SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-06-12, 05:27 PM   #11
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: OMG and 'Like' - Impact of technology on language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post

As for dyslexia, Somehow everyones parents managed to learn a half decent ability at writing without the aid of a spellchecker, You would think legible sentences at least would be possible with it.
hahahhaaaaa. i'll write some stuff and see if you can understand what i'm saying without the spell chacker.

no like i was saying OMG you know what i meen some people are just so lush and my dinner tonight was like the best ever si i must remember to blog it or get right on facebook and tell everyone how wonderfull i am because i'm so special you know thats why my mum makes me such awsum food like coz i need a special diet coz i'm special and if i eat to much food i'll get fat and ugly and noone will like me so i dont eat much to stay lush so all the boys will give me what i want OMG i just rememberd i need to go shopping tomorow to get more nice clothes so i can look even more specila and get all the fit blokes chasin me and i need a new fone coz this one is worn out just like my lady bits from all the humpin i have been doin coz i look lush like you know those modles on tv OMG i just remembred that my lush friend is like going on kyle tomorow to have it out with her boyfriend who like got her up the duff and ran away like coz he was lush and all but the bucky got the better of her like and before she know what was goin on he had his nutz and shot hiz load like and now she is pushin a prem like coz its ok coz he was lush and if it dont work out im gona get in there and have like good lush hump times.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 06:03 PM   #12
grh1904

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
A newborn child is a blank canvas GRH. If there's something important that you dont approve of about your niece, that says more about your brother/sister/in laws.

I know what you mean about education and if she is incapable of writing properly when doing a piece of coursework, her study notes, or writing a CV, etc, then thats an issue her parents should have cared enough about to realise it and ensure it was rectified. Writing OMG and 'like' in her yearbook is just trends and peer pressure.
Ralph,

Not sure if you got exactly what I was getting at or maybe it was the way I wrote it. I have no issue about how my sister-in-law raises her kids, nor I do I have any issue that I don't approve of about my neice.

My first comment in my OP was a bit of a generalisation, written as to how I had seen comments in my neices year book & how many of the younger generation speak & the generalisation they have about historic events.

Many have no idea what WWII entailed for this country, & what it took to fight off the jackboot of tyranny. To them it's ANCIENT history that has no relevance in their society - ask them about Dunkirk, or Battle of Britain, the Desert Rats, Burma, D-Day & they'd probably struggle to answer. That is a failing of the eductaion system & society in general not to ensure that future generations know of the sacrifices made for them by their ancestors.

In relation to her yearbook, the comments in it were not written by her but by others, (isn't that the whole idea of a yearbook?????), she's of to 6th form college to get the grades she needs to go to uni & is chosing one with a ladies rugby team (both union & league as she has ambitions of playinng for country one day).

I'm a bit disappointed that my OP is taken as more of a complaint against my neice etc when I was trying to have a go at the "modern" society in general.

When everyone now a days wants to play out their relationships on the Jeremy Kyle show while watching complete nonentities like Jedward on Big Brother & the likes; I believe that this is a sad reflection on society as a whole & it doesn't surprise me why the news channels would prefer to cover 2 totally untallented morons like them carrying an oversized matchstick as opposed to a D-Day anniversary.
Old 07-06-12, 06:34 PM   #13
-Ralph-

My response is generalistic as well GRH, using your niece as a hypothetical example (note use of the word 'if' etc). You've taken it to heart a bit too much mate.
Old 07-06-12, 06:44 PM   #14
-Ralph-

To depersonalise it - IF a child of 16 does something that somebody disapproves of, then that person should see that as a reflection of the parents, not the child.

People critise young people a lot when actually had we lived in the same world they do today would we be any better? They have different pressures and inflences to us. The lines between the written (or typed) word, and spoken slang are very blurred nowadays, but when we were young the only written communication between two young people had a postage stamp on it. Thats the point of the thread, not GRH' niece.
Old 07-06-12, 11:30 PM   #15
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
hahahhaaaaa. i'll write some stuff and see if you can understand what i'm saying without the spell chacker.
The problems in that have nothing to do with the spelling, which is in part intentionally atrocious, it's more to do with the formatting.
Old 08-06-12, 05:55 AM   #16
metalangel

Anyone remember a Chris Moyles rant on what he called 'OMGIs', young people who were intelligent and well spoken... until they were around their friends when they'd lapse into pseudo-gangsta talk and say 'oh my god innit' (hence the acronym).

It's one thing to have a spoken dialect or accent, but it's jarring to see it written down (my mother is unable to decipher half the text in Viz because it's written in Geordie).

On the flipside you get those Jocks who talk incomprehensible gibberish but write the most beautiful, flowing prose
Old 08-06-12, 07:12 AM   #17
Spank86

Christ moyles is a hypocrite, I doubt he uses the same language at the pub, on the radio, and when talking to his nan.

Vry few people do.
Old 08-06-12, 08:22 AM   #18
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

For my 2p it is a lazy way to communicate, and it spills over into more formal writing or speaking, or even informal, where people can't be arsed to say something with more than a nanosecond of thought in it (in which case, is it worth listening to?). When did the word "slash" replace "or", for example?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 08:55 AM   #19
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
For my 2p it is a lazy way to communicate, and it spills over into more formal writing or speaking, or even informal, where people can't be arsed to say something with more than a nanosecond of thought in it (in which case, is it worth listening to?). When did the word "slash" replace "or", for example?
Indeed, I read all this text speak and OMG language that much, my own educated grasp of the English Language has started to suffer*. I have to question my spelling or phrases, as I see things written in such a way now, the real way looks wrong!

*which is bad, as I'm usually a walking dictionary, and studied English language at a higher level.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 09:38 AM   #20
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
and studied English language at a higher level.
You went to school in Scotland?