SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-10-08, 12:01 PM   #11
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crashy Mcgee rules?

Replacing armor, you can argue against me here if you wish, but I would suggest simply finding out what type of armor it is. Some are damaged by impact, others regain their initial shape and properties, thus making replacements a waste of effort and energy.

If you felt your head hit the floor however, whether the helmet is marked or not, I'd advise replacing it. A surface scuff does not mean damage to the impact absorbing liner, but a dink in the liner doesn't have to show up on the surface either!
Old 27-10-08, 12:02 PM   #12
Alpinestarhero

ON this subject, I keep seeing vehicles along euston road / A501 with "mcgee" on them

i avoid them
Old 27-10-08, 12:26 PM   #13
Doofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Replacing armor, you can argue against me here if you wish, but I would suggest simply finding out what type of armor it is. Some are damaged by impact, others regain their initial shape and properties, thus making replacements a waste of effort and energy.

If you felt your head hit the floor however, whether the helmet is marked or not, I'd advise replacing it. A surface scuff does not mean damage to the impact absorbing liner, but a dink in the liner doesn't have to show up on the surface either!
The armour is the polystyrene stuff that will only compress once, so needs to be replaced, however I'm uncertain about stress to the fabric, My torn stuff obviously needs to be replaced, but my Son's jacket and leather trousers appear to be ok (but very muddy), it may be as economical to replace the jacket anyway, I don't pay high prices for our bike gear as I ride daily and have to replace it often as it wears out (usually replace because they stop being waterproof).

My Son's helmet is scuffed on the chinpiece, but he also hit his chin on the chinpiece, so as far as I'm concerned the helmet has served its purpose and is not fit for re-use, the same with mine, it's taken an impact it's only fit for destruction now, shame really, was a nice helmet, but it's has done its job, I can find another that I like just as much somewhere.

Crashy McDoof
Old 27-10-08, 12:28 PM   #14
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Leather seems to hold up to crashing better, it's a judgement call but if it's not obviously knackered I'd probably keep it...

Why replace gear when it stops being waterproof? I just treat my textile jacket with nikwax and it restores it's waterproof qualities.
Old 27-10-08, 12:42 PM   #15
Doofer

Why replace gear when it stops being waterproof?

I regularly treat my bike gear with techwash and direct x reproofer, and will keep using a jacket until even that isn't enough to keep it waterproof, but I usually find that after about 18 months of daily use in all weathers and seasons my bike gear needs to be replaced (I do keep it as spares for a while after though so I can wash & reproof the new stuff), with 2 sets of kit to replace on an 18-month to 2 yearly basis I look out for the bargains, trousers at £30 a pair, £50 end of season jackets, My son's helmet and boots have to be replaced more frequently too as he is still growing, my helmet I try to replace about every 4-5 years, sooner if it starts to go baggy, I've never before had to replace a helmet because it has been used for the purpose it was designed for

I know people who are still using 15, 20 year old bike gear, that scares me, even leather goes brittle after a while and loses its protective qualities, but its the wearer's choice.

Crashy McDoof