SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-02-08, 12:40 PM   #11
New Leaf

Default Re: New helmet, possibly flip front (safety?), Advice welcome.

have u looked at Nolan helmets?

They have a flip down sunvisor, are very very quiet and they do a flip frount version too. You can get them at your local Hein gerike store. Also if u have very deep pockets the wireless intercom system compatible with their lids is very cool.
Old 14-02-08, 01:26 PM   #12
Mr Toad

I had a Schuberth C1 for for 4 years or so, and very good it was too. I now have an S1 which is a bit quieter and lighter, but still has the flip down visor. I'm very pleased with it and would happily recommend it.
Old 14-02-08, 03:05 PM   #13
Ch00

At work I wear a caberg front flip helmet. It seems ok got a couple of vents on it, and built in sun visor which is so weakly tinted its a bit of a waste.
Old 14-02-08, 03:18 PM   #14
Wild Bill

Mine`s a System BMW one.I`ve had it for afew years and find it pretty good .The police used them,the first flip front ones I ever saw, and had to have one. When this one `wears` out I`d get another flip front, they`re so convenient.

Cheers
Old 14-02-08, 09:23 PM   #15
jamessunhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Leaf View Post
have u looked at Nolan helmets?

They have a flip down sunvisor, are very very quiet and they do a flip frount version too. You can get them at your local Hein gerike store. Also if u have very deep pockets the wireless intercom system compatible with their lids is very cool.
That's the one I use (just spotted the other thread and replied with this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessunhill View Post
Just got back from my holls and spotted this.

Mine's a Nolan N102 Flip Front. As Billy says, I love it, although I don't think it's for everyone. It's a little on the heavy side, but fits me well and I love the flip front as it allows me to flip it up and talk to people without having to take my lid off. The flip lock mechanism's the best one I've tried. I can open it with one gloved hand, but it's impossible to accidentally open it (double stage lock) unlike the Cabergs. The Shoei looks and feels very good, but I couldn't work the flip with my winter gloves on (tried in a shop). I can't commentm on the Shuberts as I haven't tried one.

My Nolan also has an external flip down sun visor which is easily removable for cleaning (unlike the internal ones) and can be replaced with 2 blanking plates to cover it's mechanism.

The Nolan's not to expensive either (I picked mine up for £179).

Sorry if that's bit more info than you wanted, but I like to help.
Old 14-02-08, 10:44 PM   #16
nomad

Cheers for the info, I will also have a look at Nolan.

I am still undecided about whether to go the flip front route.
Old 15-02-08, 10:05 AM   #17
lookskyward1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
I am still undecided about whether to go the flip front route.
You will find the flip helmet very user friendly;
At petrol stations you dont need to take your helmet off to enter the shop.
In heavy traffic in the summer, you can cool off a bit with the front up.
You can talk to people and they can understand you.
You can have a swift fag.

The downsides are;
The possible reduction in face protection in the event of an off although it has not been an issue for me.
A possible increase in wind noise, I wear ear plugs anyway.
Old 15-02-08, 10:16 AM   #18
fubber

Used to use a Caberg Justissimo with built in Visor (on the inside of the helmet - not on the outside like some others). The sun visor was great as was the ability to 'jet' face the helmet quickly when its real hot and motorway cruising abroad.

Now use a Shoei Multitec (replaced the syncrotec range) and while it doesn't have the jet ability, nor the sun visor and has D ring strap etc I far prefer it. I have fitted a graduated tint visor to it and have the whisper kit etc fitted to keep the noise down. This can be quickly removed to let a bit more air flow about your head when its summer...