SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-12-11, 06:05 PM   #11
Bluefish

Default Re: Santa

Santa does exist, he does, he does, he does
Old 08-12-11, 07:33 PM   #12
leebex

thats you back on the good boy list Bluefishman

I let my 2 kids believe in father christmas, why spoil it until they work it out anyway, its never done me any harm, Im now living at the bottom of the garden with the pixies and elves

Last edited by leebex; 08-12-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-12-11, 08:21 PM   #13
Stingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
The problem with telling your child that he doesnt exist is that the rest of their friends will believe he does, so you are not just spoiling it for your own child but other kids as well.

Honestly I think it is nothing more then part of childhood innocence to believe in Santa.
You should listen to this. Also, it's partly about that magical sparkle in the eyes of the little ones on Xmas morning, amongst other things. It's a wonderful thing to believe in a little innocent fantasy. It won't last for long so make the most of it. Mine are nine and seven, I'm guessing that this might be the last Santa year. The older one has already worked out that the Santa at school is a grandparent of one her friends.

I think one should be careful about shattering illusions no matter what the reason. It requires very careful consideration, not just life experience on its own.
Old 08-12-11, 09:22 PM   #14
Terah

I think it's the spoiling it for other kids that bugs me the most. On one hand it's a little ridiculous that we should have to lie to our kids to keep other people's kids happy, on the other it's a little harsh to ruin their belief just for the sake of a little lie.
Old 08-12-11, 10:15 PM   #15
TamSV
Mega Poster

I'm pro-Santa.

We're all to some extent psychologically damaged by our parents and, like it or not, our kids will be psychologically damaged by us.

Lying about Santa is the least of it.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 10:28 PM   #16
DJFridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Santa does exist until the point your child tells you he doesn't.........simples
Abso-blooming-lutely. We're in the slightly odd position at the moment of the 12 year old not believing but the 11 year old still does. What's really lovely is that, as a proper big brother, he is still desperate for the young one not to find out until he's ready. He even wants to help us sneak the presents out under the tree.
Old 08-12-11, 10:39 PM   #17
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
I'm pro-Santa.

We're all to some extent psychologically damaged by our parents and, like it or not, our kids will be psychologically damaged by us.

Lying about Santa is the least of it.

Aye...so Terah, rather than your good lady carrying on with the tradition that her parents started, why not sprinkle a little cheer*, with a tiny white lie that Santa exists.

*which reminds me...Grinch here has a problem with when to put up the decorations......but DizzyPeg the destroyer will have demolished the tree in 20 seconds using it as a walking aid and I'm refusing to put any up!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 10:54 PM   #18
hongman

We do the whole shebang here. Letters from Santa, grotto visit, fairies, etc.

As a child (and partly Chinese culture?) I never really believed it anyway. I went along with it but being a big too sensible I never truly bought into the idea. Couples with the fact my parents didnt make a big deal out of it and there you go.

My mrs on the other hand, total opposite. She puts most of the effort in with Xmas so I let her get on with it.

Kids love it, so why spoil it. Plus it's a good thing when they are being naughty, great leverage! Lol
Old 08-12-11, 10:55 PM   #19
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
where does it all end? There's no tooth fairy, no super heroes, mickey and minnie mouse are just puppets, no gold at the end of the rainbow, etc . Why make your life difficult just go with the flow the kid is only 3 I doubt they will be able to reason the truth anyway. Kids grow up fast enough.
+1
Old 08-12-11, 11:04 PM   #20
Reeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefishman View Post
Santa does exist, he does, he does, he does
He doesn't.