SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-09-06, 12:14 PM   #11
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna
where did that "this thread is useless without pics" sign go?????????
Here it is

Thanks Jabba...

so come on all this talk of kilts...... we want to see pics of them
Would post a great one from my wedding (loads of blokes in kilts) but my webserver is down so I have nowhere to post it

Will post it after I reboot my router tonight :P

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 12:14 PM   #12
Peter Henry

Northy I do pray that you dont end up a snivveling wreck in the corner of the main room somewhere? Crying in to your pint before dashing foward and at the top of yer voice singing out..

It should have been me

Oh oh It should have been meeeee

You prob even dont know that song? was song by some rather fullsome black momma's in the err 80's I think!
Old 05-09-06, 12:32 PM   #13
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles
Go on you bike,then you have the perfect excuse to wear leathers.Anything to save having to buy a new suit and spend hard earned dosh on something you don't want.
For the same reason,if that is just not on,wear the kilt which is already in your wardrobe.Who could possibly object to a kilt in Scotland?
My Glaswegian mate, Alan, who hates it when people wear kilts. In his own words "Faein' attention-seeking tarts. Probably nae e'en proper faein' Scottish, likes, y'ken?"

It's up to you if you wear it, but most people I know (down South at least) think it's a bit gimmicky and not really formal enough for weddings, etc. I've even had someone (perhaps insensitively) call it, "Fancy dress for Jocks."

NB (before I get flamed): The above is what my friends think. My stepbrother is half-Scottish and if he wanted to wear a kilt, I'd not take the Michael.
Old 05-09-06, 01:06 PM   #14
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
It's up to you if you wear it, but most people I know (down South at least) think it's a bit gimmicky and not really formal enough for weddings, etc. I've even had someone (perhaps insensitively) call it, "Fancy dress for Jocks."
Aye, I can see that. But this one's in Edinburgh Half the guys'll be in the kilt. I prefer it to suits, I always feel like I'm going to the school photo... Don't like the fancy dress aspect, though. The shoelaces! What were they thinking?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 02:19 PM   #15
chazzyb

From what I understand, the fancy dress (shortbread tin - good one) was a Victorian invention; a romanticised vision of the Scot. Ok, footwear: why not do a medieval Scot and go in bare feet - dirty toenails too, or as a concession, a pair of dead furry animals. Beavers would be good.
Old 05-09-06, 02:37 PM   #16
Cronos

I think you've got two choices.

Firstly wear the whole formal Prince Charlie outfit. I agree it's a bit cheesey, but it's always going to be appropriate for the occassion. If you want to make it a bit more classy make sure you wear a good formal shirt and a real bow tie (not one of those horrible clip on thingies). If you're out and about in toon afterwards then I guarantee you'll have cracking night. Remember Edinburgh is one of the Hen Night hot spots and there's noting the ladieeeeees like more than a man in a kilt. You'll certainly have no problem getting in anywhere.

The other option is to go for the plain single breasted black suit, pseudo rat pack look. It's just understated and comfortable. You may need to get your hair trimmed mind if you want the full Dean Martin look!

Kilts and boots at a wedding... a big no no!
Old 05-09-06, 03:18 PM   #17
anna
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Pics? There will be no pics.
spoilsport
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 03:23 PM   #18
Anonymous

i like the kilt with cat boots and the black shirt that sort of has laces up the front. but dont know if its smart enough for a wedding, but then its only the evening do your going to so whatever.
Old 05-09-06, 03:37 PM   #19
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty tart
i like the kilt with cat boots and the black shirt that sort of has laces up the front. but dont know if its smart enough for a wedding, but then its only the evening do your going to so whatever.
Thats what I usually wear for non-formal kilt-wearing occasions - actually thinking about it, if I remember rightly I got out of the Prince Charlie rig and into that set up at MY wedding after the meal (actually I think it was a green shirt and the normal kilt boots - I cant remember HALF of that day, and its nothing to do with us all getting back to the hotel from the pub and me ending up in a room with 2 girls, a bottle of wine and a plate of Cheese sandwiches.........)

David

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 03:41 PM   #20
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty tart
Thats what I usually wear for non-formal kilt-wearing occasions - actually thinking about it, if I remember rightly I got out of the Prince Charlie rig and into that set up at MY wedding after the meal (actually I think it was a green shirt and the normal kilt boots - I cant remember HALF of that day, and its nothing to do with us all getting back to the hotel from the pub and me ending up in a room with 2 girls, a bottle of wine and a plate of Cheese sandwiches.........)

David
on your wedding day? are you still married?