SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-08-08, 06:26 PM   #11
natcar

Default Re: Finished my project

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky03 View Post
let me know what bit you need (year etc)and i'll do some asking around.

husky
I need one of these but straighter obviously- its the clock/cowling/headlight bracket. I replaced it with a J1 ZX6R bracket but the mirror arms are an inch longer so doesnt line up. (It is a 2002 A1) I have also tried a 2002 A1 bracket but this is completely different - different headlight mounting and separate mirror bracket??

I could just cut off an inch and weld it but would rather find the correct bit.

Old 24-08-08, 08:09 PM   #12
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by natcar View Post
I need one of these but straighter obviously- its the clock/cowling/headlight bracket. I replaced it with a J1 ZX6R bracket but the mirror arms are an inch longer so doesnt line up. (It is a 2002 A1) I have also tried a 2002 A1 bracket but this is completely different - different headlight mounting and separate mirror bracket??

I could just cut off an inch and weld it but would rather find the correct bit.
According to Skidmarx, the top fairing is identical for both the J1/2 and the A1 models. I'm certain a mate of mine has fitted a 636 A1 top fairing onto his ZX6R J1 when he binned the bike, and it bolted straight on.

I'd check the straightness of the bike before making assumptions about the suitability of the supplied brackets. Just a slight touch that's knocked a certain point on a lower mounting out by 2 or 3mm will easily show as a difference of 25mm over the height of a fairing. You may find that if the side panel mounts by the rear of the engine are pushed backwards that will sometimes leave a gap of an inch or so at the mirror mounts as the whole fairing pivots around that point.
Old 24-08-08, 10:16 PM   #13
natcar

The frame is straight and if I could straighten the original bracket it would fit, but the one I have has longer mirror arms and seller assures me its a J1. Not sure if the front end has been replaced before which is possible as a lot of components (zx9r or different years) will swap easily enough but all have minor differences.
The "correct" A1 bracket is nothing like mine and doesnt fit the headlamp (Y-shaped with no mirror arms)