SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-01-05, 10:40 PM   #11
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner
Believe me, after your first trip to A&E on a back board with your clothes sliced off you'll calm down.
I'll second that.
Old 18-01-05, 10:44 PM   #12
Gforceuk

getting married in july and i cant see that having any effect on biking. Off to test ride a vfr800 on saturday... and she hasnt put a stop to it yet
Old 18-01-05, 11:11 PM   #13
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner
Someone once said there are two types of biker, those that have fallen off and those that will fall off.
Being one of the former I take it really easy in traffic, still quicker than a cage but not taking stupid risks if I can help it.

Believe me, after your first trip to A&E on a back board with your clothes sliced off you'll calm down. Although 6 months after that I bought my first gixer
I've been lucky so far, no serious injuries.
I have been for a little unplanned sliding, though, so calmed down alot then.
Now I tend to only grab gaps at relatively low speeds, I leave the high speed braking from 60 to the front of the lights for the nutters on rat bikes.
Old 18-01-05, 11:24 PM   #14
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforceuk
getting married in july and i cant see that having any effect on biking. Off to test ride a vfr800 on saturday... and she hasnt put a stop to it yet
thing is your thinking about a VFR800, that makes you slightly more sensible than your average nutter on a bike... You'll be joining the IAM next!!!

I think once biking is in the blood its incurable, just enjoy it, but most of all stay safe to enjoy it another day!!!

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-05, 11:36 PM   #15
caines

That is what im worried about! going to a & e with my clothes sliced off. I have had 2 offs in my biking career, nothing too serious though and again the weeks after I drove so slow but once my confidence was back I was back to my oldself again.

I dont commute on my bike, really I just ride for fun although I do ride it alot, here there and everywhere. I think im too immature still really, im too willing to take risks and race people! I race 400cc karts so Ive got this track mentality which is just engraved into my mind and although I dont drive in this way all the time, certain things can trigger it off! Suddenly everything looks like an apex!

I sound like im losing my nerve but to be honest its the opposite, Im getting more and more confident and the scariest thing is that riding a bike fast doesnt scare me at all.

Anyway enough of my paranoia lol, im sure I'll come to some arrangement!
Old 18-01-05, 11:36 PM   #16
ophic
Mega Poster

i take my time in traffic - i misjudged a traffic gap one morning and was extremely fortunate the driver was fully awake. How lucky is that - normally drivers are out to kill you, and i get the experience without any of the pain.
Old 18-01-05, 11:38 PM   #17
Carsick

The only time I can think of where I really made an very bad judgement in traffic the car driver basically did everything he could to try and kill me. Was not a happy bunny.
Old 19-01-05, 12:32 PM   #18
Iansv

Love biking, only thing thats gonna stop me is when its phsically not possible for me to ride....

My accident last year has certainly changed the way I ride to a certain extent but mainly i'm just grateful it wasn't worse
Old 19-01-05, 01:39 PM   #19
svpilot

I love biking and only go anywhere by car if I absolutely have to.

But I do worry that I have no self control. Don't get me wrong, I don't ride fast. But when I get home I always think 'sh*t, Iv'e done it again' and ask my self did I really need to squeeze through that gap etc.

And when people moan about the traffic, I want to shake 'em and shout "get a bike! never be stuck in traffic again! you might even like it!"
Old 19-01-05, 01:55 PM   #20
MavUK

I was always (bike and cars) a simple rule of thumb.

If you think it's fast then it's too fast.

Unfortunately on modern bikes, and in modern cars 90mph just doesn't seem fast at all...

Stay safe.

Stu