SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-01-05, 08:36 PM   #11
The Mass

I had the Halfords gauge for Chrimbo - works a treat!
Old 29-01-05, 09:27 PM   #12
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

thanks for all the help guys.

Nice one for the link embee

Guess i'll be after that accurite one then. Cheap and spot one, cant go wrong really.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-05, 01:13 AM   #13
Warren

i got the halfords one.
i also have the motrax one (the keyring one for a tenner) for under my seat.

both are spot on.
i dunno about petrol garages. ive used BP ones and tested them after and they seem to be spot on (ive used about 5 BP garages in this way)

the older looking air machines are a bit out tho i find.
Old 30-01-05, 10:29 AM   #14
wheelnut

I find the halfords one are fine, mine is accurate enough for me and consistent.

I think Halfords gear is made by Facom, Draper and Teng anyway, all decent brands.

You cannot rely on garage forecourts, but the main dealer should have any tools and gauges calibrated.
Old 30-01-05, 11:57 AM   #15
ophic
Mega Poster

i found using a pencil type gauge a pain in the proverbial due to the front disc brakes. Got a small halfords digital meter now which works a treat. No ideas about accuracy but the tyres have never let me down so far... well, not due to tyre pressure anyway...
Old 30-01-05, 02:36 PM   #16
embee
Mega Poster

I suspect the "digi gauges are rubbish" beliefs are like so many myths.

There was probably some truth in this when they first came on the market, but when you look at the technology behind them there's no fundamental reason why they should be anything other than pretty accurate.

I built an electronic carb balancing device using a differential pressure transducer, which is the same technology as the digi tyre gauges. OK it was possibly slightly better quality componentry (voltage regulator, resistors etc), but not dramatically (cost £25 or so to build). When I calibrated it the sensitivity was well within 1% of that stated for the transducer in the spec sheet.

Simple and easy to use is worth a couple of percent inaccuracy!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote