SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-12-09, 01:36 PM   #11
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
but the problem we have badger is that the forecasters tell us days in advance when its coming and the gritters don't appear until after its lying.And having a landy combined with the ability to drive in this weather increases my chances of getting to where i'm going significantly higher than if i went in the car.
They grit the roads around here in advance , they did it yesterday and it is down to local council policy as to when it happens ........ the policy was set around here when a load of cyclists were tragically killed by a car that lost control on Ice a couple of years ago . Now all the big roads get done but my house is the same as Mr Speirs , bottom of a cul-de-sac on a downward incline . The gritters will do the main A roads , then B roads and by the time any housed areas get the chance to be gritted the Snow has melted . Having a 4x4 will help yes , but looking out of my window I saw cars struggling to even get out of their parking spaces and these were people using low revs . And the problem mainly was the cars compacting the snow down and the tires losig grip at the tiniest whiff of throttle whilst trying to get out of an inclined driveway.......... yet my Mrs , loads of experience from living in a very Snowy Area , jumps in her Golf and drives off because she saw the forecast and parked her car in a place that gave her the best chance of a start .
Old 19-12-09, 01:41 PM   #12
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
why does this country of ours struggle with a few inches of snow every year?
Not all of the country suffers..... and it only make the national news when a flake or two causes chaos in south-east England.

I was telling the kids that a foot of snow was considered a light dusting when I was kid in the foot-hills of the Penines

Not so much as a flake here in Cardiff so far, and if it does snow there won't be enough to make a decent snowball. I miss northern winters
Old 19-12-09, 01:43 PM   #13
xXBADGERXx

I think 1981 was the bad year for it ? Remember when we had a month of it from Boxing day til the end of January . Snow ploughs daily , cars up to their rooves in snow at the side of the road . It was great as a kid , Snow so heavy that visibility was down to about 8 foot .
Old 19-12-09, 01:49 PM   #14
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
...about 8 foot .
That's about the deepest I can remember..... drifted up against the front door of the house so deep that it covered the door. Was about 4ft deep where it had nothing to drift against.

I can remember digging out about 2ft of snow from behind my dad's VW Beetle so he could go to work..... and then we went off to school.

It's not like that today..... kids don't know they're born
Old 19-12-09, 01:57 PM   #15
madcockney

Quote:
I awoke to some here in North Wales as well
But not in this part of North Wales. Well North East Wales actually.
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 02:16 PM   #16
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think 1981 was the bad year for it ? Remember when we had a month of it from Boxing day til the end of January . Snow ploughs daily , cars up to their rooves in snow at the side of the road . It was great as a kid , Snow so heavy that visibility was down to about 8 foot .
I remember that year. My friend Wendy and I were both 7 months pregnant and ended up pushing a milk float out of a snow drift!

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-09, 02:49 PM   #17
xXBADGERXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
I remember that year. My friend Wendy and I were both 7 months pregnant and ended up pushing a milk float out of a snow drift!
I dunno , you pregnant women will steal anything if it isn`t nailed down
Old 19-12-09, 03:20 PM   #18
speedplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Quote:
I dunno , you pregnant women will steal anything if it isn`t nailed down

You would think that 2 women, both 7 months pregnant would have more than enough milk between them
Old 19-12-09, 03:25 PM   #19
xXBADGERXx

Yeah but it`s the hassle of trying to get it into the coffee Cup in front of guests
Old 19-12-09, 03:35 PM   #20
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Here's my advice for the day. When there is thick snow on the ground:

1) Don't book a pedicure at a salon right out in the sticks down an ungritted lane
2) Don't book a pedicure anyway, as you'll then have to make your way back to the car through thick snow wearing flipflops
3) Don't book a pedicure and have to fill the car up on the way back as people in the petrol station look at you funny when you are wearing rolled up jeans and flipflops in -5 weather

My toes look very pretty now though.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote