SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-04-09, 11:34 AM   #11
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone with some cat Knowledge?

Most vets will give a free health check to any new animals that you are registering. If your vet doesn't offer this, phone around and find one that does. Given the situation Mylo came from, I would strongly advise you do this. Do get Mylo Spayed as soon as you can as you don't want the extra expense and responsibility of kittens. It's irresponsible to allow an unspayed/neutered animal to roam IMO.

I don't know much about cats, I'm a dog person, but I would agree with others that her destructive behaviour and moods could be due to her coming into season. Also, where there has been any kind of mis treatment, you cannot be sure of the cats health. Mylo may have been thrown around or abused and recieved hard knocks to the head. This can cause brain damage which can explain erratic behaviours in any animal.

I'm not saying that this is the case, just trying to say that you need to get Mylo checked by a vet ASAP. If you genuinely can't afford it, do you know anyone that would like to take Mylo? Could you take Mylo to a cats home to be rehomed with people that can afford to have him seen by a vet when he needs it?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have him either, just that an animal should not be made to wait for medical attention because we can't afford it. If that's the case, we shouldn't have them. Look on the PDSA website and find your local centre, they will be able to help you at a greatly reduced cost as you are currently unemployed.

You're obviously trying to do the right thing and well done for taking Mylo into your home. I hope you can get him the vet check soon and good luck in finding a new job soon!
Old 06-04-09, 11:37 AM   #12
Mel

Ahh! Been trying to quote but its being too slow!

Kate - I have been asking my mum to take Mylo to the vets but shes in a pretty bad situation herself with work and not having much money, shes actually said she cant afford it either.
I feel so bad because obviously when i first got mylo i knew i could afford whatever came our way, i really dont want anyone thinking its better to give him/her away or anything. I would'nt even try asking my dad as he and my mum split a long time ago, and doesnt 'agree' with funding me anymore :s
Theres no one else i can really ask, And yes its horrible to ask for money, if the worse come to the worse ill have to ask another family member but i may carry on trying with my mum, she must have some tucked away somewhere!..

Dizzyblonde - Mylos about 9 months now so fully mature i guess, when we looked earlier all we could see was the bum and the hair going down was split to each side with what looked like a little pink line couldnt really see any holes...
It is a little irritating now because i honestly thought mylo was male hense the name!
I dont think i could kill her kittens it would make me feel awful. If she was carrying them then i would let her have those and after shes back to normal possible get her spayed then? Either way if i get myself this job i can sort something out pretty quick.
Old 06-04-09, 11:46 AM   #13
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirl View Post
Your local Cat's Protection League http://www.cats.org.uk/ or RSPCA http://www.rspca.org.uk/ should be able to do it free or cheap (or at least know who can).

It's a minor op an your kitty will be fine in a day or two.
Thanks - I'll check the sites out now and get some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Most vets will give a free health check to any new animals that you are registering. If your vet doesn't offer this, phone around and find one that does. Given the situation Mylo came from, I would strongly advise you do this. Do get Mylo Spayed as soon as you can as you don't want the extra expense and responsibility of kittens. It's irresponsible to allow an unspayed/neutered animal to roam IMO.

I don't know much about cats, I'm a dog person, but I would agree with others that her destructive behaviour and moods could be due to her coming into season. Also, where there has been any kind of mis treatment, you cannot be sure of the cats health. Mylo may have been thrown around or abused and recieved hard knocks to the head. This can cause brain damage which can explain erratic behaviours in any animal.

I'm not saying that this is the case, just trying to say that you need to get Mylo checked by a vet ASAP. If you genuinely can't afford it, do you know anyone that would like to take Mylo? Could you take Mylo to a cats home to be rehomed with people that can afford to have him seen by a vet when he needs it?

I'm not saying you shouldn't have him either, just that an animal should not be made to wait for medical attention because we can't afford it. If that's the case, we shouldn't have them. Look on the PDSA website and find your local centre, they will be able to help you at a greatly reduced cost as you are currently unemployed.

You're obviously trying to do the right thing and well done for taking Mylo into your home. I hope you can get him the vet check soon and good luck in finding a new job soon!
I agree with what you have said, and i certainly wouldnt want mylo in any kind of pain or anything along those lines, I'll have a look into the RSPCA etc and see if they can offer anything..
I really dont want to rid of her not after what mylos been through, and she can be so lovely i would hate to loose her.

i appreciate all the advise, Mylo is infact my first pet and is my responsability, i wouldnt want to cause any harm or anything to go un-noticed with her, so ill start getting things sorted and see what i can do.
Old 06-04-09, 12:04 PM   #14
John 675

... You could just ask me? How much is it?
Old 06-04-09, 12:11 PM   #15
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylej View Post
... You could just ask me? How much is it?

?..you know you cant really afford it plus there would be jabs and stuff on top of that?
Old 06-04-09, 12:19 PM   #16
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Lylej View Post
?..you know you cant really afford it plus there would be jabs and stuff on top of that?
Have you NEVER had her at the vets?

Has she never had her jabs?

I hope the other cats havem because if she had caught anything while out, they may also now have it - Cat Flu and FIV (the cat version of HIV) are all out there to be caught......

Our cat is a house cat, an old man of about 14 that we rescued from Battersea, who doesnt get out much and we still have his jabs done and an annual checkup.

You REALLY need to have a couple of hundred quid available to look after any pet properly, its an expensive thing to keep a pet properly, just the other month I had to take one of our pet mice to the vets to get a lump/growth checked out.

Turns out it IS a tumour, which as it isnt causing the mouse discomfort is just best left - surgery on rodents is VERY tricky and there is every chance it would just come back.

The vet recommended no action, just to keep an eye on the fact that it wasnt causing the mouse any discomfort and that she is still eating.

That alone cost £20.

I really hate to say it, knowing how much pets can and do mean, but if you cant afford vets bills at short notice, then maybe you should rethink whether its the best situation for Mylo.

No judgment or critisism of you intended or meant, its a rubbish situation you are in.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 12:26 PM   #17
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Have you NEVER had her at the vets?

Has she never had her jabs?

I hope the other cats havem because if she had caught anything while out, they may also now have it - Cat Flu and FIV (the cat version of HIV) are all out there to be caught......

Our cat is a house cat, an old man of about 14 that we rescued from Battersea, who doesnt get out much and we still have his jabs done and an annual checkup.

You REALLY need to have a couple of hundred quid available to look after any pet properly, its an expensive thing to keep a pet properly, just the other month I had to take one of our pet mice to the vets to get a lump/growth checked out.

Turns out it IS a tumour, which as it isnt causing the mouse discomfort is just best left - surgery on rodents is VERY tricky and there is every chance it would just come back.

The vet recommended no action, just to keep an eye on the fact that it wasnt causing the mouse any discomfort and that she is still eating.

That alone cost £20.

I really hate to say it, knowing how much pets can and do mean, but if you cant afford vets bills at short notice, then maybe you should rethink whether its the best situation for Mylo.

No judgment or critisism of you intended or meant, its a rubbish situation you are in.
Shes never been no, but mainly because i went on my mums judgement that every cat she has had never had any jabs and had no problems - i know thats jumping the gun. But i just believed she knew more than me.
Obviously reading this opened my eyes some more.
I honestly didnt think this would of been a problem as i though Mylo was male. And no worrys i dont take anything you've said offensively - its true so i need to get my **** in gear and try sorting it..
Old 06-04-09, 12:39 PM   #18
Paws

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/

Try there for help mate, they will either spay her and do her jabs for free OR a small fee (normal cost for spaying can cost from £50 upwards, injections are about £30)
She needs at least her first set of jabs and needs to be spayed by the time shes 6mths old.
I have 2 female cats and they were both spayed at 6mths and had their jabs.
Old 06-04-09, 12:49 PM   #19
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Lylej View Post
Dizzyblonde - Mylos about 9 months now so fully mature i guess, when we looked earlier all we could see was the bum and the hair going down was split to each side with what looked like a little pink line couldnt really see any holes...
It is a little irritating now because i honestly thought mylo was male hense the name!
I dont think i could kill her kittens it would make me feel awful. If she was carrying them then i would let her have those and after shes back to normal possible get her spayed then? Either way if i get myself this job i can sort something out pretty quick.

Trust me, if he/she was a male you'd certainly be able to tell in the rear end by now They have two little pea sized fur balls poking out....lol.
I'm pretty certain what you are describing is a female. As the fur tends to grow like the way you describe (covers her girl bits)

Its a bit hard to try wrestling a cat at the best of times, without it turning inside out to stop you!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 12:50 PM   #20
Leopard_lily

Maybe try reading up a bit about how to care for cats http://www.amazon.co.uk/RSPCA-Comple...9022042&sr=1-4

or if you really are strapped for cash try your local library - just an idea