SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 17-12-08, 01:24 PM   #11
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: Track Day Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuk72 View Post
Best thing you can do is go out there and enjoy it. Don't be tempted to listen to anyone's crap about lowering tyre pressures, changing suspension settings etc - it's all unneccessary for the first outing. You will feel most confident on your bike with the settings you ride with day in day out.

Even OEM tyres are up to some track abuse and will give you more grip than you need. Just make sure the bike is roadworthy and has decent tyres and brakes. If you really must tinker, sort out your suspension sag.

Start slowly and build up the pace - and don't be afraid to ask an instructor to help you.
If it is crap advice to lower tyre pressures, then why do the track day organisers reccommend you do it?
I agree with Lozzo on this one. I tried normal road pressures on my 1st trackday, thought the bike was a bit skittish, came in, took a few psi out & found it a lot more capable
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-08, 01:26 PM   #12
silent11

i did my first track day with ron haslams race school and i can highly recommend it for your first go

as it was my first track day and didnt want to risk wrecking my bike

they are great instructors there show you how to position yourself properly and give pointers, now i feel i am comfortable on the track think ill be going on some next year

and all the gear is supplied which helped as i didnt have leathers

here's pics of me on the track day

Old 17-12-08, 01:36 PM   #13
phuk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
If it is crap advice to lower tyre pressures, then why do the track day organisers reccommend you do it?
I agree with Lozzo on this one. I tried normal road pressures on my 1st trackday, thought the bike was a bit skittish, came in, took a few psi out & found it a lot more capable
In my experience they don't - they simply advise you to check your tyre pressures.

I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea to lower your tyre pressues - I generally run 28 front and 29 rear on my track bike - but that for your first outing, you want to concentrate more on being relaxed and enjoying it than worrying about whether your tyre pressures have been lowered a PSI or 2. Especially when it is effing cold as it invariably will be in February.

My advice assumes that your tyre pressures are set correctly for the road and that time has been spent with the supension. Most people dont even bother setting the sag correctly. As you improve, by all means change tyre pressures and suspension settings but IMO doing it before you've even been out on track and found out what your bike rides like is as pointless as buying slicks for your first track day.
Old 17-12-08, 04:48 PM   #14
minifun

I started my first track day with road pressures but had to lower them after about 2 sessions as it didn't feel right!

I run 30psi front and rear on my track bike!
Old 17-12-08, 06:04 PM   #15
Lozzo

Quote:
In February? On your first track day? I'm sorry but that really is poor advice.
I did my first trackday of 2008 in February at Oulton on a CBR600 I'd never ridden more than 20 feet on. I ran tyre pressures recommended to me by the tyre guy there, 29 rear and 31 front. the bike handled perfectly and the tyres were getting extremely hot.

Because it was my first trackday in ages and I was on a strange bike I went out in Novice group.

I'd be interested to know how many trackdays you've done. For the record I did 10 this past year and a fair few before that, but I spanner for a couple of trackday instructors and attend maybe 25 to 30 a year helping them, as well as attending numerous race meetings as a mechanic when my mate Danny races. I don't think I'm giving poor advice, I think it's based on fact and 5 years experience of doing trackdays.

Last edited by Lozzo; 17-12-08 at 06:10 PM.
Old 17-12-08, 06:29 PM   #16
G
Mega Poster

I did my first trackday on the standard dunlops, they were more than adequate, but then it was a 'relatively' warm day so they got hot and gripped well.

Never had a problem with noise with either of my bikes at the track I have been to so far....some tracks like cadwell are strict with noise, last time I went in the car they tested every car and issued stickers, no sticker = not going on the track, its the main reason I have not been on the bike yet.

I would personally wait until until the weather warms up to do you first track day, I have done 1 damp trackday and it was not even cold......it wasnt any fun at all....for me at least.

Out of the 3 different companies I have used upto now, I rate them in this order;

No Limits - by far the best, will probably only use these in the future
Hottrax - are 'okish
Focused Events - Rubbish
Old 17-12-08, 06:32 PM   #17
phuk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
I did my first trackday of 2008 in February at Oulton on a CBR600 I'd never ridden more than 20 feet on. I ran tyre pressures recommended to me by the tyre guy there, 29 rear and 31 front. the bike handled perfectly and the tyres were getting extremely hot.

Because it was my first trackday in ages and I was on a strange bike I went out in Novice group.

I'd be interested to know how many trackdays you've done. For the record I did 10 this past year and a fair few before that, but I spanner for a couple of trackday instructors and attend maybe 25 to 30 a year helping them, as well as attending numerous race meetings as a mechanic when my mate Danny races. I don't think I'm giving poor advice, I think it's based on fact and 5 years experience of doing trackdays.
Oooh, a willy waving reply. I've done blah blah.

If I refer you to the OP, he doesn't even know what tyres he has got on his bike (no offence mate) so the very last thing he wants to be worrying about is changing anything from his road settings for his very first outing in cold conditions.

I don't doubt for a second that you were advised to reduce your pressures and,whereas that may have been completely correctfor that particulartime, that advice isn't generic and doesn't apply to everyone.

I'd also guess that the CBR you rode had fast road / track orientated rubber as opposed to OEM tyres on a 650 which makes a huge difference to what pressures you run. Also, the extra 30 or so bhp generated by the CBR makes a huge difference to how tyres respond and warm up.
Old 17-12-08, 06:37 PM   #18
Mike2165

I did my 1st track day this year. Have fun enjoy it, if everyone is going past (like they did with me) it doesn't matter. As long as you get round in one piece and have done what You want to do then it's a great day.
Old 17-12-08, 06:40 PM   #19
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Stuff

I think your wrong and argueing with the wrong people.

Track speeds are constant, much more friction takes place and tyres heat up considerably more than with road use.

If you leave your tyres at road pressure at anytime of the year then you will come off the track with tyres at 50+psi once they have done a couple of laps.

The point of lowering tyre pressure is also to create a larger surface area of rubber touching the tarmac, giving more grip and more heat......after a coulple of laps your not far off road pressures anyway.....and THAT is the point.

Ask ANY tyre manufacturer or trackside tyre mechanic and they will all tell you the same.
Old 17-12-08, 06:51 PM   #20
phuk72

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I think your wrong and argueing with the wrong people.

Track speeds are constant, much more friction takes place and tyres heat up considerably more than with road use.

If you leave your tyres at road pressure at anytime of the year then you will come off the track with tyres at 50+psi once they have done a couple of laps.

The point of lowering tyre pressure is also to create a larger surface area of rubber touching the tarmac, giving more grip and more heat......after a coulple of laps your not far off road pressures anyway.....and THAT is the point.

Ask ANY tyre manufacturer or trackside tyre mechanic and they will all tell you the same.
I'm not arguing. And I'm certainly not arguing with the 'wrong person'

If you read my posts I am trying to suggest that blanket advice may not be appropriate (for all you know he runs 30 / 30 on the road!) and that he should not worry about changing tyre pressures until he has been out on track. Then he can start tinkering.