SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-07, 02:27 PM   #11
Warthog

Default Re: Pay & Display parking ticket

I tried this. Got caught without a ticket in Birmingham Pay and Display. Sent a letter saying it must have been stolen or blown off, but they told me to go **** myself so I paid. be glad you got free parking for 10 months!
Old 25-05-07, 02:33 PM   #12
MiniMatt

Really don't like those ones that ask for reg plate details. Their only purpose is to prevent people passing on tickets with a bit of time left on them to other people - this was something that encouraged a bit of good feeling amongst society It's not as if the practice actually lost money from the car park owner, the space was still payed for, it's just that with reg plate taken they realised the space could be payed for twice. At the same time

In Oxford there was a car park where the homeless turned this into a business - you gave your old ticket to the homeless guy if it had time left on it, he then passed it on to the next person, who in turn gave a small donation. It was practically a Big Issue scheme where the homeless used their iniative - even Thatcher would have been proud of that
Old 25-05-07, 03:07 PM   #13
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
I tried this. Got caught without a ticket in Birmingham Pay and Display. Sent a letter saying it must have been stolen or blown off, but they told me to go **** myself so I paid. be glad you got free parking for 10 months!
Oh I am, and the scheming part of me has already seen a flaw in the councils policy.

Basically, I pay for a parking permit, then the warden keeps slapping fines on the bike. They get a talking to from Parking Services, and stop putting a ticket on the bike because I have a permit.

When the permit expires in a year, will the traffic warden know that the permit on my bike (considering it can be used on any vehicle whilst valid) know that my permit has expired? If they're not reminded by anyone, they may just figure that I have a new permit, or might not even be aware of the fact it's expired.

More free parking here I come.
Old 25-05-07, 05:01 PM   #14
Kinvig

erm....you've just told a public forum how you aim to be sneaky & defraud the parking people.....!!!!!!

edit your post!

You may aspire to be paranoid, but are you being paranoid enough?
Old 25-05-07, 05:10 PM   #15
gettin2dizzy

In Manchester the parking bandits are on scooters, a drive on to the pavements up the windscreen to check for tickets. Pretty illegal in itself! Although saw a copper in an unmarked car go through a red light today. He was not in any hurry - just being a *****.
Old 25-05-07, 05:34 PM   #16
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
go on pepipoo.com or .co.uk

They pretty much will beable to get you out of most FPN or PCN's
It doesnt. The GF has worked in the departent that deals with letters, 99% of them quote out of date legislation, and are 99% incorrect for the actual offence. All it does is puts a huge amount of pressure on the poor people that are working in the call centre replying to these complete wastes of time.

This is what people tend to forget. The people that are answering your letters, calls etc, are not connected with the people that issue the tickets. They work of scanned items from an 3rd party on a screen. Its truly a nighmare. They work with bad systems, and one one system, they have 35-40 people using 1, or 2 pc's for a piece of software, because the company is too tight to buy more licences.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-07, 11:52 AM   #17
Gordon B

I park in the same Pay and Display every day but never pay.

I phoned first and was told that while the council would rather I didn't take up a space there wasn't a great deal they could do about it as they didnt provide dedicated bike spaces.

I may be missing something here, I have just scooted through the posts, but surely all you have to say is that you paid, displayed and someone has nicked the ticket?

This would be the defence I would use, its down to them to prove you havent payed rather than the other way round no? Or do I naiively assume we are innocent until proven guilty....
Old 26-05-07, 01:55 PM   #18
Fizzy Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaxx View Post
I may be missing something here, I have just scooted through the posts, but surely all you have to say is that you paid, displayed and someone has nicked the ticket?

This would be the defence I would use, its down to them to prove you havent payed rather than the other way round no? Or do I naiively assume we are innocent until proven guilty....
i guess councils might vary, especially outside of London. But I had a P&D ticket stolen from my bike in Southwark, and a parking fine put in its place. Having had my pleas to the council fall on deaf ears and done a lot of research, what came up was that you are required to display the ticket, and failure to do so = fine. end of.

So if it falls off the windscreen to land face down on your car's dash, or is stolen from your bike/open top car, etc (as per some test cases which went to the parking adjudicator) then that's your tough luck and you have to pay up. do i sound bitter??

anyway some councils take the line that motorcyclists can take the ticket with you and use this to contest any fine which you're given, but they are just being a bit nice
Old 26-05-07, 02:38 PM   #19
redlavachips

y not park on the pavement or bicycle racks thats what i do but gloucester theyhave a lot of places for motorcycles.

also in multistory car parks i just skip around the barrier and dont pay because they would make the barrier longer if they didnt want me to do it :P
Old 26-05-07, 09:08 PM   #20
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I park where I like in Halifax. Theres only 2 spots thats a proclaimed bike space i think. So i'll just have to park wherever I can. I get the guys at hte fish market to watch over it when i park in the loading bay!!
Anyway what I want to know is..... My bike says its a bicycle on the tax disk, so how does that work with parking..bicycles are all over the place and park for free too.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote