SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-09-11, 06:29 PM   #11
-Ralph-

Default Re: Is the Prius an acceptable car?

http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01135412138337
Old 23-09-11, 06:32 PM   #12
Specialone

A blue motion diesel polo is more expensive to insure??? Who give you the quote toyotas insurance company by any chance

I've driven the polo, I thought it was a decent car tbh.
Old 23-09-11, 06:32 PM   #13
-Ralph-

I wont go on, you know how to use Autotrader. The only tip I'd give you is search by your requirement and budget, but leave the make and model on the search set to 'any', and age unspecified, then sort by most expensive first, and you'll see the latest model best value cars within your budget, that meet your criteria, right at the top of your list. There will be lots of Vauxhalls and Kia's and stuff like that, but it also means when you get a wee jewel like that Fiat or that Polo (depending on your taste) it stands out as a bargain.
Old 23-09-11, 06:33 PM   #14
Lozzo

I've had a 1.6 Hdi Focus and two 1.4 Hdi Fiesta vans and all of them have been very very good on fuel. I just couldn't buy a Prius - the whole green image is blown out of the water when you look at the damage to the environment caused by building the things in the first place, and what do you think fuels the power station that's making the electricity to charge the batteries. When you're running on petrol you are effectively lugging a huge weight of unused motors and batteries around, so don't be kidding yourself that they are economical.
Old 23-09-11, 06:51 PM   #15
fenjer

Citroen C3. very impressive on fuel, tax and insurance. and drove well in the snow.
Old 23-09-11, 06:58 PM   #16
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Avoid the prius, they use fuel just like a petrol car+ always carrying a very fat mate at all times

You can pick up a HDI C3 for around £9k
There is a good chance of getting a 1.6 tdci focus almost new for that. My old man paid £10.5k for one on a 10 plate with 8 thou on it

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-11, 07:04 PM   #17
ravingdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
A blue motion diesel polo is more expensive to insure??? Who give you the quote toyotas insurance company by any chance

I've driven the polo, I thought it was a decent car tbh.
Lol no. Go compare/compare the meerkat etc. Issurance for me is nothing short of horrific. £1071 for the Prius, £1290 for the polo. Ford focus is closer to £1600. The Prius seems to be the only focus sized car that I can buy that is reasonable to insure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
I've had a 1.6 Hdi Focus and two 1.4 Hdi Fiesta vans and all of them have been very very good on fuel. I just couldn't buy a Prius - the whole green image is blown out of the water when you look at the damage to the environment caused by building the things in the first place, and what do you think fuels the power station that's making the electricity to charge the batteries. When you're running on petrol you are effectively lugging a huge weight of unused motors and batteries around, so don't be kidding yourself that they are economical.
I get your point and agree with it but I don't give a c**p about the green image. All I care about is how much it attacks my wallet as I drive. Besides, the battery in the Prius is charged when you brake and not a powerstation.

Interestingly if you have a look at http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/prius
and http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/polo (I have ignored the petrol ones and looked for the bluemotions)

The real world usage for the Prius and the diesel Polo seems about even.

I like the Polos and hate the image of the Prius but just cant get around the fact that it seems like a decent sized car that all the figures show as cheap to run.

Those fiat 500s are awesome wayyyyyyyyyyy too small. I car share to work quite often so need space for 3 - 4 people in reasonable comfort. I also want to be able to carry a reasonable amount of stuff.

Last edited by ravingdavis; 23-09-11 at 07:06 PM.
Old 23-09-11, 07:22 PM   #18
grimey121uk

Even if a Prius did similar MPG than a decent diesel they are 5 grand more than a more decent diesel.
I had had a Fabia greenline thing as a courtesy car and it was awsome on fuel if I drove like a granny 30seconds to accelerate to 30mph etc however for normal driving my Fabia 1.6tdi with 105bhp will do better mpg.

I must admit though I tried the greenline out at 60mph with cruise control on a 15 mile stretch of the m61 and i got 88mpg average.

The prius is for naive people who think they are saving the planet and saving money but in fact are doing the oposite while driving around in a plastic pile of crap

If you have a budget of 9k to spend on a prius why don't you get a decent diesel for 6k which will be better in every single way and then save 3k for fuel

Last edited by grimey121uk; 23-09-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 23-09-11, 07:33 PM   #19
Tim in Belgium

Man up and buy somethinglike this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3243340.htm

I get 35 mpg+ on dual carriageways, minimal depreciation circa 200bhp depending on manifolds/exhaust, engines go on to 200k+ miles easy.

And you can get for cheaper!! And no loads of nasty batteries to dispose of at the end of its life!
Old 23-09-11, 07:38 PM   #20
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingdavis View Post
I don't give a c**p about the green image. All I care about is how much it attacks my wallet as I drive.
Then why buy a Prius, the only reason you'd by one is because you want to be seen as a tree huggy hippy ( IMHO )

Theres more to it than just economy though, how does the servicing and depreciation compare on the Prius to a normal Diesel car of similar size ( I dont know I'm just asking )

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote