SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-08-12, 01:56 PM   #11
sv_rory

Default Re: car insurance, what a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davadvice View Post
"heavily modified arosa with over 20 grands worth of bodywork"

20K on a 1-2k car is this correct ?

yeah it is mate i say 20 plus grand because thats what it would cost a customer and what its got to be insured for
Old 30-08-12, 02:06 PM   #12
Woogie

Probably for the same reason I pay around £750 a year for a 1.8 TDCI Sport Focus with 7 years NCB and 3 points (The points made absolutely no difference to my premium at all) and I'm 27. I'm also paying around £700 a year for my SV
Old 30-08-12, 02:28 PM   #13
Tom_the_great

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_rory View Post
yeah it is mate i say 20 plus grand because thats what it would cost a customer and what its got to be insured for
Can you post some photos please, quite keen to see it.

Black Tinted Screen!, Evotech Tail Tidy!, OEM Rear Hugger!, R&G Crash Bungs!, Delkevic Exhuast!

Current Mileage = 3000 (Ish)
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-12, 02:49 PM   #14
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie View Post
I'm also paying around £700 a year for my SV
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?! I was paying £70 (TPFT). £180 for the gixxer, also TPFT.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-12, 02:56 PM   #15
Woogie

Yeah I nearly Cried... its because I have no NCB, have 3 points and will be doing 18k (roughly) a year on it including commuting.... and that was a cheap quote..... I told them it was a S and they quoted me originally as an N and gave me a quote for about £500 fully comp so decided to go for it, it then got upped to £650... and then I have gear cover on that as well for a further £50 covering £1k worth of gear.... TPFT was only £30 cheaper so thought fudge it and went fully comp

Oh and my Excess is £400
Old 30-08-12, 02:58 PM   #16
sv_rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout View Post
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?! I was paying £70 (TPFT). £180 for the gixxer, also TPFT.

I pay £87.99 fully comp!
Old 30-08-12, 03:03 PM   #17
Viney
Mega Poster

Essentially you Seat falls into a totally different catagory than the pug as its modified. The premiums are calculated in a completley different way than the norm. If you heaviliy modified the Pug then this would be the same. Also, as pointed out, you cant have one lot of NCB on both cars. You will have to earn it on the second car.

Insurance is bonkers and makes no sense whatsoever. You can call the same company 3 times in one day and get 3 different quotes on the same car.

Would love to see a picture of your Seat. It sounds, erm, interesting.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-12, 03:54 PM   #18
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
I cant work this out, maybe somebody can help me to understand.

I have a heavily modified arosa with over 20 grands worth of bodywork done all declared on my policy so it's totally legit and the premium is £345 a year fully comp, with no excess.

I was given a Peugeot 106 yesterday 98 plate, in immaculate condition with only 39k on the clock, 1.4 auto. It has been in storage from a deceased family.

I have therefore decided to insure the pug to use as a daily runner as my arosa is too impractical to use.

I have gone online and cannot get any quotes at all coming in under £800 a year with hefty excesses. Im 28 years old, got 7 years no claims, no claims or convictions ever and a completely clean license.

I have tried all the big comparison sites and i'm not getting anywhere, it doesn't make any sense at all why its over £500 a year more expensive to have a bog standard 14 year old car,

Any ideas?
never heard of a arosa before,had to look that one up,and its a tiny little car,and must be a low insurance group and cheap to insure, in a unmodified state anycase,and far be it for me to critizise,but why change the habits of a life time,how can you spend over 20k on body work!!
Old 30-08-12, 04:42 PM   #19
Fallout
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie View Post
Yeah I nearly Cried... its because I have no NCB, have 3 points and will be doing 18k (roughly) a year on it including commuting.... and that was a cheap quote..... I told them it was a S and they quoted me originally as an N and gave me a quote for about £500 fully comp so decided to go for it, it then got upped to £650... and then I have gear cover on that as well for a further £50 covering £1k worth of gear.... TPFT was only £30 cheaper so thought fudge it and went fully comp

Oh and my Excess is £400
Quote:
I pay £87.99 fully comp!
I don't have gear cover, because none of my gear is expensive. £150 lid and RST textiles. And I go TPFT because I wouldn't claim anyway, since 4 years NCB isn't worth throwing away in my opinion for an old SV. I suppose I'd regret it if I totally destroyed the bike, but then I'd probably be hospitalized.

They're just all my thoughts and assumptions anyway. We all play the game differently. For me it's all about riding on a budget and risking a little more. Plus I would do all minor to medium repairs myself. Horses for courses! Some people say "who buys TPFT these days?" well, I do. And when I add all the cars and bikes together over the years, I'd say I've saved more than the value of any one vehicle.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-12, 05:50 PM   #20
sv_rory

for those who were curious ,heres some pics of my show car, it's a little different now tho, its back in the bodyshop having the flake removed and a repaint in bmw black and some more mods.