SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-07, 08:38 AM   #11
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: Can you trust the odometre?

I dont trust anything that emasures spmething when I dont know how it has been calibrated. Although I suspect the odometer is pretty much in the ball park; its roughly 60 miles from kingston to my house in brighton, which is about right if you work it out on the map

Matt
Old 09-11-07, 12:14 PM   #12
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Can you trust the odometre?

Luike basically any odo, if you disconnect the speedo it stops clocking up... Unavoidable, that, it's the same for any bike or car really. There's a few cars that don't use the same sensor for both but the same applies, you can just disconnect the distance sensor. So, basically, it's total child's play to disable any odometer so it doesn't clock up, if you don't mind losing the speedo and trip as well. There's no straightforward way to rewind an SV speedo though, you'd basically need to reprogram it which is tricky enough that it practically never happens for bikes.

I don't think there's any way to check if they're original clocks, unfortunately.

A taller profile tyre, 120/70 frinstance, would cause it to underread by about 5% compared to a standard one, incidentally.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 06:06 PM   #13
haggis

Default Re: Can you trust the odometer?

Also depends how far you lean, whether the bike was used manly on m'way or twisties. It's only a ballpark figure used for tyre circumference. Amazing how it adds up....

I did a run out with a mate last year. We both zero'd at the petrol station then went the same 50mile route and back to the station. Mine was a few tenths of a mile less than his. I lean further, because i'm a good bit faster in the bends than him. Now, i'm not boasting or anything - he would agree.

But we still thought it was a discrepancy in the speedo accuracy.... So we swapped bikes next time and sure enough i did nearly half a mile less over 50miles travelled.

The speedo is pretty easy to disconnect on curvys, a clear plastic 3pin connector up behind the radiator.
Old 09-11-07, 10:12 PM   #14
wheelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis View Post
Also depends how far you lean, whether the bike was used manly on m'way or twisties. It's only a ballpark figure used for tyre circumference. Amazing how it adds up....

I did a run out with a mate last year. We both zero'd at the petrol station then went the same 50mile route and back to the station. Mine was a few tenths of a mile less than his. I lean further, because i'm a good bit faster in the bends than him. Now, i'm not boasting or anything - he would agree.

But we still thought it was a discrepancy in the speedo accuracy.... So we swapped bikes next time and sure enough i did nearly half a mile less over 50miles travelled.

The speedo is pretty easy to disconnect on curvys, a clear plastic 3pin connector up behind the radiator.
Thats cos you was showing off pulling wheelies. and the wheel wasnt going round. The mileage might be genuine but the forks, sprockets and clutch will be fuber'd
Old 09-11-07, 10:47 PM   #15
haggis

If only that were true - hoisting a nice big half-mile crossed up wheelie.

Sadly, my feeble past efforts ended in crushed nuts.