SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-08-05, 09:28 AM   #11
Skip
Mega Poster

I am doing Snetterton on the SV and will also be testing out our new CBR, I am fully expecting to find the SV a bit lacking on the two long straights, but I am sure it will be waaaaay ahead of my abilities in the corners!
Old 04-08-05, 10:08 AM   #12
sv4me
Mega Poster

Default Re: Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4me
Quote:
Quote:
And an SV is a no no I was looking for something with a bit more poke!
Have you ridden on the track yet?
Err yes i took my ninja to Oulton park. Its abilities still outweigh mine I think but maybe thats just me being modest! I still caned the living daylights out of it just as I usually do on the road

the SV just doesnt have enough power on the track and as ive already had one would prefer something different

The reason why I got the ninja was because I was riding the SV like an IL4 and revving the brains out of it all the time. I definitely outgrew it and dont think im being big headed there. And the reason I want a track bike is I dont want to chuck my lovely ninja down the road....closely followed by my big head :P

Im looking at early fireblades at the minute,wouldnt mind a CBR1000 but cant have everything
Just because you cain the living daylights out of a bike, doesn't mean you're fast.

Unless you've got alot of track experience, I very much doubt you can ride the SV to its limits. Untill you can, what's the point getting something faster?
I know it doesnt,you have to have control and smoothness with it. I learned that riding the SV when my mates had big twins and supersports bikes,I had to have good corner speed if I was ever going to keep them in sight!

I know people will stick up for the SV,funny that but I used to scrape the pegs on mine all the time and thats just riding it on the road. I used to ride it to its limits I believe,it has only got 70hp remember. And I can handle a 600 easily enough so I was thinking along those lines. The SV is a great bike through the corners 'cause its so light and flickable,but a good rider on a 600 can still beat it. Better suspension for a start.

Although all depends on budget. How much to enter mini-twins?
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-05, 10:18 AM   #13
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And an SV is a no no I was looking for something with a bit more poke!
Have you ridden on the track yet?
Err yes i took my ninja to Oulton park. Its abilities still outweigh mine I think but maybe thats just me being modest! I still caned the living daylights out of it just as I usually do on the road

the SV just doesnt have enough power on the track and as ive already had one would prefer something different

The reason why I got the ninja was because I was riding the SV like an IL4 and revving the brains out of it all the time. I definitely outgrew it and dont think im being big headed there. And the reason I want a track bike is I dont want to chuck my lovely ninja down the road....closely followed by my big head :P

Im looking at early fireblades at the minute,wouldnt mind a CBR1000 but cant have everything
Just because you cain the living daylights out of a bike, doesn't mean you're fast.

Unless you've got alot of track experience, I very much doubt you can ride the SV to its limits. Untill you can, what's the point getting something faster?
I know it doesnt,you have to have control and smoothness with it. I learned that riding the SV when my mates had big twins and supersports bikes,I had to have good corner speed if I was ever going to keep them in sight!

I know people will stick up for the SV,funny that but I used to scrape the pegs on mine all the time and thats just riding it on the road. I used to ride it to its limits I believe,it has only got 70hp remember. And I can handle a 600 easily enough so I was thinking along those lines. The SV is a great bike through the corners 'cause its so light and flickable,but a good rider on a 600 can still beat it. Better suspension for a start.

Although all depends on budget. How much to enter mini-twins?
It's nothing to do with sticking up for the SV, I'm just saying that unless you're an extremely experienced track rider, there's no point getting anything that's quicker.

You might be quick on the power and lean right over in the corners, but that's the easy part and anyone can do it. Stringing it all together is the difficult bit, and if you can't do it on the SV, no point getting anything faster.
Old 04-08-05, 10:27 AM   #14
sv4me
Mega Poster

Not anyone can do it,going off what ive seen

Im not saying id win the mini twins series and I certainly need to work on my throttle control and braking into corners. But im pretty fast already and would like to get quicker,I want a bike that can do that with me

Simple
Old 04-08-05, 10:37 AM   #15
Mike1234

The SV is still far more capable than you I'm afraid.

Why not have a go at the MiniTwins. There are people at every level, including those I can beat using just one gear and no brakes, and then there are those that I can only dream of beating.

If you want to win it you will need to do these times:

Brands Hatch (Indy)
0:51.83
Brands Hatch (GP)
1:39.53
Cadwell Park (Full)
1:40.08
Croft
1:32.02
Croix en Ternois
0:57.98
Knockhill
0:57.71
Lydden Hill
0:44.25
Oulton Park
1:54.35
Pembrey
1:03.67
Silverstone (National)
1:09.19
Snetterton
1:15.81
Old 04-08-05, 10:39 AM   #16
Mike1234

Quote:
Scraping the pegs can be as much a factor of poor riding style than going quickly. Think of the number of people you can ride round the outside of on a track day with their knee on the deck and you don't have anywhere near enough lean angle to do the same!
Old 04-08-05, 10:46 AM   #17
sv4me
Mega Poster

Let me build up to it 1st!

How do you work out if the bike is more capable than you? If youre using all its braking ability going into a corner,leaning it as far as possible and revving its brains out down the straights then surely youre getting close?

Still it comes down to the fact ive had an SV and would like something different + I dont like them ******* sportsbikes howling past me on the starights and scaring the **** outta me!

Usually the pegs thing or knee down was just to show off or prove to people(including myself I could do it!) my usual riding I lean over pretty far but nowhere near decking out. Fastest guy ive ever been out with left me for dead on a road I know well and he never once stuck his knee out. Seemed pointless after that!
Old 04-08-05, 10:51 AM   #18
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
How do you work out if the bike is more capable than you?
When you're in the advanced group on an SV, beating people who have litre sports bikes.
Old 04-08-05, 10:55 AM   #19
sv4me
Mega Poster

Thats as much them being **** poor as you being good but I know what you mean. Still doesnt make the SV more capable than you

Mike1234 how much does it cost to enter the mini twins? I was only really looking to get a track bike to practice round oulton and aintree and build up on but im quite tempted if the prices arent too high
Old 04-08-05, 11:00 AM   #20
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Thats as much them being p*ss poor as you being good but I know what you mean.
In the novice group, yes. In the advanced group, no.

Untill you can do it the SV is better than you so there's no point getting something faster.

I'm looking to get a faster bike next year, but for the road, not the track. I always thought it would be the other way round too.