SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-09, 11:37 PM   #11
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Default Re: Stats - what do I straddle?

I've personally always found (fast[1]) cars to feel faster than the bike even though they're not because I feel the G when pressed into the seat and don't on the bike.
What also makes the difference is how the SV makes it's power, it's a pretty smooth curve meaning there is no sudden urgency, try riding a sports 600 and you'll see what I mean, in comparison the 600's have no power until ~10k when they suddenly go.

Druid

[1] M5's, Tuned Skylines etc, nothing like still accelerating *hard* at 150 to give you a sense of fast.
Old 29-08-09, 11:41 PM   #12
Dizeee

Oh yes, totally agree, diff engine setups etc, V twin / Vtech / Turbo / V8 etc...

Mst admit, looking at the speedo and doing what I have done, I know I "equate" the car in speed dept, but obviously there is no seat to sink back to. But I have also found I am not having to "hang on". And, as I have said, although I know I "go fast", it is just so smooth!

I guess this is just bikes... and the SV. Awesome cocktail of fun... almost feels to easy? Is that right?
Old 29-08-09, 11:42 PM   #13
Dizeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
I've personally always found (fast[1]) cars to feel faster than the bike even though they're not because I feel the G when pressed into the seat and don't on the bike.
What also makes the difference is how the SV makes it's power, it's a pretty smooth curve meaning there is no sudden urgency, try riding a sports 600 and you'll see what I mean, in comparison the 600's have no power until ~10k when they suddenly go.

Druid

[1] M5's, Tuned Skylines etc, nothing like still accelerating *hard* at 150 to give you a sense of fast.

Interetsed in your (1) - M5 and Skyline likew chalk and cheese - what M5? Old was V8 new was V10 but still naturally aspirated - Skykline is the top of hierarchy of turbo... major difference....!
Old 29-08-09, 11:58 PM   #14
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
Interetsed in your (1) - M5 and Skyline likew chalk and cheese - what M5? Old was V8 new was V10 but still naturally aspirated - Skykline is the top of hierarchy of turbo... major difference....!
Very much different but still bloody quick cars.

Old old M5 as in M5 E34 a proper BMW engine 3.8l straight-6, 335bhp and unrestricted, ~175mph flat out.

Skyline was a R33 GT-R ~400-450hp and bat**** insane, I've never been in anything that will corner as fast.

In terms of speed they don't seem too fast but the acceleration (to me) is noticeable where as I don't so much on the bike.

But then again maybe I've just jaded to acceleration on a bike and speed, I've driven a Gallardo and apart from giggling hysterically from the way it was flashing the traction control light in 4th in a straight line in the dry thought that was quite fun and not scary fast.

Druid
Old 30-08-09, 12:03 AM   #15
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizeee View Post
Awesome cocktail of fun... almost feels to easy? Is that right?
yeh...but also too easy to sil thru speed cameras too. If i encounter 30mph speed cams i really do think to mysel "FFS, is this really the limit for this bit of road as it just feels unbelievably slow.

the Inforad on my bike has to be one of the best bits of kit i spent money on tbh.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-09, 12:50 AM   #16
Dizeee

Both comments more than valid!

We speak of supercars...

If you want a laugh you can spot me in this vid via my plate (username). One of many vids, taken on one of many runs, whereby almost every car that was, took part!

In the tunnel half way through it's my blue beast offsiding and behind the Gallardo... but as has been said, a snapshot in time.

Enjoy!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...78075815252197
Old 30-08-09, 12:56 AM   #17
Dizeee

It all started here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjMyf5xUceg

Anyway, thats enough about that
Old 30-08-09, 06:20 AM   #18
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Yeah the SV isn't the quickest off the mark but that's not what its about, its the twistys you wanna be quick on
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-09, 08:00 AM   #19
Red Herring
Mega Poster

As bikes go the SV isn't particularly fast, however it has more than enough to get by and more importantly the way it is delivered make the bike fairly viceless, one of the reasons it's popular with those new to riding. If you're worried about flipping it, don't be. Once the clutch is fully out in first you can pin the throttle and provided you don't actually sit up and pull on the bars it's won't go over on you.
The suspension isn't the best in the world, but again it's good enough for what the bike was originally intended for so provided you don't take liberties it's an ideal place to start. Once you get some confidence under your belt, and if you are so inclined, you will find the SV lacks the top end punch of a sports bike, especially at anything over 100mph, but in this day and age of speed cameras and prison happy magistrates there are some who like it for that very reason. Trust me, once you get to know your bike it will be so much more fun than sitting in a queue popping dump valves....
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-09, 09:29 AM   #20
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdruid View Post
try riding a sports 600 and you'll see what I mean, in comparison the 600's have no power until ~10k when they suddenly go
Ah here we go again, SS600s are flabby below 10K. All relative, I suppose, but it's male cow manure, Druid

Come take my 675 for a ride and be educated