SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-07, 09:59 AM   #11
Jdubya

Default Re: Helmets off at Petrol Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If I'd already filled up and then they told me to take my helmet off, before I could pay them does this mean they won't take my money?
Exactly! If they thought you were gonna do a runner they should not have turned the pump on!
Old 17-05-07, 09:59 AM   #12
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
If I'd already filled up and then they told me to take my helmet off, before I could pay them does this mean they won't take my money?
Ignore them if they let you fill up. Just smile and hand them the cash. Look them in the eye so they can see you're smiling. Never let the bastids grind you down!
If you're paying cash and they refuse to accept it, then technically, you could write a note stating what has happened, and that you attempted to pay cash but they refused to serve you. You sign it, get them to sign it, put the cash in your pocket & walk back to the bike.

Of course, put your address on the note too, and when the company get's in touch (via the police), you attempted to pay in legal tender & this was refused. They can go stuff themselves.

This is all in theory, and to my knowledge hasn't been tested. If you're paying by anything other than cash, I don't think it would work either, as cash is immediate tender.
Old 17-05-07, 10:02 AM   #13
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
nice idea lp, but in truth, most of them cant be ars*d talking to you anyway. I used to feel the same, but in recent experience it isnt worth the hassle, keep the lid on, stuff them !
sigh! That makes the world a slightly less cheery place. Not having a pop at you TC, you seem a nice person, but at the general miserableness folks seem to have towards each other these days.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-07, 10:04 AM   #14
Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
sigh! That makes the world a slightly less cheery place. Not having a pop at you TC, you seem a nice person, but at the general miserableness folks seem to have towards each other these days.
Pop away! I agree completely. Think I am resigning myself to the idea of if you cant beat them join them!

Ask again tomorrow and I may feel differently
Old 17-05-07, 10:05 AM   #15
Grinch

Ask Viney, I think he's tested the theroy.
Old 17-05-07, 10:09 AM   #16
MiniMatt

Just thought of something - what if you were wearing a balaclava underneath the lid? I did a stint as a petrol station attendant in my youth and I sure as hell know what would scare me more - bloke in a balaclava more scary than bloke in a lid every time
Old 17-05-07, 10:18 AM   #17
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

I would do as Baph says, if you have attempted to pay then they can't get the poilice involved. It is only when you DON'T attempt to make any form of payment then you are commiting theft. But if they won't take your money then walk away and say thank you.

If the police do come knocking then you just say I tried to pay, but she refused ! Civil debt - will they take you to the small claims court for your tank of petrol??? I think not
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-07, 10:22 AM   #18
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
Just thought of something - what if you were wearing a balaclava underneath the lid? I did a stint as a petrol station attendant in my youth and I sure as hell know what would scare me more - bloke in a balaclava more scary than bloke in a lid every time
I quite often wear a blaclava-come-neck-warmer. It's quite funny when I lift the Justissimo flip-up part to reveal that my face is still covered. Quite often spooks people.

In fact, only last weekend, I was wearing the Justissimo, with neck warmer underneath, and my high vis jacket (the one I often get mistaken for a copper in)... A little kid thought I was a "robber!"

Tickled me that did, theifs walk around in high-vis, naturally! Mind you, he also thought my helmet was "Cool."
Old 17-05-07, 10:23 AM   #19
DanDare

Years ago I used to work at this station and I know for fact tat they never look at who's filling and just press the flashing button on the machine to allow fuel.

There's nothing on the pumps to say remove my helmet until you get to the door. So do I remove my helmet then. Trouble is then it your carrying it which makes it difficult to try and get your wallet and cash out.

Also I find filling on the bike easier and safer then if its on its side stand.

Petrol Stations are compensated for drive offs so if I decide to drive off its my choice.

I also wary of leaving my helmet and gloves by the bike when paying as a friend had his nicked by some little chav's a few years back.

Irony then is the camera's didn't cover the far pumps and so they got away.
Old 17-05-07, 10:33 AM   #20
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDare View Post
Also I find filling on the bike easier and safer then if its on its side stand.
So you've never slipped in the diesel that got spilt earlier, just where your feet are. I have to admit, I cringe when I see people filling up while still sitting on the bike. Just picture the scene: filler cap open, pump running, tank nearly full and your foot slips in that diesel slick...