SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-06-08, 01:54 PM   #11
krhall

Default Re: Mortgage Rate Hike - Money Saving Tips Required!

Ed - Don't tell Mrs.H, but somehow I have managed to accumilate 5 pairs of running shoes. 3 Kayano's, 1 2120GT and a pair of Adidas. So my running costs should be limited over the coming year.

I only have one race I am thinking of doing (New Forest Marathon), then I'm going to try and enjoy my running again.

I was thinking that if I run twice per week and cycle once then if I can actually sustain that I will be running reasonable mileage and save some money.

On the cards front, we are both good and only have debit cards. Although I did notice that little trips to the tesco express add up. Only noticed it once I started running a spreadsheet on my spending.
Old 12-06-08, 02:14 PM   #12
gettin2dizzy

www.moneysavingexpert.com

Try the forums in particular. If you're really keen to save money it's pretty easy if you're strict.

I started a lift share for my 35mile (each way) commute. Yes it takes 10 mins longer but it saves me ?20 a week.
I don't bring cash in to work (vending machine temptation) & bring sarnies
Walk to the shops; you can carry less back and it saves fuel
I take cash in to the shops. With Planning I've managed a weekly budget of ?10 ( but not every week ).
Stick to 65/70 mph on the motorways, drive smoothly and you'll get 100-150miles extra per tank
use www.petrolprices.co.uk to find the cheapest station

There's loads you can do to make a difference. Just don't ruin it by having a 'night off' after mising for so long
Old 12-06-08, 02:22 PM   #13
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Don't enter races!! Entry fees are ridiculous money. And you don't really need to replace running shoes after 500 miles, mine 'go round land' as my MIL would say.
the cushoning in them is knackered after 500 miles of running though! and if you're a more 'heavy set' gent then even quicker!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 04:31 PM   #14
krhall

Jobs?
Old 12-06-08, 05:48 PM   #15
MR UKI (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Jobs?
I had a job at weekends at a local petrol station a couple of years ago (as well as my Mon - Fri 9to5 job). The work was dead easy and in a sad way quite enjoyable (chatting to bikers etc when they came in to fuel up), but I would seriously try to avoid getting a 2nd job if you can, I was knackered doing 7 days a week.
Old 12-06-08, 06:45 PM   #16
kwak zzr

dont be over insured, my work pension was also life insurance so i cancelled the life insurance against my mortgage, i also cancelled my critical illness insurance and gambled on the chance that i wouldnt get ill, most insurances wont pay anyhow even if you do have them they will find ways to claw there way out, i'm not saying dont have insurance but DONT BE OVER INSURED.
Old 13-06-08, 07:50 AM   #17
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
dont be over insured, my work pension was also life insurance so i cancelled the life insurance against my mortgage, i also cancelled my critical illness insurance and gambled on the chance that i wouldnt get ill, most insurances wont pay anyhow even if you do have them they will find ways to claw there way out, i'm not saying dont have insurance but DONT BE OVER INSURED.
Just been through that and managed to claw back almost £30 per month, which will help.
Old 13-06-08, 08:04 AM   #18
Blue_SV650S

Without knowing your monthly expenditure breakdown its a bit like playing 'battle ships' giving ideas of how to save cash.

As for ways of making money 'on the side' ... renting a room is an option (presuming you have a spare room).

Do you have kids? Send them out on paperounds and get them to give you half the money as 'keep' ... it'll teach them responsibility and bring in some extra cash.

Apart from that, take on a shelf stacking type job in the evenings or at the weekends. Taking on a low-paid job, it's critical that the place you work is walking distance from your house. ... no point spending a fiver on fuel for a £20/day job!!
Old 13-06-08, 08:39 AM   #19
muffles

Record what you are spending money on first, that will help identify where you can trim.

Tips that generally work are things like using the energy - OK you've got the cheapest now, but the best way to save is to use less. E.g. I have the heating off now, since it's summer. If you have a variable hot water temp, can you keep it at a lower temperature?

You could make extra money from Ebay if you can find the right market. I too am thinking about this - just to see how much I could make really - but for example, tyre paste (which I bought recently). I bought a 250ml tub that someone had obviously whipped up themselves from a big tub. Just find something you can buy in bulk and sell cheaper in smaller amounts.
Old 13-06-08, 09:06 AM   #20
krhall

Mods on the bike have now officially stopped!