SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-08-04, 11:01 PM   #11
Johnboy

Default Handlebar conversion to a 650s

Well, I'd like to say it was a doddle , but after a few minor set backs it is finally done.

The problems were numerous, and compromises had to be accepted.
In no particular order or emphasis these were:

Longer brake line to the 'splitter' was made up by my local accessories shop and the alignment of the banjos were frustating. (I may replace the whole lot with a set of BSR lines over the winter)

Fabricating a bracket from a mirror mount for the master cylinder reservoir was time consuming and a bit hit and miss, but turned out ok in the end.

I settled for some 'Vincent Straights' bars which although they only raise you about halfway, avoided having to hack the fairing about.

I bought a new flip up screen which had to be cut to shape, again time consuming as you have to cover the whole screen in masking tape to prevent scratches while shaping. Unfortunately a half inch crack resulted in a 'revised' shape which reduced the flip up effect.
The screen didn't quite fit the fairing anyway so a bit more fine tuning was necessary.

The cables were ok although the clutch cable is right on the limit at full right lock.

The top yoke off an unfaired SV sits lower and exposes about 4-5mm of fork tube and a spacer had to be made for the yoke top nut.

The whole process has taken several weeks with a fortnight break in the middle and I guess around £90 - £100.

It rides nicely, a better test when I take it to the Manx GP at the end of the month. Would I do again? Probably, but it would have been easier to sell it and buy an unfaired in the first place.

Not a bad exercise overall though, and if I can figure out how I'll post some pictures on here too.
Old 04-10-04, 12:22 PM   #12
viner

Default handlebar risers

Just got the 2004 Busters catalogue and on page126 are a set of RAASK handlebar raisers available to fit 33 35 36 37 38 40 and 41 diameter forks. They retail at £35.00 which seems a bloody bargain to me. Only prob is you have to have at least an inch of fork showing above top yoke for these to clamp to. Busters web site is www.busters-accessories.co.uk
Hope this of help to anyone
Old 09-03-05, 07:51 PM   #13
BURNER

Anybody got the 2005 Busters catalogue yet?
Old 09-03-05, 10:10 PM   #14
admin
John T
Mega Poster

I've just fitted sunrisers. I'm working on an article for next month.

Here's some teasers

The job is now complete and a quick test ride last weekend put a big smile on my face.

John
Old 09-03-05, 11:33 PM   #15
amarko5

Very nice john (but how many hands have u got ? 4 ) :P

did you have any probs with cables.

ohh and you must have very small hands for the last pictures cutdown clipons :P

only kiddin
Old 10-03-05, 07:39 AM   #16
jonacol

From the other side of the coin, I'm considering putting clip-ons to my naked, anyone got a pair going spare?
Old 10-03-05, 08:30 PM   #17
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
did you have any probs with cables.

ohh and you must have very small hands for the last pictures cutdown clipons
I had to remove the wiring loom guide that sits around the ignition key barrel. It gave the wiring a bit more slack. Throttle and clutch cables seem fine. Choke cable had to be re-routed to the other side of the fork leg.

Biggest problem is the front brake pipe. You will need a longer top hose. I chose to replace all the brake lines with a twin line setup, so no splitter.

I took these photos to show readers the height difference. It's harder to see once the old bars have been hacked off.

John
Old 11-03-05, 12:21 AM   #18
extensive

here is my write up on the sunrisers

http://students.cup.edu/rep9319/page...vtutrisers.htm
Old 11-03-05, 09:09 AM   #19
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by extensive
here is my write up on the sunrisers

http://students.cup.edu/rep9319/page...vtutrisers.htm
Good guide