SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-07, 02:22 PM   #11
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crash Protectors

From my personal experience, crash bungs are only good for slow speed offs...
I have two experiences of them, one good, one bad:

Good:
I'd left my bike on a sloped driveway and forgotten to leave the bike in gear - came back outside to find that my bike had slid down the hill, over a kerb and topped over onto its side. Luckily the fairing wasn't touched due to the crash bobbins, although a few other bits (like the exhaust) still got scratched. But still... I was glad that the fairing wasn't touched!

Bad:
I went on a track-day and came off at high speed (~100mph) on wet grass and the bike slid along one side.
Obviously the peg got ripped off, and the fairing (lower and front) were both cracked in a few places, but the most damage was done to the crash bobbin being forced upwards through the fairing, and this in turn pushed against the radiator, which bent it!

So to summarise, if you don't intend on coming off fast, they're great!
If you're going to do track-days, don't bother!
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 02:33 PM   #12
northwind
Mega Poster

What sort of bung was that? That sort of secondary damage isn't typical, a badly designed bung can cause a lot of damage but a good one normally won't. No two crashes are the same, of course, but I managed to chuck mine along knockhill at around 70-80mph, along the track and into the gravel, and the bung didn't just survive but kept the bike almost rideable- a new front brake lever was all it took, I could've rejoined the same session if I'd not been bricking it The bung bent but didn't break.

It does depend on your definition of "low speed" of course, but I've had, um, 3 crashes between 30 and 50 where crash bungs have almost certainly made a difference, and only one when I don't think they helped much at all. And that big one at Knockhill where I think they made a massive difference, of course
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 04:36 PM   #13
SDMF

Motosliders are prety good- saved my bike on a few occasions...
They come from america, so if you order them when the pounds strong against the dollar there not that expensive either.
hth
Old 10-07-07, 05:03 PM   #14
Steve_God
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
What sort of bung was that? ...[snip]
A very cheap one...
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 05:33 PM   #15
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Motosliders are prety good- saved my bike on a few occasions...
They come from america, so if you order them when the pounds strong against the dollar there not that expensive either.
hth
That's what I use too, they're very good IMO.
Old 10-07-07, 10:09 PM   #16
jamessunhill

I'm thinking about a set of MotoSliders myself.

Just got onto a dealer in the USA and got this reply

James -
We can ship the Motosliders to the U.K. for $39, the sliders are $69.99, so the total cost would be $103.99. You can place the order online at www.SVRaceShop.com, just choose "Other" as the shipping country and it will charge the correct amount for UK shipping.

Thanks,
Jarel

At the current exchange rate, that works out at £51.31. You would have to pay import duty on top of that though.
Old 10-07-07, 11:23 PM   #17
northwind
Mega Poster

Don't buy from them, go straight to Nate, the price will be similiar but SVRS are known thieves... They got very badly caught out selling rebuilt GSXR shocks that in some cases weren't just horribly rebuilt and misspecced, but also outright unsafe... Old trick of making a few very good products (because they do have the skill and knowledge to do a good job) then as soon as you have good word of mouth, dropping the quality on the basis that 9/10 people don't know a bad shock from a good one. Total scumbags.

If anyone's going with Motosliders, by the way, I'm needing some spares so we could maybe combine postage? Alternatively, you could try and find some Motovation ones, they're a direct copy and were cheap in the UK... But Bike Johnny have stopped selling the SV ones it seems.

Last edited by northwind; 10-07-07 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 04:44 PM   #18
SDMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessunhill View Post
You would have to pay import duty on top of that though.
Not necessarily.When I ordered mine last year they came through alright without having to pay import duty.
Old 13-10-07, 10:10 AM   #19
vicks977

mine's got r&g bungs lowsided yesterday and slid for 10-20 yards down a diesel patch, got up picked the bike up...the right side bung is totally destroyed but it protected my full fairing, handlebar and exhaust minor scratches to can ....definitely impressed and recommended
Old 13-10-07, 03:22 PM   #20
Paws

Both times R&G saved my sv from MAJOR damage when shes hit the floor, plastics etc are easy/cheap to repair-frames aren't soo 100% recomend R&G