SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-08, 11:47 PM   #11
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Motorcycle ''Instructor'' Training?

I really am very much a people person, always have been always will be, i've survived behind a bar for many of my younger years. When I left school I went to college to start being a teacher of English funnily enough. So maybe I'm already halfway there in some respects,
And I live n breath bikes, my family are sick of hearing or seeing them...hehehe

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 12:25 AM   #12
Durbs

I'd go for it then if you reckon you are cut out for teaching. Realistically, it'd take 10 mins to teach someone who's never been on a bike in their life to actually ride one, its the ability to get across the importance or road sense in a way that a yoof will listen to thats that trick.

I agree that being a female instructor would be a bonus too. Recently a mate of mine who i used to ride with when we were 16 year olds on our 50's a loooong time ago went to do his training. His wife fancied doing it too and went to pick him up at the training center afterwards but was really put off after seeing the the instructor effing and blinding at a group of young scooter CBT candidates. She said the whole bloke-iness of the place put her off and she wouldnt want to be spoken to like that.
Old 05-01-08, 12:33 AM   #13
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
why waste your life going out each day
She doesn't, bloody part timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
was really put off after seeing the the instructor effing and blinding at a group of young scooter CBT candidates. She said the whole bloke-iness of the place put her off and she wouldnt want to be spoken to like that.
Bit daft, some people need a good effing (like me on my lessons, from phil at LSM for scaring old ladies!) and a good teacher can figure out who needs coddling and who needs the sargeant major treatment.

Dizzy I've been telling you for ages to get your ar$e in gear and do it, hope the advice from here gives you enough info to make a start.

Have an online kick up the rse
Old 05-01-08, 08:00 AM   #14
mister c
Mega Poster

Sometimes effing & geffing is the only language some of these people understand. Some of the youngsters turn up with the "I can't fail" attitude, so just mess about. Giving them a good shouting at puts them on the right track sometimes.
Durbs, if you can get someone to ride a bike in 10 mins, then you need to become an instructor I have spent 3 days with some people and they still can't get to grips with it. If you have the natural instinct to ride, then it's easy, but when you have someone that has never ridden before, that is so scared that they are crying 1st thing in the morning then it's a different story. I had one lady that wouldn't turn right, left was fine, but not to the right. Another one was that they could U turn one way, but not the other (in reality it is always to the right whichever side of the road you are on) How do you teach somebody that? It is breaking down thier fears and reasuring them that they can do it, &, Dizzy it sounds as though you may have what it takes.
I will be perfectly honest with you, I get paid £6 per hour. If you then take out of that the wear & tear on your bike, fuel, clothing etc. It leaves you with bugger all. Like I said earlier, I do it because I WANT to teach people to ride. I only do it at the weekends for a bit of pocket money, i couldn't live off it full time.
There are some schools out there that will pay more, but it won't be a lot more. The only people that gain are the training schools themselves, but then they have to buy the bikes & maintain them, so I doubt whether they make a great deal of money. I dont want to put you off, but I wouldn't do it as a career. I get a lot of satisfaction out of someone turning up in the morning that is totally cr@p, then leaving at the end of the day riding a bike & saying thank you to me for all of my help. That is worth a lot more than the cash at the end of the day

Last edited by mister c; 05-01-08 at 08:24 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 11:03 AM   #15
missyburd

Yey Dizzy go for it! Think you'd do a great job.
Then you can instruct me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
I personally feel there aren't enough 'Lady' instructors out there, and lots of ladies get put off by being trained by a bloke( not all of them do, just some).

I have had a full license for over three years maybe four, no points and I'm of an age that puts me as 'mature'!!
Think you're right about the Lady Instructor thing, I don't think I'd mind too much either way but would think it be nice to be instructed by someone who could reassure/advise from a lass's perspective.

And you've said yourself you've got the experience, so why not?
Old 06-01-08, 11:11 AM   #16
Alpinestarhero

Firsty, don't go to uni UNLESS you are really interested in studying something. Even as much as I love chemistry, there are some days/weeks/months that I wish i had done something else.

So dont go to uni if you're only half-arsed about it.

Secondly, my CBT instructor was a woman, working for Norton Motorcycle Training just outside brighton in west sussex (worthing and southwick). It was great, as she was less of a pi$$-taker than the guy who took us for the ride out in the afternoon!

I would like to be a motorcycle instructor aswell one day, possibly along with teaching chemistry

Matt
Old 06-01-08, 12:10 PM   #17
kitkat

my local motorcycle school were looking for instructors preferably women. i sent email saying i was interested heard nothing for 6 weeks then got email saying if I was still interested send my cv. i did. heard nothing for 4 weeks. got email asking me to send details of contact so they could phone me. did this. that was November. not heard anything. im thinking this is maybe not for me lol

go for it dizzy
Old 06-01-08, 02:00 PM   #18
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
my local motorcycle school were looking for instructors preferably women. i sent email saying i was interested heard nothing for 6 weeks then got email saying if I was still interested send my cv. i did. heard nothing for 4 weeks. got email asking me to send details of contact so they could phone me. did this. that was November. not heard anything. im thinking this is maybe not for me lol

go for it dizzy
Call in & see them. We are human, we don't bite.............. Much
The more women instructors the better I say
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 02:13 PM   #19
sv-robo

don,t think i could do the teaching thing,i was at the back of the Q when patience was given out.
Old 06-01-08, 08:02 PM   #20
andywilson460

I am ex-Norton student in Worthing as well, and they had at least 2 female instructors - really excellent - everyone was rotated between Male/Female over their days to make sure we developed our skills and had different inputs. Great school to learn with and brilliant instructors.