a few months back and it was in a a local church to them. Apart from the namimg part the whole service was spent trying to convert us in joining the church me and the other kids in the family made a break for the door soon as we could what a load of crap.

Its not science, not based on fact so should not be taught in school, college or Uni.
Old 05-10-07, 09:38 AM   #18
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I think yes, early on in school life before it gets all exam focused. It would be interesting to examine the theory from a scientific point of view. Not to rubbish it, but just to give the chance to let the kids make up their own mind.
If the science teacher teaches them about fossils, & how creatures have evolved over time to adapt to their changing environment and Darwin's theories, and then also teaches them that there is a different POV that one day man was created and everything was good, then woman was created & man never heard the end of it
IMHO it could be confusing for children for their science teacher to teach them one theory as fact and their RE teacher to teach them the alternative also as fact, and the 2 completely different theories can not be reconciled leading to confusion rather than an understanding of both with a preference based on belief.
i dont think it can be taught in science, as school science deals with facts, not a few book written 1000's of years ago by people who if alive today would be called cult nutters!!
Religion has a place in school yes that place is called the RE classes.
Old 05-10-07, 09:43 AM   #19
MiniMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
interesting poll results...

if you don't discuss creationism at all, and dismiss it outright, will you not only harden the beliefs of the creationists and lose the opportunity to educate the undecided?
In that case, I'd say discuss it as much as you discuss Flat Earth Theory. "Some people used to believe, and some still do that the world is flat. All scientific evidence has now disproved this theory, now lets move on to some real science."
Old 05-10-07, 09:46 AM   #20
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
yes true, but as one of your options was to have it out of science and into religious studies it would still be taught.
how is refusing to discuss creationism because it "isn't science" different from people refusing to discuss evolution because it "isn't christian/muslim/whatever"

shouldn't science be the bigger man and be willing to discuss creationism from a scientific viewpoint?
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote