SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-12-07, 09:54 PM   #11
Sean_C

Default Re: Imported SVs

Ah, section three says declared new at first registration. I'm blind, sorry

The lights sorted-might just be the levels which are correct? Not which lights actually turn on for what?
Can someone tell me exactly what the headlights do on a 'proper' UK model? i.e. both on for dipped and one changes for main?
Old 26-12-07, 10:05 PM   #12
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
Can someone tell me exactly what the headlights do on a 'proper' UK model? i.e. both on for dipped and one changes for main?
Its the side of the road they point to , headlights on bikes and cars point to the edge of the road so a Euro import will point to the middle of the road over hear. It IS one of the tests in the MOT, hence why mine got picked up a few years ago
Old 26-12-07, 10:09 PM   #13
orose

I don't think it actually matters which lights turn on and off - it certainly used to be that if you had two, both had to be on in both settings (high and low beam), but I think they changed that when ducati complained (seriously - another rule change to favour the italians) about the 916s that were coming up for their first MOT which had one light for low and two for high beam.

The only thing to watch for is that they have to dip towards the left, so I'd presume that that meant the left light should be the one on for low beam. You're probably best off finding a tame MOT tester to ask to make sure, however - the rules do change as and when the DOT see fit.
Old 26-12-07, 10:15 PM   #14
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

The full UK number should be JS1AV111200104066 onwards.

What orose is referring to is a grey import which has previously been owned abroad. A parallel import is a brand new bike meant for another country.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-07, 10:17 PM   #15
Paws

Grey import: For every 600 cc model bike there is normally a 400 cc (and sometimes a 250 cc) equivalent, which has been designed to comply with another countries motorcycle licence restrictions. There are literally dozens of 400 cc models including a Bandit, VFR, CBR and ZXR (official UK model). These bikes will do about 120+ Mph and produce around 50 - 60 BHP. Bikes destined for America, Germany and some other countries (not just 400cc either) may have emission controls, power restrictions and headlight modifications not required (or necessarily desired) in the UK Market. Japanese imports often have lower powerred headlights (35-45w rather than 55-60w). Some of these can be expensive to correct. When considerring a grey import it is better to go after those that are most popular. This helps to secure decent parts availability and mechanical knowledge.
Ideal for shorter riders as they often have a lower seat and lightweight handling.
Watch out for unusual restrictions and expensive, rare, parts
Parallel Imports: The once thriving parallel import industry boomed when official UK prices were ridiculously high, compared with Europe. Although UK importers have realised the threat from parallel imports, you'll still find many up to 20% cheaper. Unlike a grey import, a parallel will be similar to an official import, but my need a KPH - MPH and headlight conversion. In the strictest form a Parallel import should be full UK specification, just not imported via the official UK importer and sold through an official dealer. However, most manufacturers will not supply UK bikes via the back door in this way. Therefore strictly speaking few true parallel bikes exist. New Parallel imports (sourced from Europe) should have the same manufacturers warranty as an official UK bike. However, you may need to be proactive about recalls and warranty work, as the manufacturer may not necessarily know where the bike is.
Cheaper than an official UK bike, but personally I'd go for a pre-reg over a parallel.
Lower re-sale price and subtle name differences
Old 26-12-07, 10:19 PM   #16
Sean_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by orose View Post
(seriously - another rule change to favour the italians)..
heheheheh

Thanks.
Since the previous owners haven't had it serviced in over 9k miles I'm going to get it serviced before I do many more, I'll get the guy to have a nosey about the lights too.
Old 26-12-07, 10:23 PM   #17
Sean_C

My chassis number is JS1AV1111... Thats before what you showed Lissa, right?

Old 26-12-07, 10:26 PM   #18
Sean_C

Thanks paws, wasn't up on the lingo
Old 26-12-07, 10:28 PM   #19
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_C View Post
My chassis number is JS1AV1111... Thats before what you showed Lissa, right?

Sorry to confuse you, Hun. Blame Pete! Where you have the 1 as the fourth number, all our listings for UK faired curvy's have a 2, which we are now assuming is the country code, so it appears yours is an import, but one where the lights have been changed but maybe the loom hasn't.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-07, 10:32 PM   #20
Sean_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
Sorry to confuse you, Hun. Blame Pete! Where you have the 1 as the fourth number, all our listings for UK faired curvy's have a 2, which we are now assuming is the country code, so it appears yours is an import, but one where the lights have been changed but maybe the loom hasn't.
Heh, s'alright, I'm easily confused sometimes :P

So, what I need to do is change the loom? Or go to a breaker and get the H4 connectors for the left bulb and let my dad at the electrics, and all should be rosey?