SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-12-04, 08:26 PM   #11
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a
Hello,
Merry Christmas to everybody! I'm a wee bit confused as to why the bikes are restricted anyway? What was done to the bikes to restrict them in the first place?
MotorCyclist Magazine in the USA, lists the following stock 04 naked SV650 rear wheel dyno numbers.
73.5 HP @ 8,750 RPM
47.1 Ft. Lbs. Of Torque @ 7,250 RPM

Cheers, Richard
Merry Christmas, Richard!

The UK has a rather complicated system of motorcycle licences. I don't
remember the details (passed my theory test 2 years ago) but basically
if you are under 21 and have passed the test you can't ride a bike with
more than 33 bhp straight away. For 2 years you have to stick to under
33 bhp. One of the ways this can be achieved is by buying a more
powerful bike and temporarily "restricting" it, i.e. making it less powerful.
I don't know how this restriction is achieved technically but I know that
the possibility of restriction is incorporated in the design of many bikes.
Old 26-12-04, 11:33 PM   #12
adamfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1a
Hello,
Merry Christmas to everybody! I'm a wee bit confused as to why the bikes are restricted anyway? What was done to the bikes to restrict them in the first place?
MotorCyclist Magazine in the USA, lists the following stock 04 naked SV650 rear wheel dyno numbers.
73.5 HP @ 8,750 RPM
47.1 Ft. Lbs. Of Torque @ 7,250 RPM

Cheers, Richard
Merry Christmas, Richard!

The UK has a rather complicated system of motorcycle licences. I don't
remember the details (passed my theory test 2 years ago) but basically
if you are under 21 and have passed the test you can't ride a bike with
more than 33 bhp straight away. For 2 years you have to stick to under
33 bhp. One of the ways this can be achieved is by buying a more
powerful bike and temporarily "restricting" it, i.e. making it less powerful.
I don't know how this restriction is achieved technically but I know that
the possibility of restriction is incorporated in the design of many bikes.
with the k3/4 it's by simply changing the cdi unit under the seat. suzuki produce an official kit, you even get a little certificate to show if you get pulled over
Old 27-12-04, 12:08 AM   #13
wheelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Mine was bought as part of a rather larger loan which I'll not be paying off until the end of 2006
Me too, but I didnt have a choice.

I thought you would know better being in the financial service industry :P
Old 27-12-04, 02:19 AM   #14
a1a

Thanks Professor and adamfool for your response. I now understand the UK theory and principle of restricting the power of the motorcycles.
Cheers, Richard
Old 27-12-04, 11:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
At leas u can almost see the end, there was a program on the other day bout the mount of ppl in so much dept they will be paying off forever.
I hope me saying that ive paid mine off doesnt rub it in, wasnt the intention, wanted just to share my happiness!
I work in a bank branch and we see that all the time, folks with £20K+ on credit cards paying 15-30% interest... We had a 28 year old once who had £15K on a personal loan and over £40K on something like 10 different credit cards, he was only just earning enough to make the minimum payments so of course it just kept on getting worse...

I'm a bit in debt but it's all under control, so I'm not at all bothered by it... I could have it all paid off much faster, but I'd rather have a good time in the meantime, it'll still be cleared before I'm 30.

Good good!
Dept can be veru scary!
when i was 16 i had my first loan after only 3 months of working, i didnt appreciate saving, however the bike i bought with the loan was nicked ansd i wasnt insured for theft!!! I got it back but it cost 400 squids to get back on the road, then it beccame un relaible and i wass getting into trouble at work cause the dam thing wouldnt work in winter, i needed a bigger bike, so i topped up the loan and bought the sv! at 17 i owened nearly £4300! i managed to sell the lil 50, but spent some of the money on the sv improbing it, so paid less of the loan then i should/could have! so i was 17.5 owing 3 grand to the bank!!
When i met kitten, it made me take stock of prioritys!
So i made the conscious decision to pay it off asap!! so im now 19 and have cleared all my loan!, my pay cheque is now nearly all mine!
itis very is easy to get into debt as most of my familly know!
I hope i dont get back into it any time soon, or at least have a v large deposit for watever it is i buy.
Alex