SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 12-02-08, 10:57 PM   #11
pencil shavings

Default Re: Card fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaxx View Post
That is worrying. When I had a shop if you punched the 'customer not present' button on the pdq machine, you needed their address and postcode to complete the transaction. I would seriously question what went on there.

Gordon
when i worked in a shop over last summer, we did lots of phone orders for the military. posting to different address than the card was regestered. when the postcode time came round, you just pressed enter, said it was wrong but the transaction would still go through. you could even put the transaction through with the incorrect security code if you had the right post code.

all the credit card details were kept in files on paper. no way of tracking it if someone just copied the details down. what makes it more scary was this was on a army base!

that is scary.
Old 12-02-08, 11:15 PM   #12
northwind
Mega Poster

Chip and pin was never designed to be foolproof, it was just designed to make it a bit harder to commit fraud- it's had a bit of an impact on professionals, a big impact on the more casual thief, all of which is good. I read somewhere that it paid for a third of the cost of the project within a year, which is good going.

What you're seeing with these shops is just a situation where they're choosing to slacken their security, in return for a benefit. They take a risk, because they're more likely to have to pay out in the event of a fraud event (banks will try and reclaim costs from shops that don't have proper safeguards) but some places think it's worthwhile. I think B&Q still have about 1/3 of their chain using signatures, for instance, because it's cheaper to suck up the cost of claims than it is to pay for protection.

This is the basis the whole industry works on, just not usually this obviously- if you look at the encryption and verification we use for large scale transactions, you can see that reducing card fraud to background level is possible- but the costs and inconvenience would be immense. So you strike a balance, x amount of fraud vs x amount of cost/hassle. The customer's protection doesn't come from the card security, it comes from the bank.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 11:21 PM   #13
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I have just discovered my card details have been stolen
Went on to my online statement and there was a transaction from some overseas airline. I just phoned them up and they said there are a few other transactions pending, totalling over ?400!! Bunch of low life scum!!!

They have cancelled my card and are sending a new one.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 01:34 AM   #14
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
Do you not hand the card over at any point? Do they not have eyes?
We hire all blind employees.

No really...They take the card from you swipe it and hand it back.
They would REALLY have to have a good photographic memory to get your card #.

And I would fire anybody I thought was checking out card #'s.

Last edited by BanannaMan; 13-02-08 at 01:39 AM.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-08, 02:04 AM   #15
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanannaMan View Post
We hire all blind employees.

No really...They take the card from you swipe it and hand it back.
They would REALLY have to have a good photographic memory to get your card #.

And I would fire anybody I thought was checking out card #'s.
or a semi averige camera, say like a mobile phone camera ?

i got scammed a while ago, dont know where, but it got flagged when 200 was drawn out in austraila, and then 5 mins later, i drew out 20 over in the uk,

my other halfs card got cloned in a petrol garage, we know exactly what one, as it was the only transaction on her credit card - shal i name and shame ?
Old 13-02-08, 02:38 AM   #16
BanannaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
or a semi averige camera, say like a mobile phone camera ?

i got scammed a while ago, dont know where, but it got flagged when 200 was drawn out in austraila, and then 5 mins later, i drew out 20 over in the uk,

my other halfs card got cloned in a petrol garage, we know exactly what one, as it was the only transaction on her credit card - shal i name and shame ?
Crooks will always find a way.
You should never let your card leave your sight IMHO.

Name and shame away....
I just hope it's not a Chevron (or Texaco).

If it is..report them. If it was the owner or manager the station could lose it's franchise...and someone will deffinately be fired.
At least that's how it is here...
They have very strict rules ..in fact ....you WILL lose your franchise here if your store is convicted of selling cigarettes to minors.
BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote