SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-11, 09:34 AM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Do you ever feel like...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
If more of us gave a little of themselves (and I don't mean money) to their local community, as you do Bri, we'd all be living in a nicer place IMO.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
+1
If there was a scheme where everybody in the community gave a few saturdays a year for local projects, I'd do my bit.
Trouble is where I live it's a bit divided, there's a crappy council estate other side of the area where 50% of the people wouldn't do anything and probably vandalise anything built for them.

Edit, mucho respecto Bri btw, takes a good soul to do stuff like you do, top work
Sounds very similar to where I live.
There's the old glassworks houses on the bottom and the 30's pebble dashes at the top.
The traditional sight on the council area was 3 guys on the Thursday or friday with 2 decks of larger bringing there sofa out the house to sunbathe.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 09:39 AM   #12
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyk View Post
Dizzy.........
Eventually the good person always gets hurt
yes but also.
Eventually the good person always WINS !!
I win every day
But not in a way people think. Home, and family, a sense of sticking together to get through together, life is very hard, but its also very easy, if you are prepared to do something yourself, instead of riding on others to provide it for you. Some people stand there at the right moment to shine under the light of the ones actually doing something good in the world.
I see many good people made to look bad, by people who aren't worth the poo on the bottom of the good persons shoe!

Charity, no matter how little, or in what direction does make a difference, but it begins in the home, a good deed, a cup of tea, saying hello to the old man walking past your garden, giving things away on freecycle you no longer need...you get the jist.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-08-11 at 09:41 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 10:04 AM   #13
MisterTommyH

Diz,

I don't know you and I didn't get to speak to you at the weekend (you always seemed deep in conversation and I thought it'd be rude to butt in with people I don't know). This was my first AR, but if this is the way that it makes the organisers feel then I'm not sure I'd want to go to the next one.

I don't think I'm quite one of the 'younger' people, but I'm certainly one of the newer members, and feel thats who your posts in this thread are aimed at. I've been to three of these weekends now and theres been some form of sniping that makes me feel almost guilty about going to two of them. Does this happen all the time?

Probably the wrong place to post this, and I'm sorry if I'm out of line (I am very greatful for yours and Ollies efforts), but all this just seems to take all the fun out of what was a great weekend, despite the terrible weather.

(Sorry for the derail Bri).
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 10:22 AM   #14
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Tommy, read my post thoroughly. Don't scan through. Take a moment to digest, and you'll find that in no way is this referring to an event.

Its a reflection of what happens in society. Be it after a damn good do, or not. The AR is an example of doing good, which has been generally accepted as so. For all those that are there. I could have used any matter of examples of a good deed, but I chose that for the subject. Read the post, and you will see, all good people to be included in the whole event, none are excluded as IMO...all those there were good people

Never accept that being deep in conversation is a way of not speaking to someone. I never have too little time for someone to come say hello. Every stranger I come across, I have had time to say hello.

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-08-11 at 10:23 AM.
Old 14-08-11, 10:33 AM   #15
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

ps......read the line of

....but this my act of charity,
and take note of 'good people' in the section, it may or may not be clear to you, theres a huge compliment to the good folk of the org there

Old 14-08-11, 10:35 AM   #16
Bri w

Nitpickers!

Its the friggin Nitpickers in this world that aren't helping one little bit. Some people will go out of their way to do something for others only for some jobsworth type person to pick holes in it coz it wasn't done exactly to their view.

Everyone should take on board the 80-20 rule. If you've/they've got 80% of it right stop picking holes in the 20% that could have been better. Or more importantly, help getting it right rather than stand on the sidelines with a friggin clipboard just waiting to jump in and shout "RUBBISH!"

It is only with absolutes that someone should say don't do that. The rest of the time should be about accepting something is different but still right...

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 10:37 AM   #17
MisterTommyH

Fair enough,

Just though I'd ask the question, because it's happened after two events that I've been to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
Never accept that being deep in conversation is a way of not speaking to someone. I never have too little time for someone to come say hello. Every stranger I come across, I have had time to say hello.
TBH That's probably me. I'll be the first to admit that my social skills can be a little retarded at times.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 10:48 AM   #18
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri w View Post
Nitpickers!

Its the friggin Nitpickers in this world that aren't helping one little bit. Some people will go out of their way to do something for others only for some jobsworth type person to pick holes in it coz it wasn't done exactly to their view.

Everyone should take on board the 80-20 rule. If you've/they've got 80% of it right stop picking holes in the 20% that could have been better. Or more importantly, help getting it right rather than stand on the sidelines with a friggin clipboard just waiting to jump in and shout "RUBBISH!"

It is only with absolutes that someone should say don't do that. The rest of the time should be about accepting something is different but still right...

I'm a nitpicker......apparently I micro manage everything
On the flip side of that coin.....look deeper, I'll give 100% to everything I put myself to. ..and I'll be nitpicking myself every damn step of the way. I just don't handle others nitpicking very well, as I'm already battering my own head against a brick wall at the same time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy H View Post
Fair enough,

Just though I'd ask the question, because it's happened after two events that I've been to.

TBH That's probably me. I'll be the first to admit that my social skills can be a little retarded at times.
No worries
....hmm retarded social skills....

Can you begin to imagine how much this hard exterior hides such a nervous interior? You couldn't even get close on that one. Some people may come across as very confident in a social environment, you couldn't get further from the truth.

Anyway, back to subject..................charity and the society today, I'd prefer to be in the 70s/80s/early 90s than the society we have to put up with today

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 14-08-11 at 10:51 AM.
Old 14-08-11, 02:06 PM   #19
daveangel

Going back to the charities, I'm fairly cynical about several of the bigger outfits because in my work as a postman they tend to bombard everybody aged above 64 with endless letter appeals for money, as we have to do them, all I can do is advise they invest in a shredder. I tend to avoid anything abroad and doorstep collections as you never know where or who it ends up with, as I get 3 collection bags a week sometimes they get used for the bin. I take anything for donation to my local Cancer Research shop in opening hours.
I was out earlier putting up two marquee's and will go back later to get them down, the payment for them goes to a local charity in my village, do that a few times a year. Breast/Cancer Research, Poppy Appeal and Help for Heroes are where it goes for me.

'99 'curvy' SV650S, R&G Bobbins, Renegade Endcan, no anodised bling. .
daveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-11, 08:28 PM   #20
The Idle Biker

No I never feel like saying stuff it. I get a bit charity weary and to be frank, I'm usually a soft touch. However I have at least two sets of Chuggers (Charity Muggers) to pass on my way to/from the office each day in London and I pretend to be on the phone.

That said, I always give cash to most causes that touch me, but its not as valuable as giving time, I agree.

Last night I was at the Cinema, eating £10's worth of sweets and coffee and junk and before the film, who pops up on the screen? Ewan Bloody MacGreger, thats who, making me feel guilty about my excess and asking for a fiver text for the famine. On this occasion I declined and ate more Jelly Babies.

You should never feel guilty about not always donating, but you should always consider how lucky you are compared to some in really desperate and awful situations.

Most of us are relatively lucky, don't feel sorry for yourself, get up and help someone else and don't do it for their thanks or because it makes YOU feel good.

(Preachy bit over, the film was Harry Potter Deathly Hallows and it was really rather good and the actress who play Hermione has grown up to be quite hot hasn't she?)