SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 17-05-06, 09:31 PM   #11
Iansv

Great writeup Alex, I'm very jealous
Old 18-05-06, 06:59 AM   #12
Tim in Belgium

Good story and very inspiring, this gives me the get up and go to get out there for a few days on the sv.

I like the way you mention both the highs and lows (being mainly physical in the buttock region from what I can gather).
Old 18-05-06, 07:44 AM   #13
Skip
Mega Poster

Fantastic write up and great pictures too! What a great idea to ride one way and get a ferry back too! Makes me want to start planning another Europe trip...
Old 18-05-06, 07:48 AM   #14
Mr Toad

Excellent Post
How did you find that helmet - I'm thinking of getting one
Old 18-05-06, 09:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
Excellent Post
How did you find that helmet - I'm thinking of getting one
The roof is an excellent helmet, i cant quibble, althogh ear plugs are essential still for any length of riding, of and i have had the front vent break on me, but its over 2 yrs old now so ho hum.. a lot of money though, i only go tmine becaus eit was an insurance item from an accident i was a 3rd party in,

Quote:
Good story and very inspiring, this gives me the get up and go to get out there for a few days on the sv.

I like the way you mention both the highs and lows (being mainly physical in the buttock region from what I can gather).
Yes the lows were painful lows. but i had expected it as the sv has been a little small for me since... well forever really.

Quote:
Great trip Sorry about the pain in the *rse tho. Did oy have an OE seat or a gel seat?
I had a standard OE seat. the issue is for me the edges of the seat so i dont think a gel seat would have helped, i had one on my first sv and it was good, but not that great
Old 18-05-06, 01:37 PM   #16
Anonymous

Wow! And i thought my trip last year was special!

You've certainly shamed me Alex.. good man! That looks fantastic, photos are brilliant but i can imagine what you mean about those mountains, being bigger and more awe inspiring than the photos say.

Looks like you had an absolutely fantastic time buddy! Cant wait to get my license back so i can do it again.

How was the unfaired SV for touring on? Did you find the windblast got your neck aching at all? Only asking as im trying to think of what bike to get when i get license back.

Im not jealous of your trip... not one bit... well, perhaps a little.

OK ok.. im VERY jealous! Kitten said you were in spain but i thoght she meant you'd flown out there. Didnt know you'd planned to do this!

Old 20-05-06, 08:00 PM   #17
amarko5

nice trip Alex great photomontage as well

I am looking to do a similar trip next year hopefully
Old 20-05-06, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown

How was the unfaired SV for touring on? Did you find the windblast got your neck aching at all? Only asking as im trying to think of what bike to get when i get license back.
The bike itself was no problem, im 6ft and the mini screen fitted lifts the wind over your head, i suffer from wide shoulders and it did effect my left one as i have damaged the ligaments yrs ago, so it became a little tired, but onl ong motorways you can just rest your arm for a bit,

My naked seems to be geared a little high, so cruising at 80 puts it at about 6k rpm, the sweet spot, so its a: very easy to go a bit to quick as you find your self edging 90 no worries, and B; dips the fuel economy but i still managed 50mpg on a recently serviced engine,

im selling it now if you want to buy it and stand it in your garage polishing it for a few months?

Quote:
nice trip Alex great photomontage as well

I am looking to do a similar trip next year hopefully
Thanks, im really pleased with the clarity of the pics too not quite amarko quality but, afterall its a a little fuji 4.1 mpixel camera and was verging on the cheap side and operated by me, and cameras dont usually like me!

as for the trip, all i can say is dont just plan too, do it, if there is one thing the trip has taught me its to get out more, the world is such a beautiful place and there is sooo much to see, the next trip i want to do i hope will take me though france to germany back through switzerland and back up through the pyreneees and maybee home via santender again? but i want to take about 2 weeks if not more and ill need a more capable bike, like a tdm or a vfr or something simmillar, but thats a lot o cash, so i might have to start with the lottery, or keep it as an aim by "x" yrs time?

It already seems like a lifetime ago,
ho hum
Alex