SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-10-08, 08:18 PM   #11
CoolGirl

Default Re: Officer resigns over BNP badge

I feel redundant with NW on the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Not sure on this one. Being a BNP supporter or member isn't as simple as it once was, it used to be a pretty reliable sign of being a complete **** but not so much now. But then again, someone wearing a BNP badge to the foorball is most probably a ****. Sure, it's his personal life but if you're openly racist (or pro-white, whatever) in private then that's pretty likely to affect your judgement and actions on the job.

Plus, there's the legal side- imagine he's in court giving evidence against an asian kid and the lawyer brings this up. That'd certainly affect the prosecution, and that's a problem too.

It does seem like it could affect his ability to do the job. But, meh, I think banning people from being in the police for being a member of a political party is a bit of a worry, in this case I think it's probably worked out fine but these days not every BNP member fits the stereotype, for all sorts of reasons. I pretty much completely hate the BNP and their founding principles but Combat 18 and the National Front are single-issue extremist groups, the BNP aren't. YC is spot on there too, why ban violent racist groups but not violent anti-racist groups?
ANL aren't, though, a political party, so it doesn't break the membership rules and it would be difficult to ban officers from joining sundry subversive groups that pop up overnight. However, there are rules about conduct off duty and brining the force into disrepute, which would cover invovement in that sort of activity.
Old 08-10-08, 08:19 PM   #12
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
b) asians draw more giro. ..
do they? how come?
Quote:
have you ever read any BNP literature? They're not actually so overtly racist as the media would make out.

+1
Old 08-10-08, 08:21 PM   #13
CoolGirl

Quote:
The BNP will probably never win an election, but they might just make whatever ruling power $hit themselves enough to maybe do what the people voting ask them to... isn't that what democracy is about?
well, kind of - I think the point you're trying to make is that democracy only really works if the ruling party have half-decent opposition, which is why party politics is in the godawful state it's in at the moment.
Old 08-10-08, 08:23 PM   #14
stanie

the history of the bnp (and the behind the scenes activities) is good enough reason for the police force to not want any cop being associated with any organisation like it.
there is a big difference between anl and the bnp.
the main force behind the bnp (and other fascist organisations) is hate. theyre obviously trying to hide their old image, and water it down, but their feelings are quite clear to me.
nick griffins "body guards" are predominantly fascists, get them to lift their shirts and im sure youll find plenty skrewdriver and nazi tattoos.

Last edited by stanie; 08-10-08 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-10-08, 08:25 PM   #15
neio79

i think that its wrong , the BNP are a legitimate political party (like it or not that is the case) so why can the government say you cant be amember? We the UK forces cant join either.

hopefully someone will challange the government in court over it. how can they accept them as a politiccal party, yet say people cant support them?
Old 08-10-08, 08:26 PM   #16
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
do they? how come?
+1
I don't know. Probably something to do with generally having large families? But in fact it's something I know nothing about, except that it's a reason the chavs and scrotes don't like the 'stanis.

Coolgirl, yes opposition, but a mainstream party are never going to open their mouths about immigration etc.

At the moment it appears that all the 3 main parties are exactly the same, just with different talking heads at the front.
Old 08-10-08, 08:36 PM   #17
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

This is just so "new labour" isnt it?Wishy washy and lacking what my dad used to call moral fibre.
Either the BNP is a legal political party which anyone should be able to join including a copper,or it should be banned.If a proper rationale for banning it cant be found then allow it and confront it by rational argument.Back door suppression of those we dont approve of like this actually encourages suppory for them I think.
Old 08-10-08, 08:39 PM   #18
stanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
i think that its wrong , the BNP are a legitimate political party (like it or not that is the case) so why can the government say you cant be amember? We the UK forces cant join either.

hopefully someone will challange the government in court over it. how can they accept them as a politiccal party, yet say people cant support them?
i think the armed forces are no different than the police, there are plenty of supporters of bnp/c18 in both.
Old 08-10-08, 08:40 PM   #19
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
This is just so "new labour" isnt it?Wishy washy and lacking what my dad used to call moral fibre.
I thought it was surprising they'd show so much backbone tbh.

What's the deal with chief constable's orders? Never heard of those before. Ithought chief constables were regional chiefs, but this sounds national.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 08:47 PM   #20
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post
i think the armed forces are no different than the police, there are plenty of supporters of bnp/c18 in both.
yes there probably are. but just like the police if they show open support for a legal political party with the same status as the others then they would be in the poo poo. its wrong IMO.