SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-11-09, 11:04 PM   #11
zadar

Default Re: cbr600f3 fork internals

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
He said that it wasn't worth upgrading Showa three port pistons to Race Tech Gold Valves in the CBR fork because the piston design was so good.
He is right, 3 port high flow are good pistons, you just need to revalve it. It is old set up and pretty light on valving.
Old 06-11-09, 12:06 AM   #12
taxonomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Those big port showas are similar to gold valve. Some even say gold valve flows too well, but I'm not sure I get that.

Depends which type of piston it is. Look familiar?
Since I am not taking the cartridge apart I can't say. I haven't seen the piston.

Anyhow, for anyone thinking of doing this mod, I would say go ahead and do it. In the end it won't cost much more than a Race tech fork, and you'll have some thing adjustable and unique. By all accounts, people that know, say the fork internals are a pretty good starting point as is. Much better than the stock SV, potentially better than an SV fork with Race Tech Emulators fork if setup right.

With the clip ons above the triples you come pretty close to the N riding position I'll be using stock S model clipons with it instead of regular bars. The adjusters would conflict with the bars, since the forks are about 40mm longer when converted to CBR internals.
Old 28-09-10, 01:37 PM   #13
mikerj

Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone know if you can fit the Honda F3 fork tubes and cartridges into 2nd Gen/Pointy fork lowers?
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-10, 02:10 PM   #14
taxonomy

If the forks are the same diameter (41MM) it should work. I have them in my Gen1. As long as the damper rod is held to the bottom of the fork with a bolt you should be able to get it to work.

It was not that complicated to make it a go, but it did take fiddling.
Old 28-09-10, 07:55 PM   #15
mikerj

Default Re: CBR600F3 fork internals in SV forks?

Thanks, sounds like it should work; pointy forks are 41mm same as curvy, and damper rod is held in by a single bolt.
Old 29-09-10, 04:38 AM   #16
zadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread, but does anyone know if you can fit the Honda F3 fork tubes and cartridges into 2nd Gen/Pointy fork lowers?
You don't even need F3 tubes, you can use both inner and outer from sv. You just need to shorten rod.
Old 29-09-10, 07:28 AM   #17
mikerj

I was wondering if I could use the longer F3 fork tubes and put the clip ons above the top yoke for a bit of touring next year - is this possible?
Old 29-09-10, 07:38 AM   #18
zadar

Not sure you will have enough length for clipons above.
Old 22-11-10, 12:22 AM   #19
Fatboy SV

Why not just fit the entire F3 legs?
Old 22-11-10, 08:33 AM   #20
mikerj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy SV View Post
Why not just fit the entire F3 legs?

Because then you'd need the Honda spindle which may not fit the SV wheel (anyone know?). Even if it did you'd have to sort out the speedo drive and caliper mounting issues as I doubt the CBR has exactly the same disc size and spacing as the SV. Or you could use the CBR front wheel and have non-matching front and rear wheels I suppose, but still leaves the speedo to fix and the CBR front mudguard to paint to match the rest of the bike. Just a lot of work.