SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 17-09-11, 06:42 PM   #11
Airwolf

Default Re: How Hard Is It To Navigate Central London?

i must say i uses to use sat nav, in all of that area, as long as you get a desent one, i had tomtom 530. you will be ok. some of the cheaper satnavs have the cheaper gps chip, which can lose signal easy.
Old 17-09-11, 06:55 PM   #12
rictus01
Mega Poster

I have a satnav fitted to the bike these days and must admit some of it's routing is "creative" shall we say, but it's very rarely lost signal anywhere, for ref I use a Navman S90i with the 2009 database.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-11, 11:04 PM   #13
Seggons

I've got a TomTom Rider V2 and my brother (who I work with) has one of the newer TomTom's. Worked really well for us so far, I just more concerned about 1 way streets. If the outskirt of London is anything to go by they like their cameras. I also had an incident in Essex where the TomTom couldn't get me where I wanted to be because it had a 1 way street mapped the wrong way round, but some random guess work sorted that out.

When we first start we'll be working at this sort of time so we don't have too much traffic to deal with. Driving in London is alright when the moron drivers are tucked up.
Old 18-09-11, 01:47 AM   #14
monkey

With a big motor like yours I'd take the first few visits really easy and think of it as a learning curve.

With regards to timing, depending on where you go there can be mental traffic at all hours so don't take it for granted.

It can be a right hoot once you've got into the gist of things.
Old 18-09-11, 06:26 PM   #15
Seggons

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
With a big motor like yours I'd take the first few visits really easy and think of it as a learning curve.

With regards to timing, depending on where you go there can be mental traffic at all hours so don't take it for granted.

It can be a right hoot once you've got into the gist of things.
To be honest I much prefer to go round London in the transit than my car. If they want to play ball I'm sure they are going to be more worried about their car than I am about putting another scratch on the work van.

Traffic is something I don't like but I'm sure after a few visits we will work out what the best time is to hit each area.

Your right about rush hour being a hoot. I know on the outskirts at least it is every person for themselves.
Old 18-09-11, 06:51 PM   #16
sorebutt

one extra tip, due to the way satnav's lock you will find they lock on a lot quicker if they are stationary. So if you lose lock or have had it switched off then (as was said before) find an open space, but stop rather than drie around.
Old 18-09-11, 07:05 PM   #17
Seggons

So if I turn it on outside Buckingham Palace I need to stop in the road and wait right? If armed police start pointing their guns at me I'll just say that Sorebutt said my satnav will lock quicker if I'm stationary. I'm sure they will see no issue with that reason.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 21-09-11, 04:40 PM   #18
sorebutt

You'll be ok if your bike has a health and safety approved warning device which should say "Stand well clear, satnav initialisation in progress"