SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 26-12-09, 08:35 PM   #11
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Oxford heated grips and symtec heated grips

Ok, Ill update this with pics later on but I've put on the grip heaters themselves and put the grips back over the top. Some carefull planning is needed to work out where to put the cables etc but its not too difficult, and the grips go back on with some hairspray the cables are slimmer than the ones for the oxford grips, it all looks more descreet
Old 26-12-09, 09:01 PM   #12
cbay
Mega Poster

I have got Oxford Heated grips on mine, I Love them! especially as you have the different settings for different %'s.
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-09, 09:43 PM   #13
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbay View Post
I have got Oxford Heated grips on mine, I Love them! especially as you have the different settings for different %'s.
yea i think i have been particularly unlucky. In anycase, I aim to present a good alternative to heated grips
Old 29-12-09, 01:51 PM   #14
Alpinestarhero

Right, some pictures to show you how I done some of it (I need to take a few more to show how everythign was done, but hopefully you'll get an idea and there are some things here that are quite handy to know.)

Bike is 1999 SV650s, btw.

Firstly, old heated grips removed and handlebars cleaned with some paint thinners. The throttle tube was also rubbed down a bit to be a smooth surface for the heaters to stick on

This is what you get in the kit; from left to right: Heaters (labbeled for clutch and throttle bars), cable to mains power, three-way switch (two types, you choose when ordering), some connectors and cable ties, and some (good) instructions

Wrap heaters around bars - take some time to work out where you want the wiring to go. The heaters have a sticky surface, just peel off the back. To make it easier getting the grip on, and for some security, I stuck down the heaters with some insulation tape. It may be worth wrapping the clutch clip-on in heat-shrink or insulation tape when you put the heater on, so prevent heat loss to the aluminium bar; I find the clutch side dosnt get as hot as the throttle side, and will be going back to put an insulating layer down.

Using some hairspray, pop the standard SV grips back on, taking care to leave slack on the throttle side etc

The instructions are very good at showing you how to make the wiring connections, so follow those carefully and you can do it. You will need some wire trimmers to trim off excess wire and to take off some of the insulating sheath.

It was decided to tap into the wires coming from the ignition switch; lift the tank up, and you'll see a block connector around the front of the airbox. The orange wire (not orange and yellow) is OFF when the ignition is off, and POWERED when the ignition is on. The red wire is a permanent live...my dad accidentaly taped into this (momentary lapse of concentration, I should have spotted it too!). Check with a power probe first if you are unsure. We used a scotch-lock to tap into the power source. Use an in-line fuse (symtec recommend 4 or 5 amp).

For the earth, my dad collected the two earths from the grip heaters and connected them together, and using an eye-type connector:

I elected to re-use the old oxford heated grips bracket to mount my stiwch, so I didnt have to drill any holes in the bodywork:

a little bit ugly...so much so my dad is promising to tidy that bracket up! for the moment though it works. You can see in that alst pic where I have put the inline fuse - easy position for me to get to.

All in all, they are slightly more involved at installing than many other popular heated grips. But I feel that they are better in all area's. Also, because you can see all the compoents, you can trouble-shoot quite extensivly should any problems arise. The heaters get hot on the hot setting, and are comfortable on the low setting.

Matt

Last edited by Alpinestarhero; 25-01-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-01-10, 08:39 AM   #15
Electro

Where did you get these from Alpine? Seen them on fleabay for £41.50. Is that around what you paid?

Cheers, Electro.
Old 08-01-10, 04:23 PM   #16
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Where did you get these from Alpine? Seen them on fleabay for £41.50. Is that around what you paid?

Cheers, Electro.
Yea, thats about the price. I orderd mine from gear4bikes.com, they delivered reasonably quick considering it was the christmas rush and all!

Well worth the money - get 'em now
Old 08-01-10, 09:00 PM   #17
Electro

Cheers for the info Alpine, nice 1 mate.
Old 08-01-10, 09:48 PM   #18
Alpinestarhero

No worries, if you need any further advice with the symtecs, drop me a PM and I'll try my best to help you out
Old 25-01-10, 04:43 PM   #19
Alpinestarhero

updated with some more pics