SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-12-12, 11:40 PM   #11
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sports Personality of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
Impressed by what BW achieved (tho the TdF is a team sport) but he's not a worthy winner in terms of his behaviour.
Jessica should have won in my opinion.
what's wrong with his behaviour?! to me he's seemed like one the most down to earth people possible, given the drive and sheer bloody mindedness that's needed to achieve what he has achieved! plus i get the impression that his personality is a bit 'out there' but to me at least he seems like a normal kind of guy!

i don't disagree with you about jess ennis, except that BW deserved to and rightly won it.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-12, 10:37 AM   #12
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Personally I think Jessica Ennis should've won as its a bloody hard sport that she does and having to beat others at seven different events, that takes some dedication and effort.

But wiggins winning isnt a bad decision either, he's a worthy winner too.
Think Bradley's dedication and effort is as equal if not greater than Jessica's, this years TDF prep started in November 2011, his season starts in March and usually finishes in October, although he finished. So he had about a month off before preparing for the TDF.

He's already started his prep for 2013

Quote:
Impressed by what BW achieved (tho the TdF is a team sport) but he's not a worthy winner in terms of his behaviour.
Jessica should have won in my opinion.
Its also about his personality, I didn't think he did anything wrong, and we hadn't seen much of JE since her win. On stage his antic's during his interview with Sue Barker were much more fun than some of the others.

Sure he's a bit of a rough diamond sometimes & uses's swear words from time to time, but he's just a normal bloke, who's very good at riding his bike
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-12, 10:59 AM   #13
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Its Sports Personality of the Year

Not best Sportsman / Woman of the Year.

If its one thing Bradley has is character and a personality, hes certainly not bland and boring like some of the other sports people are.

The public have taken to him in a big way otherwise he wouldnt have got all the votes he did...

I think Jess would have been a worthy winner as well though...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-12, 12:10 PM   #14
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Jess will win Rear of the Year no doubt.
Old 19-12-12, 02:34 PM   #15
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
what's wrong with his behaviour?
when he got knocked off his bike the other day his wife seemed to threaten the lady who knocked him off (sure, not his fault) and then when he left hospital he gave the finger to journalists (I'm no fan of paparazzi but it was unnecessary and not really giving a good impression).
Old 19-12-12, 02:37 PM   #16
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Its Sports Personality of the Year

Not best Sportsman / Woman of the Year.
He might have a personality but to me it's not one to be admired. JE seems to be considerably more dignified as well as archiving things by herself.
Old 19-12-12, 05:32 PM   #17
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

This is one thing I always question. Who decided that sports people have to be role models? Who says that just because you are good at cycling, running, kicking a ball or bowling 10 wickets that you need to be an angel, free of sin, never cheat on your wife, be nice to puppies, not swear, never show anger?

Now I think that every human being should show respect, be polite and live without causing harm and suffering to others, but it seems to me that we expect our sports men and women to somehow set an example to everyone else and I'm not sure why?

And don't say 'Because they get paid a lot' because not all of them do, and even those that do earn handsomely get that money for being exceptionally talented at their chosen sport, which has nothing to do with their personality. They aren't paid to be nice.
Old 19-12-12, 05:35 PM   #18
missyburd

Quote:
when he got knocked off his bike the other day his wife seemed to threaten the lady who knocked him off (sure, not his fault) and then when he left hospital he gave the finger to journalists (I'm no fan of paparazzi but it was unnecessary and not really giving a good impression).
To be fair, it wouldn't take much for me to flip the bird at the paparazzi too, following you around and giving you no peace after an accident.
Old 19-12-12, 05:52 PM   #19
SuzukiNess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
This is one thing I always question. Who decided that sports people have to be role models? Who says that just because you are good at cycling, running, kicking a ball or bowling 10 wickets that you need to be an angel, free of sin, never cheat on your wife, be nice to puppies, not swear, never show anger?

Now I think that every human being should show respect, be polite and live without causing harm and suffering to others, but it seems to me that we expect our sports men and women to somehow set an example to everyone else and I'm not sure why?

And don't say 'Because they get paid a lot' because not all of them do, and even those that do earn handsomely get that money for being exceptionally talented at their chosen sport, which has nothing to do with their personality. They aren't paid to be nice.

well said, totally agree xx
Old 19-12-12, 07:48 PM   #20
Amadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
This is one thing I always question. Who decided that sports people have to be role models?
I think that any leader (whether that be elected, by blood (e.g. parents), pop star, celebrity or sports person) should give a good example to those they're influencing. It's what makes society (IMO, yours may differ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyburd View Post
To be fair, it wouldn't take much for me to flip the bird at the paparazzi too, following you around and giving you no peace after an accident.
As I said, I'm certainly no fan of the paparazzi, but as I understand it, they were outside the hospital, not rifling through his bins or anything. He had become a celebrity and a wave or grimace to show that he was ok would have been a more balanced reaction and hardly a burden.

People in the public eye, whether they like it or not, influence others. I understand what you're saying - they didn't ask for that responsibility (for some people such as Curt Cobain, it was too much to bear - an incredibly sad case); under really trying circumstances human nature says that a reaction isn't always measured but I feel that one should make an effort to be at least a little stoical.