SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-09, 03:40 PM   #11
stuballs

Default Re: Which chain/sprocket and replacement bolts

How did you rivet the chain without the rear wheel in?
Old 07-08-09, 07:31 PM   #12
ejohnh

With a rivetting tool - from my mate from WRC. Why would you need the rear wheel in? Or am I missing something? It was quite easy to do.
If I hadn't had the tool I woud have flared the rivet with cone ended bolt I have on a bycycle sprocket extracting tool, together with a C clamp, and then taken a ball pein and lump hammer to it.
Old 10-08-09, 03:53 PM   #13
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
Chain on and rivetted. Looks ok. Bloody knackering bendind down. Could do with a lift next time. Just taking a break before putting the rear wheel back on and torqueing up. Looking forward to a ride tomo.
Put the wheel back on and aligned front and rear. The front sprocket was well knackered but I couldn't detect any real wear on the back one. The old chain and sprockets were the originals and the bike has done 21k to date. I have had a Scott oiler on since I got the bike at 7k miles. I don't really hammer the bike so that probably accounts for the longevity of the old stuff

Went for a rideout yesterday, 150 miles or so, and the chain had loosened up a bit. Probably the cold lube getting squeezed out.

I had to buy a 32 mm impact socket(approx £9) from Halfrauds. Front sprocket nut came off easily with it though.
Old 11-08-09, 07:55 AM   #14
PaulSV

BCT motorcycles are doing gold x ring chain and sproket kits for £75 at the moment they are on 01274 532777.
Just ordered mine. I've gone up one tooth on the front sproket for no extra cost too.