SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-05-07, 09:31 AM   #11
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default Re: 9x3 Number plate

But it was actually reporting Police advise. (if visible from 20.5meters advise only)
Agreed - quoting it back to them is not going to put you in a good place.

It's only £30 + cost of plate. If it's readable you might get away with, depends what else is illegal about your bike or riding, only you can decide if it's worth the risk.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-07, 09:33 AM   #12
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
it also says you can have any colour headlight cover except red
You probably can but not with a light on I would imagine?
Old 24-05-07, 09:41 AM   #13
Baph

If the private plate has the lettering the right size, and the right spacing apart, I reckon it'd be let go most of the time.

As others have said, if it's readable from a distance, usually fair game.

My plate is standard (CX## DZ?) and is a 9x5. Ever so slightly too small in all dimensions (letter size/space/plate size). Also something worth noting is that the tag line is supposed to (legal requirement) state where the plate was purchased from. I didn't know this until it was pointed out to me

Only one copper has talked to me about the plate, despite being stopped a couple of times. Even then it was a case of "that plate looks a little on the small side, but I'd need a ruler to be sure, and I can't be bothered, next time you might not be so lucky" type conversation.

I'm not sure if it's construction & use or RTA that states that lights at the front of a vehicle MUST be white (except indicators) unless it's a special classification of vehicle. If you're running with yellow lights for example, you're breaking the law!

At the end of the day, its your pocket that the fine comes from, and it's your licence should anything be worthy of a few points (and we all know, the more points you get, the more prizes you get! )

Last edited by Baph; 24-05-07 at 09:43 AM.
Old 24-05-07, 09:47 AM   #14
hovis

i think there was somthing about attitude mentioned too.......... if you appologise (no good for baph) you will be ok

but

if you wave the bit of paper from MCN in the coppers face telling him he is wrong,& give him greif, you will get done

commen sence IMO
Old 24-05-07, 09:57 AM   #15
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovis View Post
i think there was somthing about attitude mentioned too.......... if you appologise (no good for baph) you will be ok
Not always. Depends on the copper more than anything. They have the ability to use discresion.

I get stopped a lot, but rarely done for anything. Worst I've had was a producer (besides the one that I got quashed).

Deny everything, and rely on the copper not knowing the law fully. Also coming across as friendly helps, but that depends on my mood & if I know why they've stopped me or not.

(PS. Handy little hint, to prove a speeding offence where only one officer is in the vehicle, they have to record you over a minimum distance - or so I'm told. Worked a treat for me the other night. Clocked the unmarked car pull out to follow me, so I pulled off the A55 straight away )
Old 24-05-07, 10:03 AM   #16
Tomcat

If it looks good .... who cares !!!

Old 24-05-07, 10:08 AM   #17
gettin2dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
depends what else is illegal about your bike or riding,
like an exhaust, 7 x 5 no. plate, front and rear indicators....

If I got stopped I'd be fuming. Theres so many cars around Manchester that are obviously illegal; with a population thats 40% 1st or 2nd generation immigrant - theres a big lack of understanding of the importance of having a licence, insurance and a car that works! and 40% chav scum (i may have made that last one up ) who just don't give a **** about anyone. But it seems they never get stopped.
Old 24-05-07, 10:25 AM   #18
MiniMatt

Re-read the oh-so-interesting "Road vehicle lighting regulations 1989". Now this is really heavy going for a non-lawyer (I actually expect it's heavy going for them too ).

Sidelights appear to have to be "White or, if incorporated in a headlamp which is capable of emitting only a yellow light, yellow". Dipped headlights appear to specify "White or yellow", same with main beam headlights.

Curiously, my dodgy interpretation of the law also seems to suggest that motorcycles are limited to one headlight? SVS owners in trouble already?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm - the schedules at the bottom appear to be the key bit. Oh, and two ammendments in 2005 - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052559.htm and http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20053169.htm

If you ever have difficulty getting to sleep, this'll cure it
Old 24-05-07, 11:43 AM   #19
John Burt

Didn't think bike plates could be all on one line, IMHO htere is a clear line between having a slightly small plate (which is cosmetically enhancing) compared to one which fails to meet any of the regulations at all - reckon one of them is going to cost you £30.
Old 24-05-07, 12:04 PM   #20
the white rabbit

Like John says theres a big real world difference between 'I generally play by the rules and bend the odd one here and there' and 'this is so obviously illegal, in your face, copper'. Trouble is the latter rubs off on the former.