SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-10-08, 09:51 PM   #11
gavinsky23

Default Re: Curvy starting and Idling Problems

Cheers for the offer husky but i've got it in bits now. Took the airbox and front plunger out today, it was a bit messy but not too bad. Pretty sure the carbs are OK as they were balanced fairly rcently.

Having trouble getting the screw for the front plunger out though, anyone got any hints. I've already removed the fairing but it didn't help much. I'm working tomorrow so hopefully I'll be giving it another try either tommorrow night or Sun. Is it necessary to take the carbs off to get access to the screw? I can't quite get a screwdriver in, any advice/tips would be much appreciated.
Old 10-10-08, 09:59 PM   #12
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Take the carbs off its much easier to get at the front plunger screw.

the plunger screws on my carbs were a b*stard to get out. The screws are very soft so watch you dont round the heads on them.

Try squirting some penetrating oil down past the head. If that doesnt work try and get a set of mole grips on the head of the screw. If that doesnt work take a large screwdriver and a hammer and give the screwdriver a tap down onto the screwhead.

But be careful walloping the carbs, they're sensitive and you dont want to go beating the cack out of them. The hammer and screwdriver trick worked on my choke plunger screws.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 08:12 PM   #13
gavinsky23

Thanks for all the help. I removed the rear plunger cleaned it etc and put it back in. Removed the carbs and still was struggling to get the front plunger screw out as it was just beginning to chew up. Ended up just spraying some GT-85 style stuff at down the plunger end of the choke cable. Seems to be better now though never got a proper run today, hopefully it'll be fine now, if not might be another battle with that screw.

Thanks again,

Gav
Old 12-10-08, 08:55 PM   #14
husky03
Mega Poster

sound mate-give me a shout if you need a hand-i've got a few spare sets of carbs in the garage and a box full of sv nuts and bolts, so if you chew the screw up i'll have a spare

husky
husky03 is offline   Reply With Quote