SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Margaret Thatcher.....
Outstayed her welcome by 2 terms 4 11.43%
Dragged the country up from off its árse 22 62.86%
Megalomaniac, self obsessed tyrant 5 14.29%
Don't care 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-05, 11:56 AM   #11
Nutkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
wasnt unemployment at 3 mill when she took over? correct me if im wrong
I know .... there was some lazy *******s out there. Would've been anyway, whoever was in power.
Old 05-04-05, 01:38 PM   #12
lynw

as viney said, she did some good things and some bad things.... the latter being the things that affected me and my family the most so during the 80s I disagreed with most of what she did and was very staunch anti-conservative.

However, since labour have been elected Ive found them to have sold out on all their original principals and let people like me and my family down.

In light of that, for the first time ever in my life Id vote conservative - the liberals have fecked up big time down here and I think once more Kent will go Tory at the next election... personally for me... the tories are a better option... and thats something I grew up thinking Id never say...

but tbh... theres no difference between any of them... everyones central and fence sitting and Im now completely apathetic about the whole thing... its interesting that in Australia... you HAVE to vote... you can not not vote or your fined....

Now I look back and as much as I disagree with her policies - I see the self orientated culture her policies introduced a bad thing and a reason why our society is in a bad way - I wish we had a leader as strong as her and with the convictions she had. There wouldnt be any wishy washy change with the wind stuff we have now...
Old 05-04-05, 01:41 PM   #13
SVeeedy Gonzales

Fair do's, she did exactly what she wanted to do, without pandering to everyone and everything like Blair does...

But she wrecked the country. See all that lack of concern in the people out there for each other? All that "I'm all right Jack" attitude? All that money that rich f@ckers pay themselves while people doing the real work get screwed?

Most of that started with Thatcher... and it's still going downhill at the moment Too many people going around thinking they're better/more important than other people and don't have to accept responsibility for their actions.

In short, Thatcher IS "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" personified.
Old 05-04-05, 01:43 PM   #14
keithd

you have to vote in Aus? there's a can of worms.

its good that it forces people to vote, but

people could just check ANY box, vote for anybody. cos they like their name, summat like that

they could vote for somebody they havent the slightest idea on their policies etc ok they could take the time to find out more.....but it raises more problems than it solves.

probably.
Old 05-04-05, 01:52 PM   #15
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
people could just check ANY box, vote for anybody. cos they like their name, summat like that
And thats wrong..how?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-05, 01:58 PM   #16
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
And thats wrong..how?
good point well argued!
Old 05-04-05, 02:04 PM   #17
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
And thats wrong..how?
Indeed.
That doesn't happen as much here because the people who want to vote properly are the ones that go down and do it. In a country where voting is compulsory, then yes, for a while you might get alot of less well though out votes, but after a while people will vote properly. The reason? They're voting anyway, so when they get fed up of their crap leaders, something will be done.
Old 05-04-05, 02:04 PM   #18
Nutkins

I like Aussie politicians, they are openly corruptable and they call a spade a spade. When I was last out there, I listened to a radio interview with one of their MPs, talking about the unions etc. (boring ZZZzzzz), he referred to the leader of the trade union as a "****ing ******" ...... I PMSL .... the Australians didn't bat an eyelid.

Love 'em.
Old 05-04-05, 02:18 PM   #19
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Fair do's, she did exactly what she wanted to do, without pandering to everyone and everything like Blair does...

But she wrecked the country. See all that lack of concern in the people out there for each other? All that "I'm all right Jack" attitude? All that money that rich f@ckers pay themselves while people doing the real work get screwed?

Most of that started with Thatcher... and it's still going downhill at the moment Too many people going around thinking they're better/more important than other people and don't have to accept responsibility for their actions.

In short, Thatcher IS "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" personified.
Disagree.

The last 8 years has seen Labour institute a nanny state of massive proportion. Personal responsibility is at an all time low, but is it any wonder when government now interferes with every last aspect of every day life? If you remove freedom of choice it seems perfectly obvious that the apathy that now consumes the general populace would result.

Social security is currently this countries biggest expenditure. That's just wrong, especialy when unemployment is so low (not least because of an influx of worthless public sector jobs). I bet all that money is going to people who really need it
Old 05-04-05, 02:44 PM   #20
SVeeedy Gonzales

I'm not saying Blair and Co are any better, just that Thatcher gave it a good start... it wasn't all roses before she came in but she started something bad when she tried to make things better.

Personally I think they're all useless - mostly out for themselves and making as much as they can by having the power... that's what happens when people can't be held responsible for their own actions, just as happens in big business.

It's easy to see the past with rose tinted specs; social security and a host of other things weren't exactly wonderful under Thatcher - can still recall the same stories about single mums getting free houses and rubbish NHS and awful train services... none of this is new.

However, it's getting worse and that's because politicians have adopted Thatcher's preferred methods - getting private companies and consultants in to solve problems... then they just go and arrive at whatever conclusion makes them the most money, hence speed cameras, etc.

Way I see it, Blair is just carrying on Thatchers good work.