SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-07-06, 07:33 AM   #11
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Thanks everyone, I will be having another crack at it this afternoon... seems odd though that Dreamweaver would implement the links wrong - it has to be something I have done!
When you create links you can tell it to be relitive or absolute. Also it depends on where the original file was saved etc..
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-06, 07:38 AM   #12
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I will be having another crack at it this afternoon... seems odd though that Dreamweaver would implement the links wrong - it has to be something I have done!
When you create links you can tell it to be relitive or absolute. Also it depends on where the original file was saved etc..
I am hoping you are right there TSM - I did try editing the HTML with no / in front of the page names, but it made no difference - the pages all display fine on their own so it has to be a simple links problem - obviously I must be simpler...!
Old 28-07-06, 10:48 AM   #13
Ping

Silly question but your actual filenames... do they end in .htm or .html? It's an easy thing to miss if you haven't already made sure.

You can test your framset by setting the frame links to other pages outside your site (i.e. set them to http://forums.sv650.org/ - as long as there's no framebusting code)

Good luck

Edit: I just tested the frameset code in TSM's post and it works with all the links to here so I reckon you've got files with .htm extensions instead of .html.
Old 28-07-06, 11:01 AM   #14
Skip
Mega Poster

Originally I had them with .htm extensions but then changed them to .html thinking that was the problem. Do frames rely on html extensions then? I will double check all this later - thanks
Old 28-07-06, 11:03 AM   #15
MattTheLoony

Quote:
Originally I had them with .htm extensions but then changed them to .html thinking that was the problem. Do frames rely on html extensions then? I will double check all this later - thanks
Frames don't rely on extensions. The links just need to match your files.
Old 28-07-06, 11:07 AM   #16
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheLoony
Quote:
I created my own files called footer.html, banner.html and main.htm. The links in the frameset were all directed to .html extensions and couldn't find main.html, so I'm not entirely sure your info is entirely correct.

Btw, I also took out the / in all the links i.e. src="banner.html"
Old 28-07-06, 11:10 AM   #17
MattTheLoony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Quote:
Quote:
I created my own files called footer.html, banner.html and main.htm. The links in the frameset were all directed to .html extensions and couldn't find main.html, so I'm not entirely sure your info is entirely correct.

That's because you created main.htm, of course it can't find main.html
Old 28-07-06, 11:11 AM   #18
Carsick

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Btw, I also took out the / in all the links i.e. src="banner.html"
No, he's right. The value of the src attribute must be the same as the full name of the file. The actual extension is irrelevent, so long as they are the same.
Unfortunately, "features" like Windows XP hiding file extensions has meant that most people don't realise that an extension is still a full part of the filename and is nothing special.
Old 28-07-06, 11:19 AM   #19
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
No, he's right. The value of the src attribute must be the same as the full name of the file. The actual extension is irrelevent, so long as they are the same.
Not wishing to teach my granny to suck eggs, I know you were trying to keep thinks simple but.

Errrr. Not quite, the extension tells the web server what to do with the file. You don't write the mime encoding stuff into a HTML file but when the web server presents it ,there are encoding headers dictated by the file type. Similarly a file does not need to be html content, it could be php, perl or an application. The server must know what to do with it and this is dictated either by the file extension, presence in a cgi directory etc.
Old 28-07-06, 11:19 AM   #20
Ping

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's because you created main.htm, of course it can't find main.html
Which is exactly my point. The extensions (link and filename) have to match or it won't work.