SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-09, 03:44 PM   #11
shakie1973

Default Re: Had a scare this morning.......

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, and advice. I was doing about 120mph on this "private road" i dont think i was holding on to tight, or putting to much weight on the front............but i could have been. The front tyre is fine, but i will check the pressure. I know the back tyre is on the tread marker, i had planned on getting this changed in the next 2 or 3 weeks Is there anything else i need to check on the tyre? also, how and what do i check for on the bearings. ...sorry for the noobness

I think i will keep it steady on the ride in tonight.....dont fancy that again anytime soon, it really did give me a bit of a scare, and all happened that bluddy quick, just glad it settled down more or less soon as i shut it off.

cheers again guys
Old 20-04-09, 04:52 PM   #12
philbut

Default Re: Had a scare this morning.......

To check the head bearings you need to raise the front of the bike off the ground - I'd put the rear on a paddock stand or ABBA stand and then use a trolley jack to raise it under the engine (you might need to remove your lowers). slowly move the steering from side to side and feel for any notch or rough movement. Pay particular attention when passing through the centre as this is where you will get damage if it'd been wheelied. if you feel any uneven movement or notches then the bearings need replacing.

The stearing should be free to fall from centre to full lock in both direction with a small tap on the bar (ie you don't want it too tight). If it feels tight, you can loosen the bearing - a tight bearing will ware out faster. Remember that cables etc can also affect this dependign on how they have been routed.

If that is OK, grab the bottom of the forks and try and move them back and fourth. Any play can indicate a loose or worn out head race.