SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-08, 10:05 AM   #11
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding without a clutch...

I only use the clutch for starting off & downshifts, other than that I don't bother & never have done
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-08, 10:30 AM   #12
Blue_SV650S

You can get emergency cable repair kits from HG.

Having had a few cables go on me over the years, I always carry a repair kit now. That said, the last one I had go I couldn't even be bothered to pull over and fix it, so just rode it home (it was only a few miles)!!

It is good to know I have the repair kit to hand if I really need it though. Although riding without a clutch is possible, it is dodgy/potentially dangerous if you need to be riding through town and it is busy!
Old 31-08-08, 11:02 AM   #13
Interceptor

Had the clutch cable snap on my old Z1000R while cruising down Blackpool's Golden Mile, in illumiation's traffic one October many years ago, with me mate on a CB900, inconvienient to say the least, but I managed to ride it all the way home to Huddersfield without having to stop, just used the flexible engine torque, and coasted up to traffic lights...... it helped being round about midnight aswell........
Old 31-08-08, 11:12 AM   #14
riktherider

when my dad used to have a yamaha xs1100 he allways used to have a spare clutch and throttle cable taped next to the curent cable so if it did break all you ahve to do is swap it over. good idea, but ugly having spare cables lying around.
Old 31-08-08, 11:50 AM   #15
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktherider View Post
when my dad used to have a yamaha xs1100 he allways used to have a spare clutch and throttle cable taped next to the curent cable so if it did break all you ahve to do is swap it over. good idea, but ugly having spare cables lying around.
Yeah a bit ugly and surely they are just exposed to all the elements? Having a clutch and throttle cable bagged up under the seat would be a good idea mind

Had a throttle cable go on me too, that was easy to get round (temporarily) though ... just wind the idle adjuster right up
Old 31-08-08, 02:59 PM   #16
fastdruid
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post
Had a throttle cable go on me too, that was easy to get round (temporarily) though ... just wind the idle adjuster right up
Just don't ever do as I did and use the 'B' cable as the 'A' cable,
so it accelerated as you closed the throttle. Seemed a good idea at the time to get me home, wasn't too bad when traffic was light and on the motorway where I had plenty of planning room, wasn't so good in town when someone pulled out in front of me (as I was leaving a big gap to the car in front) and I instinctively closed the throttle and wheelied towards them!

Druid