SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-06, 11:40 AM   #11
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe
Just wondering, i live on top of a hill and was thinking of doing a bump start. Will this work with one working ignition coil?(no spark out of the other) Its going to be one hell of a push back up.
bump starting your bike down the hill?

will probably suceed-------in getting the bike to the bottom of the hill

whilst all that bouncing about may shake up a bad connection, it's not an orthodox fixing method

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe
Also, does the ignition coil control some of the electrics? My left side inicators are not working, change the bulbs, still not working.
No, not unless you have some seriously funky wiring going on there

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-06, 11:44 AM   #12
Tris

Hi mate

Under the seat next to the fuses is a relay, which works the indicators.

Haynes tells you how to check it. Might have been sh$%&d by your regulator problem. If you havn't got a haynes manual let me know and I e-mail you a scanned sheet from mine

Tris
Old 24-04-06, 12:41 PM   #13
doe

I won't risk the bump start. Don't think i have the energy to push back up. If it doesn't rain tonight i will swap the coils round. Look like i will have the whole bike in pieces b4 i find the problem.

Tris - i have sent u a PM.

Thanks
Old 24-04-06, 07:13 PM   #14
doe

Had a look at my lighting again and the bulbs were all blown. Not sure what i was testing before. i have now replaced 5 blown bulbs and its working ok. Tomorrow will be the battle of the ignition coil. Hopefully, its just the coil, if not, CDI next
Old 24-04-06, 07:17 PM   #15
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

As you had a reg/rec problem it's possible an overvoltage has popped bulbs, hopefully it hasn't taken anything dearer with it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-06, 06:12 AM   #16
Tris

Doe Mate

I got my hands on the replacement CDI and she fired up first press of the button.

It was the only thing on the bike I couldn't test!

Hope you're making progress and yours is working soon

Tris
Old 27-04-06, 12:03 PM   #17
doe

Hi Tris,

Good to hear u got yours going again. I am picking up a new coil today as there is no spark from one. I am already trying to source for a CDI unit just in case. What's the best way of reaching the CDI unit? Hope to get mine working by saturday.

Doe
Old 27-04-06, 12:17 PM   #18
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe
Hi Tris,

Good to hear u got yours going again. I am picking up a new coil today as there is no spark from one. I am already trying to source for a CDI unit just in case. What's the best way of reaching the CDI unit? Hope to get mine working by saturday.

Doe
Your CDI (OK electronic ignition then) is under the pillion seat, black box, about fag packet sized with two plastic tabs to screw it down. I think Tris had my last but I'll have a look Friday afternoon if you don't have any luck (had three or four but think I'v got rid of most now)?

Friday evening I'm going upto Royston, if you need it and if I've got another, and if you're not to far away, the possibility exsists I maybe able to drop it off ?

PM me you number and I'll give you a call probably 5 ish Friday if you're interested and can't get one from another source.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 27-04-06, 12:33 PM   #19
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
I got my hands on the replacement CDI and she fired up first press of the button.
-[pedant on]-

No you didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Previously
The SV ignition system isn't CDI, it's a conventional earth switched transistorised system - you can always tell as with a CDI the coil + aren't at battery voltage, in a CDI system the coil + is connected only to the ignition unit and not to the 12V supply.
-[pedant off]-

Click me for an explanation.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-06, 12:54 PM   #20
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Previously
The SV ignition system isn't CDI, it's a conventional earth switched transistorised system - you can always tell as with a CDI the coil + aren't at battery voltage, in a CDI system the coil + is connected only to the ignition unit and not to the 12V supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
Your CDI (OK electronic ignition then)
Said that, but I used less words, and they'll still call it a CDI UNIT.

Cheers Mark.