SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-12, 02:44 PM   #11
metalmonkey

Default Re: I miss my SV and I miss Biking and I miss London! :(

I almost did that a few years ago, never did make it to China I got a job in the UK so stayed here.

Do you make enough money to live off? What are the living conditions like out there? Unless I can make a living here, I'm giving some serious though to working or at least travelling. There is very little work wise going on here, people don't even return phone calls or emails which is just rude.
Old 21-12-12, 01:36 AM   #12
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmonkey View Post
I almost did that a few years ago, never did make it to China I got a job in the UK so stayed here.

Do you make enough money to live off? What are the living conditions like out there? Unless I can make a living here, I'm giving some serious though to working or at least travelling. There is very little work wise going on here, people don't even return phone calls or emails which is just rude.
Yes, after having no luck with jobs at home I started to apply to jobs overseas. The first job I applied to here in China, I got the job offer within a 2 weeks after two interviews (over skype).

Q: Do I make enough money to live off?
A: Yes. In fact, a hell of a lot of money (compared to the Chinese teachers). Here, my salary converts to around £18k p/a, which is higher than the average graduate gets, but still not high enough to live comfortably in London with your wife.

Just to reiterate, £18,000 per year, is a very very good salary here in Beijing where almost everything (for us foreigners) is extremely cheap. Rent is Cheap, groceries are cheap, travelling around is cheap.

I'm the kind of person to save a lot of money, so I imagine I'll have quite a bit saved up by the end of the year.

Q: What are living conditions like?
A: One thing I was very worried about before arriving in Beijing, is what apartment the company would put us in and how the toilet would be... You know, didn't want any of that hole in the floor business.

To my surprise, the apartment is great, very clean, very modern, quite spacious and the shower here, is the nicest shower I've had, ever . So compared to where I was living in Edgware, London before moving, I rate this place much higher.

Yes, applying to jobs and never hearing back was a pain in the Ar** in the London. I'm not defending the employer, but that's what happens when you have thousands of new and old graduates all applying for the same position.. the employer doesn't have time to reply to everyone .

Anyway, if you would seriously consider moving abroad for a job and would consider China an option, let me know. I can forward your details to the foreign teacher manager and speed up the process of your employment.

By the way, the company I work for is called 'RISE. Immersion Subject English'.
Old 21-12-12, 07:15 PM   #13
Mega Poster

Dude, get a year under your belt and then go teach English privately in Japan or South Korea, you'll earn so much goddamn money you'll be able to buy 100's of SV's when you get back! And the culture is the polar opposite in those countries as well
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-12, 10:48 PM   #14
musne

Haha yes, I'm looking to get the first year done and we'll see what happens after.

I keep telling myself not to complain too much because as bad as the country is (in my opinion) it's a good first job, with few hours and good pay (as a 1st job for a fresh graduate).

Old 22-12-12, 12:27 PM   #15
Mega Poster

I'm sure you'll grow to love the country, shell shock takes a while to disappear...every place has it's coolness and ****ness, I definitely think you should look into Japan/Korea though, they both require an individual to have a none specific degree (at the moment, that's changing soon though!) and check them out. I had all this in a big plan of mine but I became really ill a few years back which scuppered it all. Go live my dream for me!
Old 22-12-12, 12:38 PM   #16
musne

Ah, sorry to hear that buddy. But you know, it's never too late for you!

I'm sure I will grow to like this place a bit more, especially in the spring/summer. I will definitely look into Japan and Korea . In any case I will leave myself open to any decent opportunity otherwise I'll just remain unemployed
Old 22-12-12, 05:34 PM   #17
Mega Poster

I know what you mean about missing London though, it's familiarity that's the biggest thing that is missed when you're away from home. But then weigh it up against super expensive rent combined with not that amazing pay, rude people, over population, terrible public transport systems...crime rates...I could go on, it's ace but definitely not at the same time.
Old 22-12-12, 07:05 PM   #18
instigator

I went to Beijing 7 or 8 times last years, spending about 3 months there in total. I loved the place albeit I was travelling on business thus had hotel comforts. I just found the place to be truly fascinating, sure... we interpret the people to be very rude but that's the way their cities are. Most cities are that way! I just never had a dull moment there, always something different to see and be surprised of.

I was supposed to move there permanently but it all fell through

If you like Chinese ladies, they tend to latch onto westerners quite easily.

P.S all that being said, I can relate to your 'home sickness'. Its not nice at all when you get it
Old 22-12-12, 10:26 PM   #19
rictus01
Mega Poster

Never been to China proper myself, the nearest was a spell in Hong kong, but having ridden bike in many other countries and cities, there's nothing quite like the thrill of London, we all moan to one degree or another, but I'd rather be nowhere else.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-12, 11:06 PM   #20
keith_d
Mega Poster

I think that saying, "they don't know any better" isn't entirely fair. Each culture has it's own expectations for manners and behaviour. Within that culture they usually work well because everyone expects the same, but they can seem a little odd for outsiders.

I work with some Japanese guys and their rules for 'proper' behaviour are completely different to ours. To them we must seem terribly rude, because they have a more structured society with lots of (for me) strange rules.

It's that old saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote