SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-05-14, 08:12 PM   #11
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Halal meat

I thought most halal meat was stunned first anyway. Don't see the problem personally.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 08:20 PM   #12
femaleacid

Default Re: Halal meat

Meat is meat.
Either way you kill it, it's still going to taste fudgin' good.

It's like what was said previously, companies are too frightened now about being 'racist'. Take subway for example *sigh*
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...alal-meat.html
Old 08-05-14, 08:22 PM   #13
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I'm more bothered about how companies bend over backwards to please the minority for fear of racism. That pees me off more than what they are actually doing different. Can't say I'm too fussed about eating halal or normal meat. But replacing ham and bacon with turkey is ridiculous
But isn't this just capitalism at its finest? Subway is a company. They figure, if we cut out bacon/ham and replace turkey in these x number of stores, we'll make more money because there are y number of muslims in said areas.

Similarly, I doubt halal nando's in certain areas are there to 'please the minority for fear of racism'. It's just good business that equates to more profits.
Old 08-05-14, 08:23 PM   #14
thulfi

And the whole humane things is a joke. All these so called 'veggies' that don't eat meat but eat fish. Aren't most fish simply being suffocated to death? Pretty slow and horrid way to die, even if you are just a fish.
Old 08-05-14, 08:26 PM   #15
femaleacid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
And the whole humane things is a joke. All these so called 'veggies' that don't eat meat but eat fish. Aren't most fish simply being suffocated to death? Pretty slow and horrid way to die, even if you are just a fish.
That's so true. Everything is killed to be eaten; plants, animals, fish. People need to just enjoy the stuff and stop ruining good food :'(
Old 08-05-14, 08:32 PM   #16
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
But isn't this just capitalism at its finest? Subway is a company. They figure, if we cut out bacon/ham and replace turkey in these x number of stores, we'll make more money because there are y number of muslims in said areas.

Similarly, I doubt halal nando's in certain areas are there to 'please the minority for fear of racism'. It's just good business that equates to more profits.
Don't you think it would be better to offer halal meat as an alternative, rather than forcing it to anyone who buys it? That would make the most business sense.

What if every high street food place goes down this route and do away with bacon and ham? Bacon and ham are tasty
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 08:34 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

TBH i would rather eat Halal meat than most of the crap they sell in supermarkets that are pumped full of god knows what.

true Halal meat is not just about how its dispatched but also includes how the animal is raised which should be as organic/free range as possible.

i wonder how many orgers have actually dispatched an animal for their own consumption or even for mercy purposes. i know i have.

catch it, kill it, cook it, eat it. yum yum.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 08:48 PM   #18
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Halal meat

Stunning the animals can ruin the meat, the animals release chemicals due to the shock. In theory to kill by slitting the throat is less stressful.

As a technical Muslim (by birth not choice, I will eat pretty much anything regardless of how it's killed, including tasty tasty bacon) I can see the benefits.

Personally having seen first hand the effect or lack thereof of a bolt gun and neck breaker on a cow, I'd rather they be executed in a quick clean action by a properly trained individual. Plus the other part of it is to ensure all the blood drains, which again carries impurities which can leech in to the meat.

I get why a store would swap out its stock in certain areas from a business perspective, but to carry 2 lines of produce that spoil on the off chance either buyer will purchase is bad business sense.
Old 08-05-14, 08:49 PM   #19
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
TBH i would rather eat Halal meat than most of the crap they sell in supermarkets that are pumped full of god knows what.

true Halal meat is not just about how its dispatched but also includes how the animal is raised which should be as organic/free range as possible.

i wonder how many orgers have actually dispatched an animal for their own consumption or even for mercy purposes. i know i have.

catch it, kill it, cook it, eat it. yum yum.
+1

I have killed my own too, killing a full grown pig with a knife is quite the ordeal though, they make a seriously haunting squeal when they know what's coming....bloody tasty freshly butchered and cooked on the same day though! Wild boar is even better!!

As touched on before as an important point this particular animal had a great outdoor life living and rummaging in tropical forest (and one opportunity to ransack the local village root veggies) before it's time came...and not a single bit of it was wasted. Hot stone fried heart and lung was eaten by all involved whilst the rest was cooked in an earth oven.

I think anyone who can't kill an animal for food ought not to eat them.....

Triumph and Suzuki owner

Last edited by kaivalagi; 08-05-14 at 08:55 PM.
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-14, 08:50 PM   #20
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

I have too when I was younger. Fish, pig, chicken, pheasant, pigeon, rabbit. I taught my nephews how to joint a rabbit last year as they wanted to learn. Grow up on a farm and you learn to do all that. I've seen chicken processing plants and abbatoirs and battery sheds for hens producing eggs and none of it is pleasant but most people don't care as long as their meat is cheap. America is worse than us.

Last edited by Littlepeahead; 08-05-14 at 08:52 PM.
Littlepeahead is offline   Reply With Quote