SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-15, 08:53 AM   #11
jetfish

Default Re: Sv1000 better made than the SV650?

I agree with skip here, your wringing the neck of the 650 whilst a thousand is beyond most riders. If the tuono is the same as the rsv I had you have to keep the battery in top condition because it's related to the sprag clutch. Much more info on the rsv forum.
Old 30-04-15, 08:55 AM   #12
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I have also had both and have ridden another SV650 quite a bit since moving them on and I think the 650 is more "fun". The SV1000 has more go but its not a "tear your arms off fast" bike - its certainly not a 130hp bike - you would need an old TL1000 for that sort of performance from that engine. Its feels a lot heavier than a 650 too and for me personally who rides mainly B-roads I had a much bigger grin wringing the 650s neck

Still, go scratch that itch if its floating your boat - you can always move it on if its not what you hoped.
Hmm people say the vfr is a heavy bike though, but you cant feel it at all in the bends. The extra bit of bulk i find is nicer, makes it more sure footed. Sv1000 shouldnt be too bad compared?

Ah 118bhp it says on mcn, and actually tested at 106. Was hoping it would be much faster than the vfr, which is 110bhp. Torque is a big thing, but is it enough?
Old 30-04-15, 09:01 AM   #13
otaylor38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfish View Post
I agree with skip here, your wringing the neck of the 650 whilst a thousand is beyond most riders. If the tuono is the same as the rsv I had you have to keep the battery in top condition because it's related to the sprag clutch. Much more info on the rsv forum.
ah cheers. I'll look into that. Got an optimiser in the garage though so shouldnt be too much of a problem, in theory!

I did always find the sv wanting more though. You can open it up n leave there. Kinda want something where I've got to put more into it, open it up at any revs n just take off.

Does anybody else get the itch for something really fast, or is it just me? Haha
Old 30-04-15, 10:28 AM   #14
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaylor38 View Post
Hmm people say the vfr is a heavy bike though, but you cant feel it at all in the bends. The extra bit of bulk i find is nicer, makes it more sure footed. Sv1000 shouldnt be too bad compared?

Ah 118bhp it says on mcn, and actually tested at 106. Was hoping it would be much faster than the vfr, which is 110bhp. Torque is a big thing, but is it enough?
Don't get me wrong the SV1000 isn't a Blackbird (that's one heavy bike!) but its weight is definitely noticeable over the 650.

Honestly it really isn't that fast for a 1000cc bike - I had twin Leo Vince cans, K&N and a properly mapped Power Commander from BSD Developments (114hp at the back wheel) and although swift it was never anything like an R1/Fireblade in terms of power... Its not a slouch but its not a fire breathing monster either...
Old 30-04-15, 10:41 AM   #15
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Had a 56 plate RSV

Yes it was quite quick
But it's not a licence freindly bike.
Not happy poodleing about.
Take it down the twisty B roads it's sublime.
But it's horses for courses.
Every one has different things they want from a bike.
I had a hoot on the little Ducati monster. Crap speedo display put me off.
Daytona,675 Loved it.
Was easy to use fast or slow.
The feedback from the suspension spot on after some tweaks.
Unfortunately nakerd knee ment it has to go.
Tried a yam Tracer. Too high to be practical.
But what a sweet motor
MT 09, was older version and needs a re map ( apparently done)
MT 07. Ace little bike
The Tiger 800. Comfortable. Quick enough for me tbh.Fun yes it is .Grunty bike.
So get out the licence. Trapse round the dealers and try anything that catches your eye.
Then make the deal.
Old 30-04-15, 10:53 AM   #16
Skip
Mega Poster

Funny really - after 10 years of riding I have had all sorts of bikes and for the past 2 years I have been riding an old 2003 Hornet 600 and (for me) its everything I need in a bike at the moment...
  • Cheap to insure
  • Cheap to tax
  • Fast enough for the riding I do
  • 13,000rpm redline is fun to chase
  • I think it still looks good
  • Its comfy
  • Can tour on it
  • Can go on a trackday with it

Happy days

As NTEC says - its all horses for courses!
Old 30-04-15, 11:48 AM   #17
otaylor38

Ah cheers for the input guys

I think I'll see if i can get a test ride on a tuono when the weathers fit. Maybe better at lower speeds being a naked bike too?

Think i just fancy a big vtwin hoot for a while, then I'll probably come back down and appreciate something else.

Like you say, i think I've got an itch i might have to scratch
Old 30-04-15, 12:26 PM   #18
Trev B

I know there is no substitute for horse power(or kilowatts),and yes I've had much bigger bikes than my SV but that was long before every road or motorway had cameras everywhere and incriminating dash cams and p;zz poor roads ,but I can honestly say the SV 650, is about as good as it gets for all round road use,blades R1,bmw etc,are fine but the sensation of speed for me is not looking at the number on the speedo,it's the feel of a bike working at 80 or 90% + of its ability,the buzz through the whole machine!the parts greater than the sum of the whole,any of the bigger bike at SV650 speed are using about 40% of what they can do, 80 or 90% is fine on the track or closed roads but on the UK roads in their current state of repair and the amount of traffic to me is not a pleasure?and I don't hang about but to me it's about useable power!kicking down one or two gears and FEEL yourself being pushed through a curve with nice smooth power curve,not having to control a nuclear power plant at the back wheel,Keep with the SV 650 on the road,and for thrills go racing or do track days....!!!
Old 30-04-15, 02:53 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

how about a nice big ducati?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-15, 03:12 PM   #20
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
how about a nice big ducati?
Don't start me off, I'm nearly over that lust