SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-07, 11:27 AM   #11
Durbs

Default Re: Bit of an off today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Damn you were lucky. Had the front lock up once on my old bike from just touching the front brake and i was on my **** no warning or anything!
Aye, i think if i'd been carrying a bit more speed I certainly would have been picking the bike up in front of the assembled Cheshire set supping their expresso's. Also it helped that the queue was moving so i could put the power on without slamming into the back of something.

But, yeah, i had no warning too, it was just an immediate lockup. Strange as in the (albeit short) time i've had my SV i've found it nothing but rock solid stable and it hasnt done anything remotely like that to me. All i can think is it must have been diesel or something. Back brake only till next summer then
Old 17-12-07, 10:20 PM   #12
JohnK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
Damn you were lucky. Had the front lock up once on my old bike from just touching the front brake and i was on my **** no warning or anything!

Thats why i try to stick with using engine and rear brake in winter, rear wheel skid is easier to control imo.
Hear hear, I did exactly the same thing - the day after buying my shiny new bike! Was seriously ****ed off! Watching it slide down the road in front of me was not pleasant!

Glad you're ok, I've not been on my bike since the summer cos I'm at Uni. Not sure if I'm so keen to have a fun run or two when I get home - there's a lot of off's happening at the mo....Careful guys!
Old 17-12-07, 10:31 PM   #13
metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Hear hear, I did exactly the same thing - the day after buying my shiny new bike! Was seriously ****ed off! Watching it slide down the road in front of me was not pleasant!

Glad you're ok, I've not been on my bike since the summer cos I'm at Uni. Not sure if I'm so keen to have a fun run or two when I get home - there's a lot of off's happening at the mo....Careful guys!
Go for a ride, just take care when you do! The weathes=r is good for it right now.

For sure watch out with very cold tyres, my rear let go pulling onto the road, but I rolled off the throttle brought the bike under contol and carried on, talked with it about a friend at work. Cold rubber is like ice, just don't go racing about I have been enjoying myself. I put my hands on the tyres after a ride, they had warmed up but not that much.....take care guys
Old 18-12-07, 12:54 AM   #14
ASM-Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethunder View Post
Go for a ride, just take care when you do! The weathes=r is good for it right now.

For sure watch out with very cold tyres, my rear let go pulling onto the road, but I rolled off the throttle brought the bike under contol and carried on, talked with it about a friend at work. Cold rubber is like ice, just don't go racing about I have been enjoying myself. I put my hands on the tyres after a ride, they had warmed up but not that much.....take care guys
Assuming you have ridden on ice before, you'll know that cold tyres really arn't that terrible! As good as warm tyres....of course not....but like ice.

Bah.
Old 18-12-07, 07:31 AM   #15
Stig

Bugger mate.
Old 18-12-07, 08:19 AM   #16
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Oiled View Post
Only 50 yards from my door!

Turning on to the main street, started to accelerate and the next thing the bike had gone from under me, with me thinking "what the f**k happened there?". Thank god for R&G's - only damage was a broken indicator, snapped end off rear brake lever and a bit of a scuff to the front edge of the can. Oh and a nice chamfer ground onto the crash bung.

Started bike & gently rode home then got the car out to go to the club (now late for squash game) and the offside car wheel spun at exactly the same place. So on the way back I check and sure enough, a nice metre square oily patch, maybe diesel - mystery solved.

Cheap lesson I guess - could have been much worse, so beware of cold damp roads and watch out for oil & diesel patches. As for me, swollen knuckles on right hand was the only damage (apart from dented pride).

Cheers Keith

DOH, no harm done though

provided you an excuse for loosing at squash though ey
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-07, 06:06 PM   #17
Well Oiled

Thanks for the support. Been travelling to Germany yesterday and today, and some of the people I'm dealing with have good firm handshakes. Knuckles are still sore and they are wondering why I grimace every time I shake hands.

Anyone got a brake pedal?
Old 18-12-07, 06:08 PM   #18
Well Oiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
DOH, no harm done though

provided you an excuse for loosing at squash though ey
I never said I lost did I? (but here's a clue )
Old 19-12-07, 12:35 AM   #19
sinbad

Bad luck. With the cold ambient temperatures, low sun and moist air it has been slippy in patches even at the best of times. The roads just have that greasy look to them. It's hard to enjoy riding the bike when it's like that, you just can't trust the surface.
Old 19-12-07, 12:58 AM   #20
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
Aye, i think if i'd been carrying a bit more speed I certainly would have been picking the bike up in front of the assembled Cheshire set supping their expresso's. Also it helped that the queue was moving so i could put the power on without slamming into the back of something.

But, yeah, i had no warning too, it was just an immediate lockup. Strange as in the (albeit short) time i've had my SV i've found it nothing but rock solid stable and it hasnt done anything remotely like that to me. All i can think is it must have been diesel or something. Back brake only till next summer then
Lucky for me it wasnt on the SV it was on my old little Honda VT250FD ha ha.

The SV is like you said pretty solid feeling when it comes to feeling from the bike. I managed to get the bike going sideways the other day going over saltersgate on a169 which wasnt fun... luckily I reacted quickly and kept it up . Wasnt fun though.